Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear brake spring fell out

Yammybound88

Question

Morning, changing pads on rear brake and the brake spring fell out and I can't seem to get it to click in, if you have any hints for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks 

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Yammybound88 said:

Morning, changing pads on rear brake and the brake spring fell out and I can't seem to get it to click in, if you have any hints for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks 

You may have to remove the rear caliper from the holder.  That will require removing the rear wheel as the caliper slides onto the holder/bracket.dropbox_webclip_152_vis.png

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

If the spring(s) fell out or was removed inadvertently, you should be able to slip them back in.  However, I've not had this misfortune.  According to the parts diagram and such, one should be able to reinstall the spring without removal of the brake caliper.  But if it's not possible, then the caliper must be removed and maybe even split in half to accomplish the task. 

Let us know how this turns out please. 

• Like 1

@whisperquiet thanks for the quick reply.  I have a manual and I have the wheel off.

I see the slot - how to you clip it in.  A couple of us worked on it last night and no luck.

thanks

-Bob

29 minutes ago, Landshark said:

If the spring(s) fell out or was removed inadvertently, you should be able to slip them back in.  However, I've not had this misfortune.  According to the parts diagram and such, one should be able to reinstall the spring without removal of the brake caliper.  But if it's not possible, then the caliper must be removed and maybe even split in half to accomplish the task. 

Let us know how this turns out please. 

You don’t need to split the caliper to put the spring back in, but it is a pain it get back in with the caliper on the axle. 
First time I changed the pads on the rear of mine the spring fell out and was a bit of a pain to get back in properly. 

• Like 2

Sometimes it helps to walk away from it and come back later....

Or maybe carefully take one pad out of the front caliper and look how that one was done.

Different pads but basically the same.

Rear

image.png.983e10c003895824318fb5ee6631fa2b.png

Front

image.png.3b73035a804a2c1d13dd0d0dcac0b77e.png

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I just looked at my T700 rear caliper and it sure looks like removing the rear wheel and the caliper would be the quickest and easiest way to re-install the spring.  There isn’t much room to work with the wheel installed.  Plus, it is in an awkward position.    From what I have seen, I am not a big fan of the Brembo calipers either front or rear on this bike.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

-- spring fell out --

Oef, how might such a mishap be avoided? Is there a specific technique to simply changing the breakpads on this one? Never had anything like this happen on my other bikes.

The spring had fallen out the right side of the caliper.

Looking with fresh eyes stuck spring up in the top of the caliper and no issues with install of brake pads.

Thanks to everyone's input. 

Cheers 

• Like 1