Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dropped nuts fall into the skid plate??

NeilW

Is it just me or are there only two places that dropped nuts hide?  Straight down into the skid plate where it can’t be reached or bouncing to under something near the bike that I can’t find?

just me??

• Like 1

Yeah, who knows huh?   I flipped the stock risers around yesterday. One of the washers that is on top of the triple tree disappeared.  Guaranteed,  I’ll find it one day.  Thank goodness I gave a good selection of stainless hardware less than a mile from home.  

Me too. I know the drawer they are in at the hardware store. 

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure half the stuff I drop goes through a vortex to another dimension - gone for good, never even hits the ground. For everything else, especially the skid plate area, magnet-on-a-stick helps.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Boondocker said:

I'm pretty sure half the stuff I drop goes through a vortex to another dimension - gone for good, never even hits the ground. For everything else, especially the skid plate area, magnet-on-a-stick helps.

I have a Touratech Rally skid plate that is very large and very magnet on a stick unfriendly. ( I have one ) I might as well drop the skid plate before starting any project as I will probably have to do it anyway. The only answer seems to be the hardest to implement…stop dropping stuff!!

Same wormhole as dryer socks….One of those telescopic magnet tools has blindly retrieved several from the skid plate event horizon & other eternal voids. It’s earned permanent tool roll residency as a result.

• Like 2

There is only one place they go for me… right between the starter and the engine. Yep, they all go there, no matter where they drop from. 

• Haha 2

I have completed an in depth study on just what happens to small bits that drop from your hand.  They quickly grow little legs and run off, never to be seen again.  To prove my point, I used to repair power tools in a professional shop setting and would drop little bits and they would never be seen again.  When we moved from that shop to a better one, I searched every where that benches and work stations were moved for all those little parts.  Nothing, nautta, zip.  Didn't fine a thing.  (insert Twilight Zone music here).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DT675 said:

We finally get the truth…

…and the truth shall set us free. …own stock in a hardware store !

• Like 2

I know where all those wormholes end: In my children's side pockets. Every time I pick up their jackets, they weigh like 5 kg more than they should. Turns out that those "lost/dropped" items accumulate there. So, let me know what you're missing, I'm pretty sure YOUR screws, washers, nuts & bolts are in their pockets as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I know where all those wormholes end: In my children's side pockets. Every time I pick up their jackets, they weigh like 5 kg more than they should. Turns out that those "lost/dropped" items accumulate there. So, let me know what you're missing, I'm pretty sure YOUR screws, washers, nuts & bolts are in their pockets as well.

Yes. And then rattling around the washing machine. With the string and paper from the boys pockets. 😳😁

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you want the fastener not to fall into an unreachable place, you simply need an oil drain pan within 20 feet. Then when you drop anything it's guaranteed to bounce into the oil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, palada said:

If you want the fastener not to fall into an unreachable place, you simply need an oil drain pan within 20 feet. Then when you drop anything it's guaranteed to bounce into the oil.

Experience makes the difference. Thanks for the advise.