Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tusk Crash Tested

Splix

I finally put my bike over trying to back out of a climb that was too rocky/steep for me. This hill would be simple for others, but it bested me this weekend.

The mic is bumped into my breathing path when I go over, slow speed fall but you can really hear me breathing in the video. I'll try to solve that in the future.

Tusk bars held up very well, only one small nick on my tank that I didn't notice until I was home. Low speed, low impact, but still tested.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although I was not there to really see the hill, it seems like you talked yourself out of making it... Maybe it was the correct thing for you to do... a controlled tip over. Only you could make that call. Tomorrow is another day!

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

7 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Although I was not there to really see the hill, it seems like you talked yourself out of making it... Maybe it was the correct thing for you to do... a controlled tip over. Only you could make that call. Tomorrow is another day!

This is completely true. I didn't include it in the video, but I was talking after about how a little throttle there had me make it, but I chickened out. I'm just getting back into riding, this isn't much of a hill and I'll be back for it in a few weeks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Good on the crash bars! Looks like a great area to ride.  

I love riding on the west side of Utah lake, miles and miles of desert out there that isn't overly technical.

• Like 1

Those slopes always look much less steep on video - and much more steep when sitting on a bike (or bicycle).

Great footage, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Those slopes always look much less steep on video - and much more steep when sitting on a bike (or bicycle).

Great footage, thanks for sharing!

I agree with you. The knoll/hill isn't steep except for the last 20 feet where I backed out of the throttle foolishly. I'm going to revisit and try again. You can get a decent idea of the steepness when I lift the bike, it's up and level but not far off the hillside.

I'm not claiming this hill is advanced, it's just slightly technical and I'm not quite ready for it. It's been 17 years since I last rode, so I have some rust to knock off.

• Like 2

Kudos for posting.  Glad to see that you were okay.  Most important thing, for sure.  I'm riding for the fun, not looking to win any hill climbs at my age and capability.  Gonna leave those for Pol Tarres.  Thanks again for posting- helps others with making good riding decisions when we can learn from each other.

• Like 3

Brett has a recent video out around overcoming fear when riding. Fear is what put me down in the video above, I backed out of the climb and I could have made it. This is a good video to watch. Not much actual guidance on riding, but he talks about the mental game and how you overcome your fear to ride better.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Splix said:

Brett has a recent video out around overcoming fear when riding. Fear is what put me down in the video above, I backed out of the climb and I could have made it. This is a good video to watch. Not much actual guidance on riding, but he talks about the mental game and how you overcome your fear to ride better.

Brett's videos are brilliant. It's edutainment at its best, he is a fantastic teacher.

6 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Brett's videos are brilliant. It's edutainment at its best, he is a fantastic teacher.

He also gave me the idea to turn the OEM risers 180dg and that was just what i needed.
In his T700 review with a friend of his he mentioned that it was the only thing he would do when it was his own.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bret's video this week is about hill climbing.... it feels like Bret wants me to go back and beat that hill. I hope to try again this weekend and I plan to use his tips on fear and hill climbing to get that picture with Utah Lake in the background.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Fingers crossed, you'll make it to the top!

Thanks. I expect to make it up. If I am unsure I'll walk it first so I know what to expect at the top to avoid loss of momentum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Splix said:

Bret's video this week is about hill climbing.... it feels like Bret wants me to go back and beat that hill. I hope to try again this weekend and I plan to use his tips on fear and hill climbing to get that picture with Utah Lake in the background.

Climbing is not the problem.... descending though.... (not me next to the bike, i was still getting back up after the tumble).
41069353_IMG_20220402_115919(Large).thumb.jpg.fb5b593623b131f6ae9bbd76c1f2df18.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Climbing is not the problem.... descending though.... (not me next to the bike, i was still getting back up after the tumble).
41069353_IMG_20220402_115919(Large).thumb.jpg.fb5b593623b131f6ae9bbd76c1f2df18.jpg

I'd be lying if I said I had not been playing the initial start of decent in my mind. Even starting down after the tip over was a bit uneasy at the start. For where I want to go and play this summer, I have to conquer the hill by the lake or accept I am not ready.

16 minutes ago, Splix said:

I'd be lying if I said I had not been playing the initial start of decent in my mind. Even starting down after the tip over was a bit uneasy at the start. For where I want to go and play this summer, I have to conquer the hill by the lake or accept I am not ready.

Just for your ease of mind, i had the choice between a bump that might kicked my rear over (even with the Touratech WTE suspension kit) or go through a rut. The other descent was no problem.
Was just teasing you with this picture :classic_blush:

Great scenery.  If you aren't falling over you aren't trying.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:11 AM, Splix said:

I finally put my bike over trying to back out of a climb that was too rocky/steep for me. This hill would be simple for others, but it bested me this weekend.

The mic is bumped into my breathing path when I go over, slow speed fall but you can really hear me breathing in the video. I'll try to solve that in the future.

Tusk bars held up very well, only one small nick on my tank that I didn't notice until I was home. Low speed, low impact, but still tested.

You could have made that hill, you just needed a lil more speed and don't give up as easy. Once you get some confidence, you will blaze hills like that. Good save though. Glad you had a tip over and didn't get hurt.

• Like 1