Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM Rally Seat - Tall riders only?

Redline

Chaps - quick question for those of you with the Yamaha Rally seat:  How tall are you, and what's the minimum height you think would be comfortable using it?

I'm waiting for my bike, but have had the dealer demo out for a longer ride, and the stock seat isn't particularly comfortable.  Dealer mentioned Rally is more padded.

Also, coming from an MX background, I found the stock seat less than ideal to move around on, and felt to be sitting bit "low" wrt to the handle bars.  Rally is a bit of flatter seat, and I guess would give a more "aggressive" seated position. 

So these are the reasons I'm considering the Rally seat, but the thing is, I'm 5'10" / 178cm tall, and am worried that the seat height may be a tad tall for technical trails.  Thoughts?

6’1 here, and I wanted the seat mainly to have less bend in my knees - I also like the look of the Rally seat better. Yes it has more foam, but I don’t feel that makes a big diff in comfort ( I could easily sit for 2h at a time anyway). Riders with MX background could prefer the Rally shape anyway, regardless of height. If you’re thinking technical riding (as in up and down out of the seat, standing and sitting, the Rally makes that transition easier ), you are standing for most of that anyway, right?

I did, for a brief period, feel that my “balance” was a little of when seated at low speed/stopping. That lasted about a week.

• Like 3

Im 5'11" and it is tall. You have to be careful stopping on any kind of offset.  It came on my bike when I purchased it and just bought a standard height sargent seat. I havent had a chance to compare the 2 yet but I will this weekend.

Edited by S.Ga.Rider
  • Like 2

Update:  Dealer has kindly arranged for a spin on a bike with the rally seat, so i'll find out first hand if its manageable.

Thanks for the inputs guys!

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 9:20 PM, Redline said:

Chaps - quick question for those of you with the Yamaha Rally seat:  How tall are you, and what's the minimum height you think would be comfortable using it?

I'm waiting for my bike, but have had the dealer demo out for a longer ride, and the stock seat isn't particularly comfortable.  Dealer mentioned Rally is more padded.

Also, coming from an MX background, I found the stock seat less than ideal to move around on, and felt to be sitting bit "low" wrt to the handle bars.  Rally is a bit of flatter seat, and I guess would give a more "aggressive" seated position. 

So these are the reasons I'm considering the Rally seat, but the thing is, I'm 5'10" / 178cm tall, and am worried that the seat height may be a tad tall for technical trails.  Thoughts?

6’2”, and when at traffic lights, I’m basically stood full height with my feet down but find it fine. Balls of feet in the morning, bit easier later in the day. You could easily drop the forks through the tripleclamps and fit the lowering linkage on the rear to keep it standard/normal height. The comfort difference is massive. 

6'2" and flat footed when seated at a light. 

I think 6' to 6'4" is the sweet spot. I have a buddy that is 6ft and his heels are elevated slightly. And one foots one side fairly easy.