Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

No more relay needed for switched power

NeilW

I was reading a very long thread on adding switched power and someone asked the simple question “what about a Thunderbox?” I investigated and got one . No more worries about the amps of a switched wire! Please read my review and let me know what you think. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/02/15/healtech-electronics-thunderbox-review-electron-magic/

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great review Neil! Although it's not too difficult wiring one relay, adding more stuff definitely makes things complicated and not very service friendly.

This solution looks better and should keep the whole wiring simple.

Still, a replacement relay can be found anywhere in the world if it blows up - might be an issue for hardcore overlanders IF the thunderbox should die.

1 minute ago, Tenerider said:

Great review Neil! Although it's not too difficult wiring one relay, adding more stuff definitely makes things complicated and not very service friendly.

Still, a replacement relay can be found anywhere in the world if it blows up - might be an issue for hardcore overlanders IF the thunderbox should die.

True true. Our friend Longhaulpaul worries that products like this could fail at 2 am on. Saturday night in a snow storm in the middle of nowhere. No argument. However this is an engineered product made in house by a Hungarian manufacturer and not a knock off. Remember that what you attached to this won’t bring you to a stop in the fast lane. Aux lights, air horn, heated gear, gps power. I don’t think those are life safety issues. 

• Haha 2

This sounds like a great little box of Magic. I'm thinking do I need it if I'm only planning to add Cyclops Lights, but then who's to know about heated vests, grips, Air Jackets later on?

A side question: why are GPS unit wired to Power, instead of plugged into Aux USB up front?

23 minutes ago, thepointchris said:

This sounds like a great little box of Magic. I'm thinking do I need it if I'm only planning to add Cyclops Lights, but then who's to know about heated vests, grips, Air Jackets later on?

A side question: why are GPS unit wired to Power, instead of plugged into Aux USB up front?

Two answers. 1. I just got the cyclops Tenere 700 kit and it comes with the plug in wiring kit. So I have the cyclops kit wired into the left aux port because cyclops designed the wiring kit perfectly. Tell Darryl that Neil suggested his wiring kit. It went in smoothly and easily. I will have a review coming soon on cyclops. 
2. the garmin zumo xt wont power the back light on usb power. Other gps do but the zumo doesn’t. Requires. Full battery power. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Neil - I've heard that about the Cyclops units, so that was going to be the easy way for me to connect too. And good info on the GPS explanation as well. 

As of now, the only additional wiring I need to plan for is a little pigtail for the pump, I have no firm plans for anything more, yet.

10 hours ago, NeilW said:

True true. Our friend Longhaulpaul worries that products like this could fail at 2 am on. Saturday night in a snow storm in the middle of nowhere. No argument. However this is an engineered product made in house by a Hungarian manufacturer and not a knock off. Remember that what you attached to this won’t bring you to a stop in the fast lane. Aux lights, air horn, heated gear, gps power. I don’t think those are life safety issues. 

100% agree!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice and tidy solution. I use an Innov Power hub for all the accessories, its small and so far, 2yrs in been reliable. However I would have go the Thuderbox had I know , just smaller and looks more organized. 

4a7279_e2dc16bbce7e4ab58235ed3d77da61e3~

INNOVV POWER HUB- Simple design, Solid build, Easy using, Affordable price.

42 minutes ago, Fzrcraig said:

Thunderbox - I knew her in college.

Wrong forum….

If I understand this correctly, what this piece of tech does is simplify things by providing the user a source of easy to use switched power correct? In the context of auxiliary lights, this by itself wouldn't actually solve the weird quirk of the high beam trigger on our T7s right? If I remember it correctly, the fried ECU incidents involved trying to get that 12v signal for the high beam with relays.

3 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

If I understand this correctly, what this piece of tech does is simplify things by providing the user a source of easy to use switched power correct? In the context of auxiliary lights, this by itself wouldn't actually solve the weird quirk of the high beam trigger on our T7s right? If I remember it correctly, the fried ECU incidents involved trying to get that 12v signal for the high beam with relays.

You are correct. If you want to use the oem high/low beam switch you have to know what you are doing OR buy your lights and WIRING harness from Cyclops. Their harness is easy to install and their lights are great quality. And bright. I was out on a section of deserted freeway last night to to document just how good their smallest 19w leds are. Got some good photos which I will be posting on my review. Check out cyclops adventure sports T7 specific kit. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2

Ok I’ll admit, I’m confused. Yamaha provides pre-wired factory accessory connectors. I am using one of the 3 pin connectors for heated grips and the available 2 pin connector to power my GPS. I have heard about “fried ECUs” on T7s, has this been substantiated? I can’t see how connecting to the pre-wired (and fused) factory accessory harness can damage the ECU but maybe I’m missing something. Does the problem occur when taping into other wiring, other than the factory accessory connections? I appreciate the pre-wired accessory harnesses but if I shouldn’t be using them please advise. I assume others are curious about this. thanks

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RideID said:

Ok I’ll admit, I’m confused. Yamaha provides pre-wired factory accessory connectors. I am using one of the 3 pin connectors for heated grips and the available 2 pin connector to power my GPS. I have heard about “fried ECUs” on T7s, has this been substantiated? I can’t see how connecting to the pre-wired (and fused) factory accessory harness can damage the ECU but maybe I’m missing something. Does the problem occur when taping into other wiring, other than the factory accessory connections? I appreciate the pre-wired accessory harnesses but if I shouldn’t be using them please advise. I assume others are curious about this. thanks

Using the pre wires plug will give you accessory ON or Running ON with no “switch” at all. The tricky part is getting the LEDs to come on or off with the hi/ lo switch. That is where the problem happens unless you wire correctly. There have been posts here if successful installs/ connections.  If you are chicken then go to cyclops  and get their kit like I did. Can you hear me clucking like the chicken I am?? The cyclops kit took only minutes to hook up once the panels are off. No hassle and no worries. 

• Like 1

Thanks @NeilW. The Cyclops auxiliary light kits seems the way to go but I’d likely go with a separate on/off switch. 

31 minutes ago, RideID said:

Thanks @NeilW. The Cyclops auxiliary light kits seems the way to go but I’d likely go with a separate on/off switch. 

They have a separate switch setup also. Read al the info about the kit. It comes in many flavors. You can phone them or email to discuss. I have spoken with Darryl the owner many times. We discusssed the pros and cons of a separate switch. I decided to go with the oem switch with Drl (daytime running lights) coming on with low beam and full power coming on with high beam. I have a separate switch on my Yamaha venture and having to hit two switches when you see oncoming  traffic in a turn is a bit of a cluster to accomplish as you avoid a pot hole, in a turn, on a dark road with winter gloves on. 

This is what I picture when I hear the name Thunderbox..

outside toilet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, Tenerider said:

I agree with you about the hardcore overlanders and replacement parts.  Our members like Long Haul Paul would rightly state that if he lost the relay to his heated gear at -10F he could move the power wire from his aux lights to his headed gear and NOT die. If he had a single point of failure for all accessories, that could be a problem.. Not all of us ride in extreme conditions and locations. The Thunderbox helps the novice weekend rider wire aux lights, air horn, heated grips, usb port and GPS very simply.

My other bike is a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture and I am seeing accessories not coming on due to corroded grounds.  For $75, it will save me hours of troubleshooting time to just wire everything over to the Thunderbox. Fixed.

• Like 1