Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bar end weights

boboneleg

Question

Hi, I am trying to fit heated grips but don't have a torx bit big enough to remove the bar end weights. Anyone got any idea what size it is?

cheers,  Bob.

15 answers to this question

8 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Probably a 10 or 12mm Allen wrench IIRC...

Yes, a 12mm allen key did the job 👍

That sounds like the bolt that holds the hand guard into the end weight but when you take it off you need a big torx to get the actual weight off .  I have up to T55 but it's bigger than that, I feel a trip to Halfords coming on 😀

IMG_5767.jpeg

Probably a 10 or 12mm Allen wrench IIRC...

• Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

On 11/4/2019 at 10:13 PM, boboneleg said:

Hi, I am trying to fit heated grips but don't have a torx bit big enough to remove the bar end weights. Anyone got any idea what size it is?

cheers,  Bob.

What grips did you fit, Oxford? Could you post some pictures please. I've decided against the yamaha today. 

18 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

What grips did you fit, Oxford? Could you post some pictures please. I've decided against the yamaha today. 

These are my Oxford Adventure grips fitted

IMG_5768.jpeg

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

These are my Oxford Adventure grips fitted

IMG_5768.jpeg 

Are you happy with the performance of the grips. They look good, I'm just thinking of a way of mounting the unit so that it does not stick out as much, maybe a special bracket laser cut and bend would do the trick. 

I'll have to have a look into this once the bike arrives. 

• Like 1

I am very happy with the performance of the grips but I have them on my CRF250 Rally so I knew what I was getting.

• Like 2

Oxford makes nice gear. I have the bike cover and rain gear.

I'm sure sure the heated grips are fantastic.

Good for you Bob.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 8:22 AM, boboneleg said:

That sounds like the bolt that holds the hand guard into the end weight but when you take it off you need a big torx to get the actual weight off .  I have up to T55 but it's bigger than that, I feel a trip to Halfords coming on 😀

IMG_5767.jpeg

What thread size are the bar end weights?

I want to get some and they are listed for mt07 mt09 and was trying to see if they are interchangeable.. Would appreciate some help. 

Aleks 

On 6/9/2020 at 12:39 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

What thread size are the bar end weights?

I want to get some and they are listed for mt07 mt09 and was trying to see if they are interchangeable.. Would appreciate some help. 

Aleks 

It measures M16 1.5   I usually confirm with the proper sized tap or die and I don't have one that big.

J

• Like 1

I'm having this same problem, what size do I need to remove the bar end?  Is it an allen or a torx?

I went to go install my heated Koso grips but I can't get any further as I can't remove the bar ends 😞