Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cold start question

Jollyman

Question

Hey everybody, looking for your feedback on what may or may not be an issue…

I’ve had my 2022 T7 for two weeks now…  I’ve ridden it every day for at least a short ride.  The first cold start attempt every day fails…. I’ll hit the start button and hold for 5-7 seconds but it doesn’t turn over.  On the second try, it starts right up every time.  Is this normal operation?

6 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Jollyman said:

doesn’t turn over

The starter doesn't spin the motor over??? I am guessing you mean the engine doesn't fire.

Try turning it on and let the fuel pump run a few seconds before trying to start it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

3 hours ago, Jollyman said:

Thanks Hibobb, yes that’s what I meant!

Just tried it and it fired right up… Apparently I wasn’t waiting long enough after turning on the ignition. Appreciate the quick reply!

Yep.  When you turn the key, listen: you'll hear the fuel pump priming.  Once it stops, hit the button 🙂

A trick you may need if your offroad skills are like mine, is if you drop the bike, turn the key to on, listen to the fuel pump prime, turn it off and on again (so it primes again) and then hit the button.  It's pretty normal for it to not want to start immediately if it's been at a wierd angle for any length of time and the double prime tends to fix that right up.

Also be aware that the fuel pump won't prime when the kill switch is set to off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

The starter doesn't spin the motor over??? I am guessing you mean the engine doesn't fire.

Try turning it on and let the fuel pump run a few seconds before trying to start it.

Thanks Hibobb, yes that’s what I meant!

Just tried it and it fired right up… Apparently I wasn’t waiting long enough after turning on the ignition. Appreciate the quick reply!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yep.  When you turn the key, listen: you'll hear the fuel pump priming.  Once it stops, hit the button 🙂

A trick you may need if your offroad skills are like mine, is if you drop the bike, turn the key to on, listen to the fuel pump prime, turn it off and on again (so it primes again) and then hit the button.  It's pretty normal for it to not want to start immediately if it's been at a wierd angle for any length of time and the double prime tends to fix that right up.

Also be aware that the fuel pump won't prime when the kill switch is set to off.

Thanks, I appreciate the off-road tips!  I’m heading to Moab in a couple weeks and I’m sure I’ll have a chance to try it out…. 😀  After messing with things today, I think I’ve just been going too fast….  If I just wait a few seconds, it starts right up from cold every time.

• Like 2

I noticed the same thing on my new bike, I'll wait a bit longer as everyone suggests but it's not easy for us new guys you know!  We want to get that motor warmed up and be on our way 😃

34 minutes ago, winddown said:

We want to get that motor warmed up and be on our way

Bad habbit.
You get ready and then start the engine, just let it run for 5 to 10 seconds and drive of.
Keep the revs low for the first 5 to 10km than moderate for another 10km, after that you can rip it.
The temperature management is designed for riding and that's also how you need to warm it up.
Old diesels you had to start with ether needed time to warm up, maybe those tractors called Harley too but modern motorcycle engines are properly designed and warm up better under a little load and riding airflow.

Edited by Ray Ride4life
Typo
  • Like 2