Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anyone recognize this thing?

NeilW

Might not be from the T700 but was laying in the floor right next to it and I have been doing stuff to my project bike. 

AFAFA1A7-4B4A-4435-98A4-6541ED14B7E0.jpeg

Hmmm. Interesting. I've never seen anything like that on ANY bike.

Looks like it would be fitted as a retainer on a piston/spring, possible with other washers under it. 
might even just Be part of packaging/transport for some of your project parts. 

That's "U" man.  Looks just like "U".  

I love the "what the hell is this" threads.  I can never identify any of the found parts.  But I remember each one of them after someone provides the answer.  

I don't have a clue where that belongs.  Very interesting.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

Question: What were you working on and/ or what had been done previously to the bike since it was parked there?

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

3 hours ago, AZJW said:

Question: What were you working on and/ or what had been done previously to the bike since it was parked there?

Smart question Azjw! Last project before discovering this little thing was reinstalling my Touratech Rallyeform skid plate. I did check the instructions and no such part there. I was test fitting my new SW Motech crash bars. I will check their manual. - maybe a part piggy backed on them . And I was walking around with my Happy trails universal highways pegs in the same area.  I will check the highway pegs to see if it came from one of them. I also had the my Seat concepts comfort seat off playing with my BlueSkySea dash cam controller.  Wow after seeing what I just wrote, I need to get a life outside my garage….

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Mentioning foot pegs.. I think my KLR has something similar to that in there. But I believe it had detents.. Total wild guess. Haven't had it for a few years now 

44 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Smart question Azjw! Last project before discovering this little thing was reinstalling my Touratech Rallyeform skid plate. I did check the instructions and no such part there. I was test fitting my new SW Motech crash bars. I will check their manual. - maybe a part piggy backed on them . And I was walking around with my Happy trails universal highways pegs in the same area.  I will check the highway pegs to see if it came from one of them. I also had the my Seat concepts comfort seat off playing with my BlueSkySea dash cam controller.  Wow after seeing what I just wrote, I need to get a life outside my garage….

It came from your Blueskysea controller I'll bet.  Looks high tech to me.  Or maybe it fell out of your watch or hearing aid.  Let us know and don't give up.

• Like 1

Didn't come up on any reverse image searches so it can't be anything of note.  A packing piece perhaps

Just now, winddown said:

Didn't come up on any reverse image searches so it can't be anything of note.  A packing piece perhaps

I am reaching out to some of the manufacturers asking them to ask their parts departments. Strange huh?  It was just laying there all by itself on my swept floor

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilW said:

I am reaching out to some of the manufacturers asking them to ask their parts departments. Strange huh?  It was just laying there all by itself on my swept floor

I find random stuff like that all the time always wondering the same. Lol. Generally I find it's the kids crap, but every once in a while it's some random important piece I dropped. 

• Like 2

You need to turn it 90 degrees and go back to the '80's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kingsize said:

I find random stuff like that all the time always wondering the same. Lol. Generally I find it's the kids crap, but every once in a while it's some random important piece I dropped. 

Only me and the dog in the garage and she said it isn’t hers. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Only me and the dog in the garage and she said it isn’t hers. 

LMFAO. 

Looks a bit similar to the passenger foot peg spacer that comes with the outback motortek rear pannier racks🤔

It did not come as part of the SW Motech crash bars.  It cant hold anything as there is no way for it to be retained unless a cap went all around it.  About all it could be is some sort of shim that was designed to go on after assembly of some part.  Its design says it doesnt bend or warp to go into place.  Is it stainless or aluminum?

Next question, is it stamped or machined?  Flip it over and look at the edges.

3 minutes ago, Motoinvestor said:

It did not come as part of the SW Motech crash bars.  It cant hold anything as there is no way for it to be retained unless a cap went all around it.  About all it could be is some sort of shim that was designed to go on after assembly of some part.  Its design says it doesnt bend or warp to go into place.  Is it stainless or aluminum?

Stamped, half the thickness of a penny and steel. If had just a hole it would be a thin washer. 

Any chance of it being the knockout from a punch in a design element from any of your parts?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Motoinvestor said:

Not an accurate shim then.  Hrmmm.....

Don’t spend too much time on it. Bike starts, horn works…poorly.  (Next upgrade) I’ll find out what it is eventually. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 7:10 PM, Motoinvestor said:

Any chance of it being the knockout from a punch in a design element from any of your parts?

Nope.  Again it might not be a motorcycle related part at all. Of course no one but me and my dog go into the garage but ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably your kid or your wife playing a prank on you. I once did that to my ex boyfriend when he was working on his Jeep. I put an extra washer and nut in the fastener tray. He when nuts trying to find where went to. I let him suffer for about 10-15 minutes while faking helping him find where it went. I wanted to go longer but I could not hold the laugh. He laughed it off too. He was a jokester so I knew that he would find it funny. Uh, good times!