Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Opinons wanted about the T700 for long trips

WingVetteStrom

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me an honest positive and negative about this bike.  On road and off road, loaded down with lots of gear.

I currently do very long trips in Latin America every winter.  These trips include some off-road riding.  Nothing gnarly single trail, etc, but some dirt roads that can be worse than the normal well groomed gravel roads or fire trails.  

I'm currently riding a VStrom but the ground clearance on the VStrom is just not sufficient for south of the border riding.

I understand I can get an aftermarket tank to increase range?

Thank you

• Like 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

You might want to look up "Nick Sanders Yamaha Tenere 700" and his ongoing 'Round The World on a Ténéré 700. Granted he's sponsored by Yamaha, but I think you could get a feel for the potential. There are several increased fuel capacity options, not least of which is the new World Raid T700 model.

Edited by Boondocker
  • Like 2

Where are you located? Yamaha has a program called Destination Yamaha that has Teneres and other stuff available for rent at various locations. Good way to get a test ride before you buy if there's one near you.

4 hours ago, winddown said:

If you do order one, be prepared for a long wait.

I think it probably depends where you are - 3 in my loacal dealer and I suspect you could ride one away 

I paid my deposit on the Monday and picked it up Friday ( it has to be PDI’d)

4 hours ago, winddown said:

Unless he’s in uk/Europe. 

I’ll be using this for massive trips once I finish work. I find it comfortable with the rally seat and general size and feel.  It’s like all old teneres. Reliable, simple, able to cruise, go off road when necessary and carry what’s needed. 
Nick sanders has said for once he’s not concerned/ writing about the bike as much this trip, but the trip and surroundings, because of almost nothing of interest/ problems happening to the machine. It just keeps going, a bonus when in the middle of nowhere. 

• Like 2

i use mine almost every day for work (in all weathers) plus use it for rallies etc all over our fair isle at the moment. i load it up with everthing incl the kitchen sink. never a moments trouble. returns an average of 60 mpg. seat is like a bicycle seat , the more you use it the less it hurts. the only things i have done is 6mm spacer and 15w oil in the front forks. rear 90 nm spring on the rear. change the oil every 3,000 mls. would i buy another ...yes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bth2 said:

i use mine almost every day for work (in all weathers) plus use it for rallies etc all over our fair isle at the moment. i load it up with everthing incl the kitchen sink. never a moments trouble. returns an average of 60 mpg. seat is like a bicycle seat , the more you use it the less it hurts. the only things i have done is 6mm spacer and 15w oil in the front forks. rear 90 nm spring on the rear. change the oil every 3,000 mls. would i buy another ...yes.

95 nm rear spring left the forks standard 16T front sprocket reduces revs by 500 RPM  60-65 mpg on motorways 70+on A/B roads might invest in an Acerbis 22 ltr tank  a couple of camping trips no problem.

Two iron butt 1000 milers and several RTE's around the country the OEM seat with a cool cover gives a bit more padding, best bike i have ever owned.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mapbook said:

95 nm rear spring left the forks standard 16T front sprocket reduces revs by 500 RPM  60-65 mpg on motorways 70+on A/B roads might invest in an Acerbis 22 ltr tank  a couple of camping trips no problem.

Two iron butt 1000 milers and several RTE's around the country the OEM seat with a cool cover gives a bit more padding, best bike i have ever owned.

Might want to see if the new oem large tank retro fits🤔

got an acerbis but still in box. 🙄

@dougie I have the Camel ADV 5 liter aux tank, works very well and gets the weight a little lower.

I can easily go 275 miles on easy dirt with about 30 miles left.

Edited by TenereTragic700

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Good idea about the new OEM large tank depends on price.

57 minutes ago, TenereTragic700 said:

@dougie I have the Camel ADV 5 liter aux tank, works very well and gets the weight a little lower.

I can easily go 275 miles on easy dirt with about 30 miles left.

👍I reckon I’d do both if I was going to the back of beyond. You can always drain the tank a little for cooker fuel too if you have spare. 

On longer trips in the boonies, I take a 4L rotopax on the tail. Get about 450km until empty. They're ~$120cad with the mount and you can just take it off if you don't want the extra weight. All the other solutions of new long range tanks or extra tanks are pretty expensive! $500+ depending on what you get. Also there's still plenty of room for soft bags in front of it. 

IMG_20220309_164306.jpg

• Like 2

@WingVetteStrom I'm about to head back to Baja for my second longer trip on the T7 - 2 weeks about 2,000 miles. 

Pro's - Smooth and fast on the highway; a big stator for full heated gear and grips; decent fuel range stock (~200 miles); comfortable (I have the OEM rally seat; decent on and off the road; actually quite good in sand even with the stock tires; Able to carry as much gear as you'd like. It's really the nicest bike I've owned. I do love riding it!

Con's - Heavy - I sometimes hesitate to ride on terrain where I might drop the bike; Expensive - every OEM part, aftermarket accessory, tires, etc. seems quite pricey compared to the DR650 I used to have; Most luggage systems are quite wide on this bike - not a plus on trails or when lanesplitting (legal in Mexico); Mostly easy to maintain, but the spark plug changes are ridiculously inconvenient. Really, in spite of what you see really very experienced riders doing, the consequences of dropping this big bike on myself in the middle of nowhere on on a remote road takes a little of the joy out riding for me. I enjoy riding solo on the rutted and rocky goat paths we call dirt roads here in Arizona. With the T7, I find myself sticking to routes that aren't as challenging - it's great for those.

The best bike I've ever used for extended travel in Mexico was a DR650. I'm tall, and with lowered pegs and a high seat, it was more comfortable than the T7. I would, and did, take that bike anywhere I wished, confident that I could pick it up, change tires easily on the front and rear, change plugs, adjust valves, replace chains . . . etc. all while carrying a ton of gear. That bike never saw the inside of a motorcycle shop in the 25,000 miles I owned it, and it was very well maintained. A buddy of mine has one with 70,000 on the same engine, and it too has never been been to a shop since the day it was purchased. He rides very hard on and off road and has been all throughout Mexico and the US. While I do indeed enjoy the refinement of the T7, and it works just fine for both high speed hwy and light off roading, I can't imagine actually doing the sort of touring in Mexico I've done in the past on it - especially solo. In Mexico, I regularly pushed the DR through doorways, into hotel lobbies, rode it up and down stairs and explored side roads without a care. I just find myself hesitating with the T7 due to its size and weight.

For what it's worth, I also had a DL650 fitted for travel. It was a nice comfortable bike, but the ground clearance was truly awful. I traded for the DR650!

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Desert Mariner
  • Like 1

For daytrips/weekends i have the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 for my fatty toolrol, first aid kit and my lunchbox for work or the small stuff and in that i always have a 1LTR MSR fuel bottle.
For long trips i have the Reckless 80 and then i take 2 MSR bottles.
As tailpack i can choose for the R40 between the standard Stinger 8 or the stinger 22 which comes standard with the R80 and with that one i can opt for the scout 30L duffel depending on how long the trip will be and where i go.
For this year trip to the North Cape (about 8500km back home) i will take the R80 with the Scout 30L which can hold my camp gear (tent, mattress, sleeping bag with liner, tarp, pillow and chair) leaving the leg bags plus the 2 4l aux pox for the rest.
I have the hood tankbag for the electronics and papers i might need to access quickly, i also can charge my devices in that tankbag.
First big trip with the T7, before i used the Crosstourer with the Backcountry V2 35L panniers with the Scout 60 duffel and 2 5L aux pox as crashbar bags but this time i want more offroad and not have to worry about the weight of the bike so much (Crosstourer is 275kg wet but just the standard bike without accessories and gear/luggage). 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 9:30 AM, Desert Mariner said:

@WingVetteStrom I'm about to head back to Baja for my second longer trip on the T7 - 2 weeks about 2,000 miles. 

Pro's - Smooth and fast on the highway; a big stator for full heated gear and grips; decent fuel range stock (~200 miles); comfortable (I have the OEM rally seat; decent on and off the road; actually quite good in sand even with the stock tires; Able to carry as much gear as you'd like. It's really the nicest bike I've owned. I do love riding it!

Con's - Heavy - I sometimes hesitate to ride on terrain where I might drop the bike; Expensive - every OEM part, aftermarket accessory, tires, etc. seems quite pricey compared to the DR650 I used to have; Most luggage systems are quite wide on this bike - not a plus on trails or when lanesplitting (legal in Mexico); Mostly easy to maintain, but the spark plug changes are ridiculously inconvenient. Really, in spite of what you see really very experienced riders doing, the consequences of dropping this big bike on myself in the middle of nowhere on on a remote road take a little of the joy out riding for me. But, I enjoy riding solo on the rutted and rocky goat paths we call dirt roads here in Arizona.

The best bike I've ever used for extended travel in Mexico was a DR650. I'm tall, and with lowered pegs and a high seat, it was more comfortable than the T7. I would, and did, take that bike anywhere I wished, confident that I could pick it up, change tires easily on the front and rear, change plugs, adjust valves, replace chains . . . etc. all while carrying a ton of gear. That bike never saw the inside of a motorcycle shop in the 25,000 miles I owned it, and it was very well maintained. A buddy of mine has one with 70,000 on the same engine, and it too has never been been to a shop since the day it was purchased. He rides very hard on and off road and has been all throughout Mexico and the US. While I do indeed enjoy the refinement of the T7, and it works just fine for both high speed hwy and light off roading, I can't imagine actually doing the sort of touring in Mexico I've done in the past on it - especially solo. In Mexico, I regularly pushed the DR through doorways, into hotel lobbies, rode it up and down stairs and explored side roads without a care. I just find myself hesitating with the T7 due to its size and weight.

For what it's worth, I also had a DL650 fitted for travel. It was a nice comfortable bike, but the ground clearance was truly awful. I traded for the DR650!

Hope that's helpful.

Great review!   Don't think I have the height for this bike.   I like much about my DL but as you say ground clearance  is awful.  Just got back from a long trip thru Mexico and C.A., and wacked the skid plate wat too many times.    Thanks again!

Edited by WingVetteStrom
  • Like 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

My longest ride has been about 1400 miles in 3 days.  After 600 miles on my longest leg; my bum was pretty sore, but my shoulders, wrists  and back was good.  Not much compared to many of the mile munchers here, but its enough to give me an idea of how it will be for my 10 day, 6k mile ride planned for this year.  I expect after about 500 miles, my butt will be asking me to stop.  I will press on to about 700 miles.   Riding in heavy wind tends to wear on my neck as it gets a workout from the buffeting.  Normal days pose no problem.   To be honest, my helmet was giving me more grief from taking it on and off multiple times a day.  My poor ears felt like they were being ripped off. 

I am 6'1 and 195 lbs. A fairly normal American male.    I am shocked that Yamaha sprung this bike for a 160 lb rider.  Most guys that are in that weight class would  be vertically challenged to ride this tall motorcycle.  If I dont sell it and buy a Husky Norden 901, I will have George at Suspension 101 give me the works for the bouncy bits.  What I find is the sharp edged bumps are rough.  Big potholes and rough gravel roads tend to really rough me up a bit at higher speeds of say 50-70 mph. Wash board roads are the worst.  

I do not get anywhere near the MPG others are posting up here.  My average is 40.3.  That gives me a range of 160 miles.  If the stops are available, it was nice to get off and take a break.  The problem will arise when the back roads get long winded and there are no fuel stops around.  In that case, I would likely install a camel adv fuel tank.   As of right now, I dont see long off road trips without fuel stops in my future.  Working way too much OT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 8:30 PM, winddown said:

One of my local dealers, Wheels In Motion in Chatsworth, California, had one for days on she show room waiting for someone to take her home. It was the new blue one, so pretty! That was about a month ago, may be it is still there, doubt it but who knows. That is how I got mine last year, walked in a dealer on a Saturday morning to buy a helmet and came out with a new helmet and a new T7. Totally unexpected, crazy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2022 at 1:48 AM, Motoinvestor said:

My longest ride has been about 1400 miles in 3 days.  After 600 miles on my longest leg; my bum was pretty sore, but my shoulders, wrists  and back was good.  Not much compared to many of the mile munchers here, but its enough to give me an idea of how it will be for my 10 day, 6k mile ride planned for this year.  I expect after about 500 miles, my butt will be asking me to stop.  I will press on to about 700 miles.   Riding in heavy wind tends to wear on my neck as it gets a workout from the buffeting.  Normal days pose no problem.   To be honest, my helmet was giving me more grief from taking it on and off multiple times a day.  My poor ears felt like they were being ripped off. 

I am 6'1 and 195 lbs. A fairly normal American male.    I am shocked that Yamaha sprung this bike for a 160 lb rider.  Most guys that are in that weight class would  be vertically challenged to ride this tall motorcycle.  If I dont sell it and buy a Husky Norden 901, I will have George at Suspension 101 give me the works for the bouncy bits.  What I find is the sharp edged bumps are rough.  Big potholes and rough gravel roads tend to really rough me up a bit at higher speeds of say 50-70 mph. Wash board roads are the worst.  

I do not get anywhere near the MPG others are posting up here.  My average is 40.3.  That gives me a range of 160 miles.  If the stops are available, it was nice to get off and take a break.  The problem will arise when the back roads get long winded and there are no fuel stops around.  In that case, I would likely install a camel adv fuel tank.   As of right now, I dont see long off road trips without fuel stops in my future.  Working way too much OT.

I do like the norden. Well, bits of it. Power is good.  Not as ugly as the donor bike. I doubt it would get as far as the ten in the outback without faults though. Like you were saying, suspension upgrade, and a bit more personal tailoring and she's bang on for life for me. Wouldn’t mind a guzzi v85tt for long road trips, parked next to her. 

Edited by Dougie

If you are honest with yourself, how many roads are there in this world that are 100 miles away from a petrol station (you have a 200 mile range)? If you are really going out there then just get a 5ltr fuel can from the petrol station and a couple of bungee chords and then bin it when you are done. If you really need to splas out (pardon the pun) then get a bladder that is flat and weighs nothing when empty. Why go and spend hundreds on a safety net that is not required... or even thousands on the latest and greatest new bike with a slightly bigger fuel tank?

As far as the Norden goes... no thanks... Why do you want a bike that is uglier, heavier, more expensive, more complicated, more unreliable unless you change the oil every 200yds (its a KTM) and then Husky have the affrontery to charge you for unlock codes for features that you have already paid for in the price of the bike (aka KTM and others).

• Like 3

I also don't understand the fuel panic.
Last September i went on a trip through the Balkans on my Crosstourer (Bigger tank but drinks like it's owner) with the same range as the T7. In July i go on a 8500km trip to the North Cape and back via Finland and the Baltic states with the T7 and OEM petrol tank.
I always take 2 1Ltr MSR bottles with fuel along as a back-up giving me about 40km extra.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:39 AM, WingVetteStrom said:

Don't think I have the height for this bike.  

That's the key I guess, for the average person to throw it around with confidence you'd have to be tall and strong.  I'm tall, relatively strong, but I'm inexperienced offroad and I wouldn't dream of taking the bike onto the really rough stuff.  One thing I was told by a couple of total dirt junkies on T7's was that I need to upgrade the suspension ASAP if I wanted it to be surefooted offroad.

14 minutes ago, Hogan said:

I would (and did) change gearing for highway use. I ran 16/43 and it sat perfectly on the highway, though I feel 16/46 would be acceptable.

Where did you locate a 43 rear sprocket? I'm trying to find a 44 and a 45, and am having difficulty.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

2 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Where did you locate a 43 rear sprocket? I'm trying to find a 44 and a 45, and am having difficulty.

Sprocket Center has 41 - 47 tooth rears in their Superlite steel range, and 15-17 front.  I'd prefer a Canadian vendor, but honestly I think Sprocket Center is 100% worthwhile.  You can buy individual bits, or kits - with kits, they'll send you a chain of the correct length for the sprockets you choose.  

Their kits end up on all my bikes.  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:22 PM, Mapbook said:

Good idea about the new OEM large tank depends on price.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:15 PM, Dougie said:

Couldn't get a price for the OEM larger tank looked at the Acerbis 22 ltr tank and the Camel aux tank which gives a total of 21 ltr and £20.00 cheaper and easier to fit going to fit that today.

• Like 1