Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How to determine: Japan or France?

ludo_the_genius

Hi all,

Maybe, probably, a very easy question. But how do you determine if your T7 is build in Japan or France?

I see this frequently passing by in topics and I wonder how or where you can check this.  Secondly, what is the (assumed) difference? As it looks like a big deal to some people?

Thx,

Ludo.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ludo_the_genius said:

Hi all,

Maybe, probably, a very easy question. But how do you determine if your T7 is build in Japan or France?

I see this frequently passing by in topics and I wonder how or where you can check this.  Secondly, what is the (assumed) difference? As it looks like a big deal to some people?

Thx,

Ludo.

The first digit indicates the country code. I don't know for a fact that the French built bikes have an F as the first character,  but all US VINs have a J for sure.

yamaha.png

Find detailed data by Yamaha VIN Number. Our free VIN Decoder allows you to obtain a vehicle's information instantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJW Okay, I checked my VIN on the paperwork of my T7, but it doesn't have a J neither a F on it 🙂 Interesting 🤔

Its a Dutch bike, maybe the VIN of the European bikes don't work like this? Maybe someone else has an idea?

I would say, if your bike rides on the left side of the road its Japanese build, if it rides on the right side, its French...🤔

Check this:

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/nl/nl/service-maintenance/modification-checker/#/

Mines start with VG5 in the Netherlands, so build in French.

Edited by BikeBrother
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

I would say, if your bike rides on the left side of the road its Japanese build, if it rides on the right side, its French...🤔

Check this:

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/nl/nl/service-maintenance/modification-checker/#/

Mines start with VG5 in the Netherlands, so build in French.

Hahaha, yes, but that is the difficulty. The bike prefers the right side, but now and then goes to the left side of the street (and everything between it).

But, indeed, mine is also starting with a VG5, so therefore probably build in FR. Thank you for that @Bikebrother

Now, it might be interesting why people prefer one or the other. I guess, its (mainly) about the EURO4 and EURO5 thing, right?

It shouldn’t be a EURO4 or EURO5 thing, as that is more related to model year rather than where its built.  Everywhere eventually got EURO5. I do wonder if its a corrosion thing. There has been a few threads on some bikes from some regions having excessive frame corrosion. 

I have no proof that one is better than the other, but I would take the Jap one (and did).

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I guess you usually don't have a choice, at least when buying from an official dealer, right?

At least when you're located in Europe, you will most likely get a French made bike.

Looks like VF through to VR, are French build codes. I doubt it’s the manufacture. Just the assembly. The engines will no doubt all come from one place, as will the body parts, brakes etc. 
so the spokes should be the same too. Just hope you get a morning bike, built after coffee and croissants and not the afternoon bike, built on a belly full of red wine. 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Entered my VIN in the Yamaha decoder, but it is not recognised. I have double checked the number on the bike frame and the one in the reg.  document. They match but the decoder says it is invalid.

Any ideas?

It was made on Friday afternoon

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

8 hours ago, Engineer said:

Entered my VIN in the Yamaha decoder, but it is not recognised. I have double checked the number on the bike frame and the one in the reg.  document. They match but the decoder says it is invalid.

Any ideas?

I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s got a computer involved. The bike is fine. It probably won’t list most of ours. 
even factories are a bit random anyway, Landrover wouldn’t have any record of what axles and gearboxes (or types) they used for a wagon.