Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2021 vs 2022 Exhaust System Differences?

Mark T700

Howdy,

I don't recall seeing any discussion on this...any information on the apparent 2021 vs 2022 exhaust system differences?

On a quick look, to me it seems like that catalyst is now "close coupled" in front of engine.  Just past the cylinder head exhaust outlets, the two exhaust pipes join and the exhaust flows through what appears to be a closely mounted converter.  This portion of the exhaust now contains a new for 2022 heat shield.  The Oxygen Sensor, understandably, appears to have been relocated to operate with the close coupled catalyst. 

Catalysts are located close to the exhaust outlet to wake them up quickly and begin operating nearly immediately on cold start emission tests.  Was there an emission level change in some location where this bike is sold for 2022?  I think American motorcycle emission standards have, generally, lagged European standards.  Was this driven by Euro standards and the desire to build a bike as commonly as possible?

Is that forward located catalyst noticeable to the operator ... any more or less heat on the operator than the 2021 version?

Thanks!

Edited by Mark T700

Without photos mark, I think you’re on about the euro 5 update which we got last year on the 2021. You had the 2020 spec for 2021 ( luckily dealers here could carry on selling euro 4 models with just the 1 cat until they sold out even past the deadline so I managed to get one of those in time. ) I’m guessing if you’re not in California you could just swap it out for a nice full system, no cat, high level😉

apologies if I’ve misread the question. 🍺

Edited by Dougie
Add
  • Like 2

Mark, this definitely sounds like a EURO5 model. I heard from Altrider that stateside is probably getting them in 2022 as well.

• Like 1

Thanks Dougie,

No apologies needed.  I've just seen this difference looking at Yamaha's website and electronic parts catalogs.  The '22 is described as having new colors and no mechanical changes over the '21 and that might not be 100% correct.  I'm not saying it detracts from the riding experience, I was trying to make sense of what I thought I was seeing.  Completely understandable on a bike with a global market.  The ownership experience in the US is at least one year behind elsewhere.  I don't think we has '20 model, yet, elsewhere had '20s and maybe'19s.  Thanks again,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Mark, this definitely sounds like a EURO5 model. I heard from Altrider that stateside is probably getting them in 2022 as well.

Yes, I'm sure you're correct.  Yamaha's website and electronic parts catalogs show the difference '21 vs '22.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some photos from my 2022 US model.  Does this look the same as the EURO5 model?

66804521009__ED850E38-522E-4B14-A548-AD379BB97A4F.JPG

66804524166__F056C2B3-4EAF-4E2F-A8C5-83193E7B9349.JPG

66804527231__0A499346-4EF9-40A5-BD42-37D68B77D24C.JPG

• Like 1

Oooo Man! you got the euro5 model... now your spokes are gonna rust (wink)

• Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

16 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Oooo Man! you got the euro5 model... now your spokes are gonna rust (wink)

Did only European models show rusty spokes?

@Zero600 yes, looks exactly like an Euro5 exhaust.

• Like 1

Yes, that is the Euro5 exhaust with the forward located catalyst.  This exhaust is now on the 2022 US spec Tenere T700 and was used elsewhere in 2021.  It's very similar, if not identical, to the exhaust used on the MT-07.