Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tubeless wheels

WingVetteStrom

Seriously considering buying a new T700, however want a tubeless wheel option.  No much luck on internet searches.  Does anyone know where I could purchase tubeless type wheels (front and rear) for a T700?  Cost not a factor.

Thanks!

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

If you're in the US, check with a place like Woody's Wheel Works. They can build anything you want. Lots of options for simply converting the OEM rear rim to tubeless too, discussed in many forums and threads.

Thanks guys!

Now that we're on the subject.  I'd appreciate it if someone could give me an honest positive and negative about this bike.  On road and off road, loaded down with lots of gear.

I currently do very long trips in Latin America every winter.  These trips include some off road riding.  Nothing gnarly single trail, etc, but some dirt roads that can be worse than the normal well groomed gravel roads or fire trails.  

I'm currently riding a VStrom but the ground clearance on the VStrom is just not sufficient for south of the border riding.

5 minutes ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Thanks guys!

Now that we're on the subject.  I'd appreciate it if someone could give me an honest positive and negative about this bike.  On road and off road, loaded down with lots of gear.

I currently do very long trips in Latin America every winter.  These trips include some off road riding.  Nothing gnarly single trail, etc, but some dirt roads that can be worse than the normal well groomed gravel roads or fire trails.  

I'm currently riding a VStrom but the ground clearance on the VStrom is just not sufficient for south of the border riding.

Biggest negative is it's height for those shorter riders, but if you are close to 6 feet tall it is not an issue.

The only other fault is it's softly sprung as it comes.  Load it up with gear and it only gets worse.

Plan to buy spring front and rear if you are over 175 lbs.  

I had a Super tenere and even if it was better suited for  long hwy miles, I really don't miss it as the T7 does the job just fine.  The lighter weight is much more important to me than extra power of a big ADV bike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, williestreet said:

Biggest negative is it's height for those shorter riders, but if you are close to 6 feet tall it is not an issue.

The only other fault is it's softly sprung as it comes.  Load it up with gear and it only gets worse.

Plan to buy spring front and rear if you are over 175 lbs.  

I had a Super tenere and even if it was better suited for  long hwy miles, I really don't miss it as the T7 does the job just fine.  The lighter weight is much more important to me than extra power of a big ADV bike.

Well, guess I need to sit on one then.  I'm only 5'7".

10 hours ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Well, guess I need to sit on one then.  I'm only 5'7".

5'-7" hey"?  Good luck keeping the bike upright when you come to a stop on loose gravel or an off camber area.  I too am of the short variety.  I lowered the bike one inch or 20 mm with a lowering link and I installed a low seat (1" lower) from Yamaha.  Now I can flat foot on one side with just a wee bit of lean.  The bike fits well now.  

As far as loading up the bike and touring, I've not done that so no real life opinion.  However, you can't pile a bunch of gear on it like a Gold Wing or something and expect it to perform.  It's not a touring bike in my opinion but others will argue it is.  

• Like 1

The low ground clearance of the V Strom does at least put your feet nearer the ground and induces confidence. At 5' 7" you might find the Tenere a long way from the ground. It is a top heavy beast and, fully loaded off road, you may find it a bit too high. It'll certainly handle luggage carrying and it is comfortable (though not as comfy as a V Strom) for long trips. But I would try one out on a long test run to check that the height isn't a deal breaker. I'm 5' 10" and I felt the need to put 20mm lowering links on my Tenere to give me a bit more confidence.... the road surface seemed a long way down! Have you considered a CB500X ?

• Like 2

I'm 5'9", a shorty over here in the Netherlands but i feel quite confident on the T7.
The T7 compared to the Crosstourer feels like an enduro bike but i just sold my XTZ660 and i feel much more confident on the T7 than on the XTZ660.
The T7 is just 4kg lighter but feels 50kg lighter.

• Like 2

T7 has the ground clearance that would need to make your trip/ride easier.

HOWEVER, I know there are people travel in the regions of Andes with Guzzi where less than 5" of clearance and are fine...

So, it is all about line selection and what you are doing with the bike.

I would suggest to sit on the T7 and see how you are with it...I am 5-9 with short legs...it is a bit daunting for me for you will get use it as the bike is not fat (compare to some other ADV)

P.S. sorry to be off topic...

Edited by TimmyTheHog

3 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

T7 has the ground clearance that would need to make your trip/ride easier.

HOWEVER, I know there are people travel in the regions of Andes with Guzzi where less than 5" of clearance and are fine...

So, it is all about line selection and what you are doing with the bike.

I would suggest to sit on the T7 and see how you are with it...I am 5-9 with short legs...it is a bit daunting for me for you will get use it as the bike is not fat (compare to some other ADV)

I will if I get a chance.   In Latin America they have these huge speed bumps.  No matter how I try to go over them slowly and at an angle, once in a while I wack one and it really makes me grimace.  Yikes.  Also, I've had to ride up over large curbs and up a few stairs sometimes to get into secure parking places and that also presents a problem.  Also on some of my off road, I ended up wacking a boulder or two by accident.   It's too bad, because the DL650 VStrom is a very reliable and moderately comfortable bike.

Edited by WingVetteStrom
  • Like 1

Scroll down a few pages and there is are several options discussed, including my Bartubless wheels.

1 hour ago, wncrider said:

Scroll down a few pages and there is are several options discussed, including my Bartubless wheels.

Is there supposed to be a link here?

No link was intended and for some reason I can't figure out how to paste one on my tablet. On this General Discussion forum, just scroll back to February 3rd. That was the last post on the Tubeless Tire option thread. Lots of options discussed there.

1 hour ago, wncrider said:

No link was intended and for some reason I can't figure out how to paste one on my tablet. On this General Discussion forum, just scroll back to February 3rd. That was the last post on the Tubeless Tire option thread. Lots of options discussed there.

Can't find that post, could you link me to it if you can?

11 hours ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Can't find that post, could you link me to it if you can?

I believe this is the thread referred to by wncrider:

• Like 1