Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Swiss and Italian alps weather

Aleksandar13

Hi all, 

I will be leaving on a trip to Montenegro on the new t7 in June next year and was wondering what people's experience is in the mountains. 

Deciding on what gear to use for the trip. 

5 days from Essex to Montenegro through the alps, 2 days in the alps the 2 on the coast and 1 to day to get to Switzerland. 

Look forward to your comments. 

Aleks 

Edited by Aleksandar13

• Premium Member

Every time I've been to the Alps in June it's been outrageously hot, one year it was 45 degrees in southern Germany and still 38 in Andermatt in Switzerland but I am from Scotland so anything over 15 degrees would be hot for me. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, erey said:

June could be hot but cold too. You could have a lot of rain sometimes. Mountains are unpredictable.

Last year it was only 3 degrees going over the Fluela pass in July, so yes it can vary hugely. 

To the OP, if staying anywhere in Switzerland, take plenty money, you'll need it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cabby said:

Last year it was only 3 degrees going over the Fluela pass in July, so yes it can vary hugely. 

To the OP, if staying anywhere in Switzerland, take plenty money, you'll need it. 

I have lived in the mountains myself back when I was living in Germany, Berchtesgaden to be more precise. 

I know it can be rainy and sun and all sorts. 

Reason for my question is that I prefer to ride in leather jacket with rain suit over but I'm questioning this as the right gear for the trip. 

I'm a bit concerned about overheating on the coast and getting cold in the mountains. 

Just don't feel comfortable in textile jacket. 

Don't want to start a debate but wondered if people go touring on leathers or everyone has converted to textile? 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Hi all, 

I will be leaving on a trip to Montenegro on the new t7 in June next year and was wondering what people's experience is in the mountains. 

Deciding on what gear to use for the trip. 

5 days from Essex to Montenegro through the alps, 2 days in the alps the 2 on the coast and 1 to day to get to Switzerland. 

Look forward to your comments. 

Aleks 

I did Transeurotrail Montenegro on 12-13 June this year. Weather was very good, but in 3 plases high in the mountains there was snow. We where first this year who rode those mountain passes.

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I have lived in the mountains myself back when I was living in Germany, Berchtesgaden to be more precise. 

I know it can be rainy and sun and all sorts. 

Reason for my question is that I prefer to ride in leather jacket with rain suit over but I'm questioning this as the right gear for the trip. 

I'm a bit concerned about overheating on the coast and getting cold in the mountains. 

Just don't feel comfortable in textile jacket. 

Don't want to start a debate but wondered if people go touring on leathers or everyone has converted to textile? 

I rode in motocross shirt in the mountains and it was very warm. On the cost we had about 35 degrees celsius. It will be very very hot in leathers!

Not my video but worth to see. It's from the trip  to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia made on May this year. You can see  how the weather looks like.

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 2

Thanks all for the input I'll probably end up going in leather jacket and textile trousers as this is how I feel the most comfortable on the bike. 

• Premium Member

If you have bike jeans that's what I wear, textiles trousers will just be too hot. A few years ago my partner had to stop in Brigg to change out her leather trousers, took her over half an hour to get them off it was that hot. 

• Like 1