Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Preparing to take delivery of new T7

Cornflake

Hello everyone!

I just got the call today that my bike is finally ready for pickup. Only took 8 months😂 I’ve heard that people have had certain issues with their bikes being improperly setup at the dealership. Since I plan on riding mine home I was hoping you all could chime in with anything you’ve heard/things I should give a second glance when I take possession of the bike. Thank you. 

The only issue I had was a couple of the body panel fasteners came loose. Lost one.  - Make sure they are all snug so you don't loose any.

• Like 1

Have them set the suspension to your weight as good as possible and take the free play out of throttle cable, just barely enough to prevent revving when turning the handlebar.
I stopped on my way home from the dealer to remove the slack out of the cable.

• Like 2

• Moderators

@Cornflake Wouldn't hurt to check the front brake calipers to confirm equal distance clearance from the rotors.  Some improper front axle alignment by dealers has been seen by new owners.

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The rear brake reservoir is usually overfilled.

Fluid is unable to expand when it heats up and this causes pressure to be applied to pads leading to rapid rear brake pad wear.

Take the cap off and suck a bit out.  Drop the level to the half way mark.

• Like 3

Check the tire pressure before you ride away.  I took delivery of a new bike (not the T7) and rode it 30 km home and fought it all the way.  I thought "what the hell is going on here".  First thing I did is check the tire pressure and found no pressure in the front or the back.  Scary that?

And make sure they fill it for you so you can get home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan M said:

The only issue I had was a couple of the body panel fasteners came loose. Lost one.  - Make sure they are all snug so you don't loose any.

What are they, phillips screws? 8mm bolts?  Torx screws?  I'll take the appropriate tool with me when I get mine

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, winddown said:

What are they, phillips screws? 8mm bolts?  Torx screws?  I'll take the appropriate tool with me when I get mine

The ones I had loosen were T30 Torx.  There are also 4m & 5mm allen but I'd think it unlikely those would loosen..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winddown said:

You got what you need in the standard toolkit under the seat.
That's what i used to adjust the free play in the throttle cable after a few roundabouts, it was i bit nervous there.
I also adjusted the levers at that moment when i was at in anyway and the torx is also in the kit.

• Like 3

Ok, the tools are in the kit, good.  I have some of the easy undo loctite in a small bottle, if I fand any loose I'll add a drop.

On 2/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, williestreet said:

The rear brake reservoir is usually overfilled.

Fluid is unable to expand when it heats up and this causes pressure to be applied to pads leading to rapid rear brake pad wear.

Take the cap off and suck a bit out.  Drop the level to the half way mark.

Same happened to me which resulted in waiting having to replace rotor, pads, calipers, rebuild job on master cylinder, etc..

On 2/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, williestreet said: