Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Met a couple of T7 riders, my first look in the flesh

winddown

I was heading out of town and a guy on a 2019 was coming in so I swung back and followed him to the coffee shop he was meeting a friend.  He was happy to show me around the bike, tall I thought, but that's ok.  Then he let me sit on it and I was amazed at how light it felt.  It had a full tank and I leaned it over a fair bit but didn't notice the top heavy phenomena many talk about in their reviews.  It helps that I'm 6 foot and 105kg I suppose, he had the rally seat and I was able to flat foot it, just.  When his friend showed up I was offered to jump on his too, he had the standard seat and I sat with both feet flat.  Standing up on the pegs I found the bars to be in the perfect position, at least it felt that way to me, not leaning too far forward and not having wishing they were lower either.

They were both old hands at dirt bikes and were off for the day up into the hills where the dirt roads are.  The younger guy, 50's, tells me they regularly ride the gravel at 140km/h, sheeet!  And through the corners too his mate said.  Must be very sweeping corners I thought.  One thing they both stressed was that I should get the suspension upgrades ASAP because the bike can actually get out of control from time to time if it isn't sprung for you weight and set up properly.  I know this phenomenon from poorly setup street bikes so I am looking into Ohlins cartridges and an Ohlins rear shock from a guy who did my last work.  He specializes in suspension only and has done a lot of adventure bikes.  I could probably go a cheaper setup and save a grand but I know I'd regret it down the road.

All in all I was VERY impressed with the bike, I already was from the reviews and videos but seeing is believing hey.  Only a few more weeks I'm told...

29 minutes ago, winddown said:

It helps that I'm 6 foot and 105kg I suppose

I'm short for a Dutchy with only 5'7 and 75kg but i also don't notice the top heavy part, but my other bike is a Honda Crosstourer. A 275kg 1200cc without the added bits like crashbar with bags and the Mosko Moto 35l panniers.

10 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm short for a Dutchy with only 5'7 and 75kg but i also don't notice the top heavy part, but my other bike is a Honda Crosstourer. A 275kg

That is heavy!  heavy for a gravel road bike.   I was out on my bmw s1000rr when I found those guys, parked up behind his T7 mine looked like a pocket bike in comparison lol, it's only 200kg fully fueled.