Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

An Idiot's Guide To Weight Loss

Black Dog Moto

First to go was all the awful stuff on the tail. I went with the Tusk tidy. 

78A13370-9708-4C91-9C9B-5B53D4965019.jpeg

• Like 3

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

While I was in the wiring mood, I swapped the front signals for TST lights. In addition to being much smaller and lighter, they have the extra added benefit of poor visibility during the day time, that way inattentive cagers have an extra excuse for not seeing me make a turn. 

C5F3862F-7CB5-4061-A448-7A4137876DBA.jpeg

• Like 4

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

Looking good so far. It's truely incredible how much unnecessary crap is on the tail of this bike. Same with the tank. Why build a steel tank then make a plastic cover for it. Yamaha could have gone Acerbis and just made a plastic tank and lost all the weight associated with the crap associated with the plastic tank cover on a  heavy metal tank. 

• Like 5

Love this!

I've got Arrow Titanium downpipes (featherweight) and carbon end-can that save many kgs, tail tidy, smaller Yamaha flashy indicators, lithium battery and check out these Titanium footpegs I bought. They're for a WR450 and fit straight on and save over 250g. They're actually so much better in feel and grip.

Screenshot_20220309_060632_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220309_060910_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 3

And also fitted these brilliant fold away mirrors for off roading. They save 272g would you believe. That's a lot of weight off your handlebars!

The OEM ones weigh 760g would you believe.

Rich

Screenshot_20220309_074238_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220309_074426_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

And also fitted these brilliant fold away mirrors for off roading. They save 272g would you believe. That's a lot of weight off your handlebars!

Rich

Rich, could you post the maker/model of these mirrors?

They look great, far better than Double Takes imho.

7 hours ago, cbeng83 said:

LOL, great stuff.

Do the TST lights function as running lights too?

Yes, I got the additional harness they sell to make them on full time. It's still pretty dim during the day, though. 

• Thanks 1

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

Other useless things removed:

Passenger pegs, passenger seat strap, and this little thing on the pax seat release mechanism. I suppose it's to keep something from blocking the mechanism from moving, but I know way more than Yamaha engineers so it has to go.

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Rich, could you post the maker/model of these mirrors?

They look great, far better than Double Takes imho.

Sure. I bought them from offtheroad.de

It looks like the mirrors themselves are a different shape now, but it's the same thing

SPI-KL-YAM-Klappspiegel-Kunststoff-schwa

Stylischer, preiswerter Klappspiegel mit passendem Linksgewinde für Yamaha Spiegelaufnahmen. Abmessungen des Spiegelkopf etwa 90x160mm.…

Cheers

Rich

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

SPI-KL-YAM-Klappspiegel-Kunststoff-schwa

Stylischer, preiswerter Klappspiegel mit passendem Linksgewinde für Yamaha Spiegelaufnahmen. Abmessungen des Spiegelkopf etwa 90x160mm.…

I have these (brand: shin-yo) on my honda crf250 rally. look great, weigh next to nothing. but vibrate a lot. Maybe because it's thumper.... but rearview is blurry

• Like 1

oh phew...after reading the thread a bit, I was worried that I had to give up my chicken wings & burger patties..:P

Looks good friend 🙂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Black Dog Moto said:

In this thread I’ll chronicle an idiot’s journey to unnecessarily shed unnoticeable weight and how to spend money without the wife knowing about it. 

Keep the cheeseburger and diet comments to a minimum, grab a margarita and let’s get to work. 

Like all reasonable men on a diet, I don’t have a goal, and I don’t want to exert much effort. I’ve been down the road with carbon fiber and titanium on dirtbikes. It didn’t make me any faster. I don’t expect to notice anything on the T7 either. This is more or less a way to waste time in the shop waiting for warmer weather.

On the list is a titanium exhaust, mostly for sound, and a lithium battery just because. I want to maintain reliability, so I won’t be removing anything questionable. I’ll also be adding stuff that will totally negate anything I do here, ultimately making everything I do here a waste of time. Such is life. 

I love the frank honesty here.  We've all been here, even though we often won't admit it.

I can't deny it, though; I still watch MotoGeo's videos and contemplate doing that to my T7...

Dropping 60lbs is enough to actually feel the difference. 

Don't think I could do that to my bike as she is, but if I ever damage the plastics....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I love the frank honesty here.  We've all been here, even though we often won't admit it.

I can't deny it, though; I still watch MotoGeo's videos and contemplate doing that to my T7...

Dropping 60lbs is enough to actually feel the difference. 

Don't think I could do that to my bike as she is, but if I ever damage the plastics....

Thanks @Wintersdark , didn't know that channel yet.

Actually I like the look somehow.

Amazing footage btw.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:58 PM, Tenerider said:

Thanks @Wintersdark , didn't know that channel yet.

Actually I like the look somehow.

Amazing footage btw.

This is the video where they strip the bike down.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I lied. Trying a black widow exhaust for a third of the price of the Akrapovic. I'll weigh it out, as I'm sure it'll be lighter than stock. And then I'm going to totally ruin those savings when I simultaneously install crash bars. Wasted effort FTW!

• Like 2

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

22 hours ago, Black Dog Moto said:

Well I lied. Trying a black widow exhaust for a third of the price of the Akrapovic. I'll weigh it out, as I'm sure it'll be lighter than stock. And then I'm going to totally ruin those savings when I simultaneously install crash bars. Wasted effort FTW!

I ran a Black Widow exhaust on my old MT07.  The CP2 + Black Widow sounds absolutely amazing.  Really reasonable price too; way better deal than coughing up all the dollars for Akrapovic, IMHO. 

I'm pretty happy with the Huzar, though, at a third the cost of the Black Widow 😃

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 7:47 AM, Rich TT said:

Rich

Gotta love those rims. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not good at math, but based on my calculations, the Black Widow 300mm is 4.25lb lighter than stock. I don’t think the fitment is great, but for $500 less than a ti Akra, I’m willing to try it. 

Sound in link

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

• 2 weeks later...

More idiocy is afoot. I have a huge bag of aluminum 6mm bolts. Found 6 on the front end. Shaved off 18 grams. Wheelies will now be super crazy easy. 

F559F11C-5FC2-409B-BAB5-488C6B5CD561.jpeg

51BE4FD5-D975-4EE6-85F2-A4F1D5F13616.jpeg

94A251F7-3671-46B0-B5EA-4B03A32B020E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

• 2 weeks later...

I’m heading in the wrong direction. Nothing removed and just ordered Touratech crash bars. 

• Haha 3

Have an undercooked chicken for dinner.  The bike and rider will lose 10lbs almost instantly. 🤮

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Have an undercooked chicken for dinner.  The bike and rider will lose 10lbs almost instantly. 🤮

Plus, it lowers the COG most effectively, compared to other weight saving mods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1