Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Servicing (For warranty)

Toppie

When I collected my new bike I wasn't given a Dealers Stamp book.

I mean the one that you keep a record of all the service work and is date/mileage stamped by the service centre.

When I asked about it I was told   'They dont do that any more......it's all logged on computer'

That might be fine as far as the warranty goes but,  come selling-on-time it's nice if there's some documentation for the new buyer.

Also.....what if I were not ever-so-happy with the dealer and wanted to use another one.....how does that work 'for the records'?

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

I keep all my servicing papers in a file in a drawer just like way back when.  The book you are talking about was, for years, a part of the little manual that came with the machine.  Now I do all the service and repair to my own bike and the dealer supplies parts at best..  I don't like anyone to work on it and "fix it up".   

Everything that is completed by the dealer is kept track of by the dealer and shared with all the other dealers and Yamaha central.  On a bike like mine where nothing gets completed by the dealer it becomes a mystery bike.  Thus the paper file.  However, in all the years I've owned and sold bikes, no one has asked me for maintenance records ever.  They become history for my own personal enjoyment.  Now and again I'll total up the sum of money I've spent on one machine or another and divide the sum into the amount of riding years the bike has given me.  It's interesting to see where my loose change was spent. 

🤕 🥴

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Landshark said:

Everything that is completed by the dealer is kept track of by the dealer and shared with all the other dealers and Yamaha central. 

Thank you.

That's the answer I was seeking.

Ditto your comments about 'others' fiddling about.......

I also do all of my own maintenance/repair work but I guess the 1st service will need to be dealer certified for warranty purposes.

After that I'll do my own stuff.

My bikes are strictly for pleasure purposes these days and they're kept up to scratch on an ongoing basis.

I dont stick to a service interval 'cept for the more major motor-stuff as things just get taken care of all of the time.

On a tangent.....anyone got up to valve clearance time yet?

I heard on the jungle telegraph that it's a bit fiddly re: access.:027:

Not that I'm in too much of a hurry.  I'm a year or two down the line from there...Rolleyes

Another tangent......Remember when a 1st service was 'complimentary'?

Just pay for sundries.....oil, filter etc.

Some dealers really take the p##s for dropping the oil and filling it back up + a cursory look around the bike.

Edited by Toppie

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

37 minutes ago, Toppie said:

Thank you.

That's the answer I was seeking.

Ditto your comments about 'others' fiddling about.......

I also do all of my own maintenance/repair work but I guess the 1st service will need to be dealer certified for warranty purposes.

After that I'll do my own stuff.

My bikes are strictly for pleasure purposes these days and they're kept up to scratch on an ongoing basis.

I dont stick to a service interval 'cept for the more major motor-stuff as things just get taken care of all of the time.

On a tangent.....anyone got up to valve clearance time yet?

I heard on the jungle telegraph that it's a bit fiddly re: access.:027:

Not that I'm in too much of a hurry.  I'm a year or two down the line from there...Rolleyes

Another tangent......Remember when a 1st service was 'complimentary'?

Just pay for sundries.....oil, filter etc.

Some dealers really take the p##s for dropping the oil and filling it back up + a cursory look around the bike.

I'm not so sure you "must" take your T7 to a dealer for the first service.  In Canada, we won that battle a long time ago.  As long as the receipts are kept for the parts you use such as the oil and filter, there will be no voiding the warranty.  I'll bet it's the same in Ireland.  Check before spending or wasting your money.  After the first birthday of the bike you're on your own anyway so not much of a loss if they deny warranty.  Unless you have a two year warranty then maybe the dealer can cause you to pay a visit and unload your wallet.  I'd like to know how it works in Ireland.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Landshark said:

I'm not so sure you "must" take your T7 to a dealer for the first service.  In Canada, we won that battle a long time ago.  As long as the receipts are kept for the parts you use such as the oil and filter, there will be no voiding the warranty.  I'll bet it's the same in Ireland.  Check before spending or wasting your money.  After the first birthday of the bike you're on your own anyway so not much of a loss if they deny warranty.  Unless you have a two year warranty then maybe the dealer can cause you to pay a visit and unload your wallet.  I'd like to know how it works in Ireland.

Checked the euro warranty and you don't need to bring your bike to a dealer but it's recommended, I'll be servicing mine myself, don't trust anyone else to work on my bikes

Screenshot_20220223-165215_Write on PDF.jpg

Screenshot_20220223-165229_Write on PDF.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know everything is electronic nowadays ( unfortunately, I’m a bit of a Luddite😁) but I still had a service book with my bike in a customer pack, with the user manual, emergency recovery card and two spare keys etc. I only noticed the recovery membership with one month left on it, and never needed it 🤞. Maybe it’s just a uk thing?

• Thanks 1

@Dougie

Is Luddite an insult?
Depending upon who you ask, the word “Luddite” is either a snide insult for an anti-technology atavist, or a mantle worn with rebellious pride!!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Well I assure you Yamaha still prints them, I got a set with my new 2022 bike two days ago.  It's the Japanese variant so perhaps that's the difference.  Or perhaps Australian law?

617960963_T7MANUALS.jpg.a9d7a20cd2e1ff7d6bf7f459dfa494e7.jpg

1967540256_T7MANUALS-.jpg.33fef42444a6f7da2d5eb104c4989ff9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go back and ask for one @Toppie, you have an excuse, there’s a six nations game left. 🍺😉
did you get the handbook and wallet?

Edited by Dougie
Add
  • Haha 1