Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM -> Yamaha Pannier Luggage Cases

ADVUSA

To start off, I have zero knowledge of hard pannier luggage, but enough to know I want hard luggage for this bike for longer

road travels.

Please help with the following:

*  Who makes the OEM Pannier luggage, is it GIVI or Yamaha?

*  Is ALL aluminum luggage bulky or have that super WIDE look with the rack?

* Should I get OEM luggage? Is it worth it?

Does all hard pannier luggage and racks look so  //// WIDE \\\\ AND //// BULKY \\\\ - and therefore it makes no difference really what brand I go with?

I'm wondering if I should go OEM or since I'm concerned about how WIDE it makes the rear of the bike look OR wait for some theoretical slimmer solution of (somewhat slimmer top load) hard cases and rack that will remove the wide bulky impression I have of the OEM luggage?

OEM looks like what I've seen on a Tiger recently - WIDE AND BULKY.

Nick Sanders had OEM pannier luggage on Yamaha's T7  from Paris to Dakar, BUT didn't opt for it on his personal T7.

Mick, what do you think? You own this luggage and likely have more experience with pannier luggage. Is it all the same relatively so

brand really doesn't matter?

Thanks all and ride safe.

Hi,

Generally: all hard panniers are relatively bulky. Having had a Tiger: there they were very wide as the right pannier was placed next to the muffler. The original Yamaha (made by Givi) are relatively "thin" as the right one has a cutaway for the muffler, of course at the cost of some storage volume. They are the same width as the smaller Givi Trekker Outback I believe.

The aftermarket stuff I have seen do not have that cutaway and are therefore placed next to the muffler, making them wider than the original ones. Width may vary brand to brand, but usually not by much.

The main question is: how much volume do you want/need. That determines the size of the cases and the way they look on the bike. And is it the actual width which is important to you, or just the way they look? Decals may help make them appear less bulky, but obviously do not change the actual size.

Alternative may be custom panniers, but I do not have a company name or any experience.

Not to concrete, I know, hope it helps a little.

• Like 1

RE:  WalterT

Hi,

Ah yes that does help, _their all pretty much bulky_.  (the price you pay for luggage)

I did notice the cutaway on the right pannier.

Not really interested in the top case, I can however use large 60L LOMO bags I have from EUR.

I'll mount my extended custom aluminum plate onto the OEM rack and that will manage top dry bags.

Also, after lots of reading / videos of riders experience, top load pannier luggage is the preferred configuration with lots of gear which makes

it manageable. Mainly I was concerned with the width of the panniers, not really how they looked.

With stickers they won't appear so bulky !

Thank you, that helps quite a bit.

Edited by ADVUSA

Hi,

I will recieve in a few days a set a panniers made by " batanga case " . 2x38 liters.

I'll post photos when they will be on the bike!

Edited by sebti
  • Like 1

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

A good piece of information I would like is how wide is the rear of the bike when any manufacturer panniers are fitted because I’ve seen a few pics from Eicma of different companies frames and panniers but it hard to work out the total width. 
I am hoping some of these companies will have something to show us at the Nec motorbike show. I don’t believe Touratech are going to be there this year which is a shame. Unless someone know differently. 
Cheers Steve  

A quick measurement shows the original Yamaha cases mounted on the original rack are a hair over 100cm wide which is about 39 inch to our friends across the pond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Givi has released their hard panniers (outback) for the T7.. and because that uses their standard cases, total width is more than 10 cm wider then the Yamaha combo. You'll get more space though.

Imo they look definitely more bulky.

MY_MOTORCYCLE_-_YAMAHA_TNR-700-19_-_PLO2145CAM_-_Givi.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Question,

Using the Yamaha T7 OEM Racks, is it still possible to mount a topcase?

Presently, I use a givi topcase for my week commute, but would love a topcase and two sidecase options for touring

Thanks

Jay

57 minutes ago, JayIsaacJ said:

Question,

Using the Yamaha T7 OEM Racks, is it still possible to mount a topcase?

Presently, I use a givi topcase for my week commute, but would love a topcase and two sidecase options for touring

Thanks

Jay

Yes. Much easier if you buy the oem rear rack and side case racks together.  The oem rear rack mounts to footpeg area and is designed for givi cases. It also sits far enough back to make a passenger access easy. Also many other racks aren't designed for top cases.

Oem Yamaha rack. Yes it's heavier than others but best for topbox.

20211218_101511.jpg

Edited by Redbikejohn