Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crazy idea, raid ABS on standard bike

zetsu

Question

Hello all

I have this strange/crazy idea... since the new raid bike have a more advanced ABS (I mean... you can disable rear only), it could be possible to apply the electronics of raid on standard byke...

With some luky, it should be possible in many way:

- exchange completely the abs related system, from pump to instrument and ECU (bonus, you get smarthphone connection)

- exchange just the electric part, instrument and ECU

- exchange just the ECU and flash it for work with stock instrument

- find the correct function in stock ECU to mantain enabled ABS on front wheel also during off-road mode.

The last two would be difficult, since till today no one have reverse engenered the firmware, also i haven't find info about mt07's firmware.

Maybe the second one would be the cheapest way to do it. It will be complex if yamaha have changed the data line in the bike (different connectors or different number of connection between ecu and instrument), because you have to strip down the entire bike.

What do you think about it ? how much it is a crazy idea ???

Thankyou

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

If the current design of our system bothered me, (it doesn't) and I really wanted only front ABS while off road,  my question would be do I care if I have rear ABS while on road?  

My answer would be no, because most of your braking power  is available from the front.   Plus 99%of the time a rear locking up is easily managed and our weak rear brake as it is, makes it less of an issue locking on the street. 

So if this is my desired outcome I would simply modify the rear to bypass the pump and have only front ABS normally and pushing the off-road button disabled the front and I could run without front and rear.  

This can be simply done at home or buy a kit from a site supporter like Stoltec moto if you don't have the skills.  

So is your idea to modify to to only have front ABS a crazy one?  Not really.

Does it make sense to do this by fitting Rally parts to our bikes?  No....unless you just like throwing money away to boast you are the first or only person to do it.

If you want only front ABS buy a kit from Stoltec Moto and be done with it.

20 hours ago, zetsu said:

Hello all

I have this strange/crazy idea... since the new raid bike have a more advanced ABS (I mean... you can disable rear only), it could be possible to apply the electronics of raid on standard byke...

With some luky, it should be possible in many way:

- exchange completely the abs related system, from pump to instrument and ECU (bonus, you get smarthphone connection)

- exchange just the electric part, instrument and ECU

- exchange just the ECU and flash it for work with stock instrument

- find the correct function in stock ECU to mantain enabled ABS on front wheel also during off-road mode.

The last two would be difficult, since till today no one have reverse engenered the firmware, also i haven't find info about mt07's firmware.

Maybe the second one would be the cheapest way to do it. It will be complex if yamaha have changed the data line in the bike (different connectors or different number of connection between ecu and instrument), because you have to strip down the entire bike.

What do you think about it ? how much it is a crazy idea ???

Thankyou

It would cost a fortune to convert and may not work anyway. Save your money and buy the 2023 T700, odds on it will have the TFT and adjustable ABS as standard.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:02 PM, Alf Meister said:

It would cost a fortune to convert and may not work anyway. Save your money and buy the 2023 T700, odds on it will have the TFT and adjustable ABS as standard.  

That’s an interesting point. I’ll be curious to see which World Raid items leak into next years standard sir Rally model and how if affects the price. If everything but the tank and  related items, e.g. fairing become stock I think there will be angry mobs from both derivative camps.