Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fix for stiff turn signal button

jdub53

Question

This probably normally wouldn't be an issue for me, but I had surgery for arthritis on my left thumb just over a year ago and full strength still hasn't returned (if it ever will). From the time I bought my T7 used in May 2021, I noted that compared to my R1200GS (and all my previous bikes) the turn signal button is very stiff for activation in either direction but especially for cancellation (very strong detent to overcome) which is a real challenge for my thumb in this condition. I have to resort to using a knuckle on another finger not far into every trip for the signal button - doable but not ideal.

I always figured very stiff is just the way Yamaha made these switches, but when recently riding another T7 I was pleased to note that signal switch effort is as light as my GS, etc., meaning something isn't right with the switch on mine. I've split the switch assembly open (removed the two screws that allowed it to be removed from the handlebar) and sprayed silicone lube all over the inside of the signal switch while working it in all directions but no change. I'd simply buy a new (or used) switch assembly in a heartbeat if I knew the replacement would have light effort, but I don't want to waste my money if it's like the current one. 

I have no problem disassembling the signal part of the switch assembly further, but it would help if I knew exactly what to address if I'm in there. I figured that's worth a try first, so if anyone has any advice on this matter, including buying either a new switch or a source for used parts (didn't see any of these switches when I checked ebay), I'd appreciate it.  

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

I find it very easy compared to my Crosstourer but that just needs a good claen i always forget to do and hate myself for it every time i could have done it when i use it (especially in cold weather).
Don't know what your problem can be and if a new switch will solve it if you already can obtain one due to the supply chain issues with Yamaha.
When turning it of is the biggest problem this may be a solution?

divider-1.jpg

ST2 TURN SYSTEM A device that cancels your turn signals for you. TAKE ME TO THE STORE COMPATIBILITY CHECK IT JUST WORKS  Whether you’re an experienced rider, beginner or just an occasional rider, it might happen that...

I don't have a solution, but I've noticed it's fairly stuff to cancel it on mine as well. I don't have arthritis or anything. I was planning on taking apart the switch assembly this spring and seeing if some lubricant would help. Thought you might appreciate some validation that you're not the only one who finds it oddly stiff though. Interested to hear if you end up finding a solution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mapbook said:

Try switch cleaner.

If you mean electrical contact cleaner, I forgot to mention in my original post I used that prior to applying the silicone spray lube. If you mean something else, please advise.

Thanks for the other responses as well. Really seems to me like an issue with the spring and/or detent ball that'll require complete disassembly and inspection, so I'll likely dive in to it soon. I once repaired the high/low beam switch on one of my old BMWs with a #6 steel shot BB from a 12 gauge shotgun shell, and that's probably still working fine.