Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bent front wheel, where do I find one

Sledgehammer

....... To add to all my frustrations with this bike, I took it to the Santa Rosa Adventure ride in Florida, rode thru the forest and was having  a great time (except for dropping it in the sand twice), but got to a highway section and my front end was wobbling like crazy. Looked over the handlebars and my tire is wobbling really bad. To make the story short, got it home and put a dial indicator on it and I have a flat spot in the rim. 

Yamaha only lists all the parts separately and since their not open on Monday, I couldn't confirm yet, but is there anyone who sells a new front rim complete for the Tenere 700? 

I’d check with Woody’s. You can either buy the parts from them to do it yourself, or ship your wheel to them to either repair, or relace with a new rim. 

no-image-2048-5e88c1b20e087fb7bbe9a37718

Woody's Wheel Works crafts custom motorcycle wheels for adventure riders around the world. Superlace & Superlite options allow for a stronger lace & true pattern on spoke wire wheels. Located in Denver, Woody's also...

Edited by Liquidape

Wow, your rim damage must be really bad. Mine whacked the sharp edge of a rock at speed and resulted in a dented rim, but fortunately no ill effects when riding. I'm glad mine didn't become a pinch flat; it really went Bang when it hit and I thought "oh crap".

20210721_100903.thumb.jpg.eca0dcbee9e7e1e1a1505006ee436f5d.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jdub53 said:

Wow, your rim damage must be really bad. Mine whacked the sharp edge of a rock at speed and resulted in a dented rim, but fortunately no ill effects when riding. I'm glad mine didn't become a pinch flat; it really went Bang when it hit and I thought "oh crap".

I've straightened two such dents on my T7. I'm running tubless, so I noticed right away... A press, and a few blocks, dies and a hammer and maybe a bit of spoke work and you should be good to go. If it's dented much more than this though you need to be VERY careful to inspect the area for cracks post repair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

7 hours ago, Canzvt said:

I've straightened two such dents on my T7. I'm running tubless, so I noticed right away... A press, and a few blocks, dies and a hammer and maybe a bit of spoke work and you should be good to go. If it's dented much more than this though you need to be VERY careful to inspect the area for cracks post repair.

I'm keeping a tube in my T7's front wheel and have checked this dent for cracks when I changed tires (none found). Because I don't note any effects from the dent (happened about 2k miles ago), other than aesthetics is there any reason it can't be run as-is? Both tubed rims on my DR650 had dents similar to this for years with no issues. I have a hydraulic press, etc., but figured no reason to mess with it unless I have to. Seems to be just the outer rim that's dented, and the inner bead seating area is still true.  

So typically cracks happen when you go to straighten it, unless its a massive dent. If the bead seat is still true, then the damage is not too bad. When you change tires again, put your rim in your press with a block of wood on the good (bottom) side to distribute the load, and gently press the damaged side into shape with a small block of wood, and then the press anvil (or some other no-mar material of small area if you don't want to mark the rim), starting at the highest point and press it true. You will have to work it a bit and likely press it past true a little bit, as it will spring back. This can all be done cold based upon your picture with no ill effects.

Or you can leave it alone, and it should provide years of good service tubed. Good luck!

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Put away the worry beads, Have a talented metal working professional straighten it. 45 years in the metal trade, 50 on bikes. 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, jdub53 said:

Mine isn't that bad... It had .070 (70 thousands) runout. I am taking the whole bike to the shop and let someone else look it over, I haven't been having to much luck with front tires. 

So if I did this right, this is the wheel and tire on the bench spinning on a homemade stand I made. 

• Sad 2

I watched it a couple of times and to me it's like the tyre is pushed in at one point.
The rim seems quite normal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

So if I did this right, this is the wheel and tire on the bench spinning on a homemade stand I made. 

Looking at that, the rim looks ok but hard to see at that speed. I would try deflating the tire, breaking the bead and then inflating it. 

• Like 2

Yup, I couldn’t see the rim damaged in the video. Think you’re lucky. 👍

• Like 1

Slowed the video down to .25fps. The tire just needs to be re-seated. It's no longer on the bead. Deflate, then reinflate with the tire properly on the bead. Your wheel rim is fine. 

• Moderators

Pretty sure @Dougie& @Kingsizenailed it. Rim looks fine. Try a soap solution around the bead after reinflating to confirm you didn't induce a pinch leak.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
On 3/8/2022 at 6:34 AM, jdub53 said:

I'm keeping a tube in my T7's front wheel and have checked this dent for cracks when I changed tires (none found). Because I don't note any effects from the dent (happened about 2k miles ago), other than aesthetics is there any reason it can't be run as-is? Both tubed rims on my DR650 had dents similar to this for years with no issues. I have a hydraulic press, etc., but figured no reason to mess with it unless I have to. Seems to be just the outer rim that's dented, and the inner bead seating area is still true.  

I have roughly 17,000km on a front rim with a bend just slightly worse than yours, I'd think you will be ok if you aren't noticing any negative effects from it already.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!