Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Natural Farkling Order

Pilomajajo

Question

Wiehooooo!

After a trip to my dealer (motorcycle that is) last Thursday who told me my ordered (November 2021)  T7 (22 model) would not arrive until - probably - July, I started panicking a bit.

Everything else for my long anticipated three months solo trip - take off planned end of April - has been sorted well in advance (you know; wife, work, money, high spirits).

So while still at the shop mr Google revealed there were two 2022 T7 available in the Netherlands. The first turned out to sold just a few hours ago, but the second: oh joy! Only caveat: she's blue in stead of black. But since I'm told the blue ones actually are faster anyway I pulled the trigger faster than Lucky Luke.

Next Saturday I can go pick her up.

Now here is the challenge: my garage is filled with all the stuff you all made me buy. 

Given the bike is my primary mode of transport (daily commute), which limits my farkling time to evenings and weekends; and given that I'm relatively new to farkling in general: what would be the best Natural Farkling Order? Note that my dealer will take care of the suspension & lowering stuff at the 1000 km service.

Here's the list: 

SW Motech centre stand

CP bashplate

OM crashbars

Camel adv 1 finger clutch

Hyperpro lowering kit (link & front spings) 

K-tech upgraded rear spring

Rally raid shorter side stand

AS soft luggage side racks

SW Motech rear rack

Healtech thunderbox

Barkbusters

Oxford heated grips

V-trec short clutch & throttle levers

PIAA foglights

USB charging port

Adjustable windscreen brackets

Camel adv Anti bobble head brackets

TomTom dock

Motopumps bracket

Tubeless conversion (3m method)

Rally Raid front & rear spacers

I figure it would be best to start with centre stand, bashplate, crash guards (in that order?) so the bike is at least protected while I get to know her. But after that?

I would appreciate you thoughts!

Edited by Pilomajajo
  • Like 2

20 answers to this question

I would say, ride it first for several 100 km's. Then you may found out what you really need.

Have a nice ride, maybe see you on the road here in NL.

39 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

I would say, ride it first for several 100 km's. Then you may found out what you really need.

Have a nice ride, maybe see you on the road here in NL.

Of course! The ride home from the dealership will already be 200+ km..

You given your own answer in the topic title and @BikeBrother confirmed it.
The only natural order is what come natural to you, what do you feel you need first?
When you figure what is natural for you you only need to add the factor "practicality" by checking if the part that goes first doesn't get in the way of parts to come and you need to undo that to fit the less natural items later on.
In that case you need to choose between finding some extra time to do both or do the less natural later.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

You given your own answer in the topic title and @BikeBrother confirmed it.
The only natural order is what come natural to you, what do you feel you need first?
When you figure what is natural for you you only need to add the factor "practicality" by checking if the part that goes first doesn't get in the way of parts to come and you need to undo that to fit the less natural items later on.
In that case you need to choose between finding some extra time to do both or do the less natural later.

And that's exactly why I asked! I've learned to be suspicious of my brains conception of what is natural (right now I notice a thought "start with the rubber grip thingies"). So yeah, maybe the topic title should have been "practicality farkling order". Just looking to benefit from the wisdom and experiences of others. 

• Like 1

Rubber grip pads on the side for your knees i guess? That grip is a bonus for offroading, not sure if you want to go there right away or fist get a feel for the bike on the pavement.
My start where the crashbars and that was afterwards dumb, not to start with those first but not getting in deep enough because i changed them later on.
The mistake of lots of people here is to buy stuff because everybody does and to have it when the bike finally arrives.
Problem is that everybody is different en you probably don't need halve of what you bought and from the other halve you might have wanted a different version.
I did buy the crashbars because i knew i needed crashbars but didn't knew about the ones i have now.
If i bought the suspension i thought i needed before i used the bike i would have bought a Hyperpro streetbox and the front would be okay but the rear is for lighter persons a big mistake because the link system is already progressive and with the progressive spring on the Hyperpro rear shock it's going to be way to stiff about halve way of the travel.
But you already have it all so best start with protection, when you start with comfort items you only risk damaging the bike while being comfortable when falling.
Between that and the next moment you have tie you probably are being annoyed by something and that tells you what's next.

• Like 3

JMO.  I would install the crash bars, rear rack, center stand, Barkbusters and any other protection first.  And most likely the lowering links would be installed soon as well.  You'll have time to put most of the junk on the bike.  Maybe a sick day is in order.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the fast blue one! She's a beauty, recently saw her at my dealer.

I went with crash bars, center stand, handguards first (everything else I had done was purely cosmetic). I thought those items might protect the bike (I am a total beginner), and would make maintenance easier (like, oiling the chain and so on). So far, I didn't really need any of these, but I have ridden her only for about 130 km now. Onroad. 😄

• Like 2

Get rid of some of that and part ex it for the rally seat. Even if you need to lower it. Or get down the gym and start squatting, and pad out your arse. 🏃‍♂️🏋️😁👍

You have all that stuff already? ! Are you sure you have a wife? 🤘

Edited by Dougie
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Get rid of some of that and part ex it for the rally seat. Even if you need to lower it. Or get down the gym and start squatting, and pad out your arse. 🏃‍♂️🏋️😁👍

You have all that stuff already? ! Are you sure you have a wife? 🤘

I guess she doesn't have access to the garage.

BTW, that's similar to how I did it: Buy as much (unneccessary) upgrades as possible together with the bike, so she won't complain later about costly add-ons. Stuff you don't need can still be sold afterwards, gained money should be reinvested of course.

• Like 2

Here are some thoughts….

Ray Ride4life essentially said this - here’s some more detail:

Center stand before suspension and side stand — it will support the bike as you do the work.

Install the crash bars after you’ve installed all of the items that will require removing the front plastics.

Install the Oxford grips while the plastics are off, then install the Barkbusters.

None of this is critical of course, and part of the fun for me is just the simple wrenching and problem solving, and even fixing my own mistakes! Take your time (don’t be in a rush) and enjoy doing things well …. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I guess she doesn't have access to the garage.

BTW, that's similar to how I did it: Buy as much (unneccessary) upgrades as possible together with the bike, so she won't complain later about costly add-ons. Stuff you don't need can still be sold afterwards, gained money should be reinvested of course.

She does have access! Even offered to lend a helping hand - farkling. And yes, the secret is lump sum budgeting. 

• Haha 1

Great answers so far! 

If your going to street ride it for awhile to get used to it I would skip the protection stuff for now.  I would get the center stand on it right away to help with all this farkling you got going on, and spend some time on the bike.  That should show you what the next needs are.  For me, after the center stand I would do all the comfort stuff like shorty levers, USB port, heated grips ETC.  Then just make your way through that list one part at a time based on what you discover your needs are.  

Have fun! 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

Here are some thoughts….

Ray Ride4life essentially said this - here’s some more detail:

Center stand before suspension and side stand — it will support the bike as you do the work.

Install the crash bars after you’ve installed all of the items that will require removing the front plastics.

Install the Oxford grips while the plastics are off, then install the Barkbusters.

None of this is critical of course, and part of the fun for me is just the simple wrenching and problem solving, and even fixing my own mistakes! Take your time (don’t be in a rush) and enjoy doing things well …. 

Great! a plan is forming.... center stand wil be first! Followed by the bashplate and the lower OM crashbars only. Uppers will have to wait until all electrical stuff is sorted. Barkbusters to the back of the row. Would not have thought about that. @DT675: good point about the 'comfort stuff'. 

And thanks for the reminder. I'll go about it as zen as I can be. 

Edited by Pilomajajo

If you bought the centre stand for the lowered bike you might not have a very stable bike to work on, if not you might have a herd time getting it up the stand when the lowering kit is installed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Ride4life said:

If you bought the centre stand for the lowered bike you might not have a very stable bike to work on, if not you might have a herd time getting it up the stand when the lowering kit is installed.

Must admit I'm a little worried about getting the bike on the stand after lowering. We'll see, fingers crossed.

10 minutes ago, Pilomajajo said:

Must admit I'm a little worried about getting the bike on the stand after lowering. We'll see, fingers crossed.

I wonder if others have solved that problem. The OEM centerstand has a longer lever. That may help. 

3 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

I wonder if others have solved that problem. The OEM centerstand has a longer lever. That may help. 

I've gone for the sw-motech. I seem to remember some post somewhere (lost in my digital maze) of someone who had that stand and had lowered his bike; he had no issues. but did he lower it as much (30mm)as I am going to?

I'll report back - probably best in another topic.

Useless for on the road but at home you can use a plank under the wheels to overcome the height issue.

Like everyone says, go with what's natural. Protection is important off road of course. 

That being said. I'd do the bobble head right away. It's inexpensive and makes a big difference. And if you're planning a big trip, the USB port will be super handy. I'd go for one with the 12v reader in it. 

Have fun! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Fraz's T7 said:

Like everyone says, go with what's natural. Protection is important off road of course. 

That being said. I'd do the bobble head right away. It's inexpensive and makes a big difference. And if you're planning a big trip, the USB port will be super handy. I'd go for one with the 12v reader in it. 

Have fun! 

Got you on that usb port (it's somewhere in the pile). good topic by @X Plane & commenters on that. 

• Like 2