Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Ténéré 700: Three simple rules packing tools & spares for a long motorcycle trip!

FAR&FURTHER

• Premium Member

Hello everyone,

Here is a video about what spare parts/tools and service items I'm taking with me on my long distance trips. I've kind of settled on this set over the years. I'm posting this from Tunisia and I've already used many items including clutch repair kit for a fellow Tunisian rider, he.

As I say in the video I really try not to get unnecessarily stuck when small easy repairable things break. That's the whole idea of the set.

What do you take I don't have, I'd love to see some suggestions and inspiration!

See you somewhere on the road!

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

Thank you....very interesting!  I probably won't be doing this kind of adventure(at least anytime soon...) but I like to hear your reasoning about why you take what you take.  Especially liked the insights into why you chose certain tools over others...ie..stainless wheel wrench over aluminum Motion Pro...fraction of the weight but doesn't fit well.  ...that tip actually will influence a buying decision for me and save me some headache.  Much appreciated! 

• Like 1

I found your YouTube channel about the same time I bought my T7 last year.

I subscribed right away and always enjoy your videos.  Very informative and help motivate me during the long winters.  Keep 'em coming!!

Here's the start of my tool kit...for now everything fits inside an old camera case I had in the closet.

I still haven't decided which tool roll I like the best,  Mosko Moto or Kriega.

I've been contemplating the Motion Pro Bead Breaker tire spoons...

The wheels are off and having a friend mount and balance a set of Dunlop TrailMax mission tires for me.

Another month or so before the weather straightens out here...the weather guessers are forecasting 5" of snow this weekend.

Tools.jpg

T7-1.jpg

• Like 1

I was also planning on a video about my toolkit.

• Like 3

we started on long trips  (around 20.000 km) with new tyres, new chain-sprocket set, new brake pads.  so this you dont have to take as spares.

i would add some spokes for front and rear as spares and sparkplugs.

good video though!

• Like 3

On 3/8/2022 at 12:17 PM, BikeBrother said:

we started on long trips  (around 20.000 km) with new tyres, new chain-sprocket set, new brake pads.  so this you dont have to take as spares.

good video though!

The T7 sparkplugs are buried pretty deep. Harder to get at than any other bike I've had.

Yes, it doesn't hurt to have spares on a very long trip. But if there's going to be any doubt about them, it will be a good idea to sort that out before you leave as well.

Here's one of several videos on the plug change

:

• Premium Member
On 3/8/2022 at 7:59 PM, Jollyman said:

Thank you....very interesting!  I probably won't be doing this kind of adventure(at least anytime soon...) but I like to hear your reasoning about why you take what you take.  Especially liked the insights into why you chose certain tools over others...ie..stainless wheel wrench over aluminum Motion Pro...fraction of the weight but doesn't fit well.  ...that tip actually will influence a buying decision for me and save me some headache.  Much appreciated! 

I'm super happy it helps.

There are some items on the market which looks like such a sweet product and then you get it in mail, go to garage, try it and you're like...

Oh.. that's a bummer!

Unfortunately had quite a few of those.... 🙂

• Premium Member
On 3/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, straydog371 said:

I found your YouTube channel about the same time I bought my T7 last year.

I subscribed right away and always enjoy your videos.  Very informative and help motivate me during the long winters.  Keep 'em coming!!

Here's the start of my tool kit...for now everything fits inside an old camera case I had in the closet.

I still haven't decided which tool roll I like the best,  Mosko Moto or Kriega.

I've been contemplating the Motion Pro Bead Breaker tire spoons...

The wheels are off and having a friend mount and balance a set of Dunlop TrailMax mission tires for me.

Another month or so before the weather straightens out here...the weather guessers are forecasting 5" of snow this weekend.

I have to say I recommend bead breakers a lot, but when I actually take the tire off I use the other spoon with the 27mm wrench. Depending on tire I sometimes needed 3 spoons but that's rare (talking about Mitas Dakar versions...).

I know you can fit the Kriega under the seat... if you have rally seat you will have even more space. Other than that I can't comment on differences between that and Mosko.

Snow... is fun only for short time on motorcycle...  🙂

• Premium Member
On 3/8/2022 at 9:17 PM, BikeBrother said:

good video though!

Yea, my brake pads are just because I'm stingy and want to get out most of them... 🙂  Spark plugs... I had them on the trip to India. With the 20k interval it seem to fall into same category as chain and sprockets for me though... planning.

Spokes are interesting idea! Never broke one, but hey...

• Premium Member
On 3/11/2022 at 2:07 AM, one wheel drive said:

The T7 sparkplugs are buried pretty deep. Harder to get at than any other bike I've had.

Yes, they're annoying to get out... Which reminds me... I'm not sure I would be able with my current kit... 🤔