Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best W/ Shield For Touring

Duffy

Going to TX for Moto GP w/ a bunch of guys on BMW GS's and RS's.  Have geared up 1 tooth C/S and have added a camel ADV aux'y Fuel Cell w/ a "Tail Tidy" (which works great, btw) but I want good wind protection for the constant 80 - 85 cruising speed my bud's like to do.  Have on order a mid-height Nat'l Cycle touring shield, after watching an info vid' on it.  But just wondering if anyone has opinions on these or their other height screens.  I'm 5' 11" w/ a 32" inseam, pretty average.  I want to see over the screen but still want my head to be mostly out of the wind.   

Someone on this site posted this stupid little wind deflector. For $30 I expected junk, but it is better than expected.

For me, clipped on a stock windshield, It made a positive difference.

No, it won't be like riding a BMW or a GoldWing, but I would do it again.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HCX4J96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

You’ll never totally get out of the wind on a mid sized bike. Not without it looking ridiculous like a 1950s police bike (British) and causing massive drag. Take your peak off the helmet and lower the screen. 

• Like 1

Givi tall clear fixed the issues for me at 6'3"  It's a trade off, tall for no issues! 

• Like 1

I said it before and i keep saying it.

Screen adjustments to prevent buffeting is the only reason, if you want get out of the wind buy a car.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Someone on this site posted this stupid little wind deflector. For $30 I expected junk, but it is better than expected.

For me, clipped on a stock windshield, It made a positive difference.

No, it won't be like riding a BMW or a GoldWing, but I would do it again.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HCX4J96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That was me. First tried one on my GS just because I'd read so many great things about those little spoilers and I was impressed with how it created a clean air bubble for my helmet at speed after a bit of adjustment trial and error. 

Then I tried it on my T7's OEM screen due to both noise and helmet buffeting at speed, and got the same impressive result/improvement regarding a clean air bubble for my helmet. This was after I tried one of the up/down windscreen adjusters for the T7 OEM screen and a PowerBronze sport screen, neither of which really helped with the noise and buffeting I was experiencing. The spoiler lives on the T7 all the time and I always wear great fitting earplugs, and no issues even at 85 mph on the highway  (Sorry for the 2nd pic, can't get it rotated correctly).

20210721_104109.thumb.jpg.662ab3f4378adc729f130a6130776717.jpg20211225_072936.thumb.jpg.8fabfddc3a75d0bad2b8740d2c3b090b.jpg 

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I received my National Cycle mid-size "Sport Touring" w/ shield and it works well.  For hot Summer riding I'll revert back to stock, but for long rides w/ my Beemer bud's this one is just right.  At 80 m.p.h. I'm in a nice pocket of pretty still air.  I'm 5' 11," can still see over it and wear an Arai Vector 2 w/ the up or down sun visor shield over the regular shield and no buffeting whatsoever.  Tried it w/ my off road helmet and it was great as well - almost don't need ear plugs.  

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 2:08 AM, Ray Ride4life said:

I said it before and i keep saying it.

Screen adjustments to prevent buffeting is the only reason, if you want get out of the wind buy a car.

I rode wind-shield-less on my street bikes for decades.  Actually since the mid 70’s.  I tried a windshield once on my VX 800 Suzuki back in the 90’s and only used it for a high speed Death Valley ride where we were over a buck a lot of the time.  The small stock shield on the T-7, is just that, too small.  Shoulders and head in direct wind and at 80 + m.p.h. that gets a little old.  With gearing up 1 tooth on the c/s, the T-7 is comfortable at 80 - 85 and knowing my Beemer bud’s, that’s where we’ll be a lot of the time on our ride to TX, Moto G.P.  This mid-height National Cycles “Sport Touring” w/shield is just right.  Does move the bike around a bit more, but that 21” gyro up front is hard to shake off a line.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I live in Norway, so most of the season too cold without any kind of screen.

Wind management of the T7 was good for me with the original  seat. But when replaced with my now beloved SC Comfort Tall, I felt the need to to something about he screen as well. Based on jdub's advise above, this inexpensive deflector does it for me:

20220522_124031363_iOS.jpg.25602ca1c974e4c69f3092af54b5aa8b.jpg

20220522_124038330_iOS.jpg.a46d75d7b57665490a9455749f321baa.jpg

20220522_124045297_iOS.jpg.fd295603db36a66263eab1c5cc3df8ad.jpg

With the SC Comfort Tall, this wind deflector and the slightly lowered SW Motech foot pegs, I couldn't be happier with this bike.

I really appreciate:

- The ergonomics and wind management

- The seat comfort

- The sound of the standard exhaust (yes!)

- The engine's mid-range torque, and overall flexibility

- The looks of the bike

All much better than my previous rides (R1150GS, 750 Afica Twin, Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, 660 Tenere)

By the way, here is my SC Comfort Tall:

20220522_124103663_iOS.jpg.673b278c4aaa91ce262c69f6f263daaf.jpg

Edited by Chev.
  • Like 2

Madstad has the most effective overall solution that incorporates a laminar flow plate into their bracket...here is some info on T7 wind management that might be helpful 

• 1 month later...

Just a quick observation to add to the group: I tried the little Amazon clip-on deflector.

So close. If I were two inches shorter, it might be perfect, but not quite at my 6'2" height and super-long torso (31" inseam at the most).

Next stop, Madstad......