Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Recommend some heavy duty waterproof grease for head bearing, etc.

ADVUSA

What can you recommend available in the USA for heavy duty waterproof grease.

I originally ordered Valvoline Moly-Fortified Gray Full Synthetic   however there are reports on reviews of separation and liquid!

You could try this grease and it will work.  Available at Amazon.com but you could buy some at your local automotive store.

I use this product and it works well. Available on Amazon.ca

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

Always funny to read about waterproof grease, ever tried to just rinse any grease off with just cold water?

There are 2 types of waterproof bearing grease, one is to have a reason to make it more expensive and the other is for use in really harsh environments like drilling platforms but that type has other additives depending on the use but you have to think extra high pressure, heat, acid's and whatever can give problems.
I use a simple SKF bearing grease which just says "bearing grease".
The reason why the grease disappears is pressure washing and not just rain or wading, if that's the case reaply grease but ad new seals as well because bad seals  are more likely to be the cause if it is not pressure washing.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Always funny to read about waterproof grease, ever tried to just rinse any grease off with just cold water?

There are 2 types of waterproof bearing grease, one is to have a reason to make it more expensive and the other is for use in really harsh environments like drilling platforms but that type has other additives depending on the use but you have to think extra high pressure, heat, acid's and whatever can give problems.
I use a simple SKF bearing grease which just says "bearing grease".
The reason why the grease disappears is pressure washing and not just rain or wading, if that's the case reaply grease but ad new seals as well because bad seals  are more likely to be the cause if it is not pressure washing.

Some good points!  Thanks.

• Like 2

I’ve used BelRay waterproof bearing grease for many years and it seems to work great for me.  YMMV

99540-301293-waterproof-grease_og.jpg

Excellent protection from dirt and saltwater.

• Like 2

mobil 222 special grease - i ve been using this one all my dirtbikes which had tough life

11 minutes ago, concours said:

drill & tap for grease fitting. one & done.

👍agreed. Definitely the worst idea to save money the manufacturers ever had, removing grease nipples. They make maintenance so much easier ( and more likely to be done).  Got them all over the 1vj. 👍

I wonder if they make more money selling new bearings and axis pins/bushes to us  🤔

On 2/6/2022 at 9:33 AM, whisperquiet said:

I’ve used BelRay waterproof bearing grease for many years and it seems to work great for me.  YMMV

99540-301293-waterproof-grease_og.jpg

Excellent protection from dirt and saltwater.

This. I’ve been using this on so many applications for years.  Good stuff.