Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Stand or sit laws in USA

NeilW

When I picked up my T700 this summer, 1120 miles from home, I didn't expect to need to stand most of the way, but I did. This isn't a thread about seat comfort, it is about different US states have different laws about standing on public roads. I started a list, some took a long time of online searching to find the statute.

I know that even in a state where standing is not legal, the chances of getting stopped are slim to none if you aren't the loud, wheelie popping, showoff type.

I would suggest you check your state code. Notice that Nevada requires both feet to touch when stopped !

Here is what I found - your research is up to you.  If you are lazy you can call your state patrol non emergency number.

If you do find your state's statute  - post it up so that others traveling around this summer know the local law.

Oregon - OK - allows for Standing 

MOPEDS AND MOTORCYCLES 814.200 Unlawful operation of motorcycle or moped; penalty. (1) A person operating a moped or motorcycle commits the offense of unlawful moped or motorcycle operation if the person: (a) Fails to sit astride, or to stand astride, the moped or motorcycle seat while facing forward; or  

Nevada - NO

NRS 486.191  Driver’s position while operating.

1.  A person driving a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto.

2.  A person shall not drive a motorcycle or moped with the seat for the driver so positioned that the driver, when sitting astride the seat with the motorcycle or moped in a stopped and upright position, cannot reach the ground with both feet simultaneously

Florida - no

section 316.2085(2)

A person shall ride upon a motorcycle or moped only while sitting astride the seat, with both wheels on the ground at all times, facing forward, and with one leg on each side of the motorcycle or moped.

OK, in Nevada you cannot own (to ride) a motorcycle when you cannot reach the ground with both feet if i understand correctly.
But how about when you live in another state where that is allowed, does that mean you cannot ride in or through Nevada?
Here in Europe we are one.... NOT.
However i as a Dutch owning a Dutch registered bike only need to comply to Dutch rules and can ride my bike in all of Europe.
In some country's i may need some extra's like maybe a high vis jacket/vest for when i brake down and get stranded beside the road or even one while riding but for instance in France you need to have reflective stickers on your helmet but i don't because those are not possible to put them on and take them off like a high vis jacket.

• Like 1

And now to Paraguay, where laws are a little less strict...

3D7DF4B700000578-0-image-a-20_1487696459

This is the bizarre moment a young couple were caught on camera having sex while riding a motorcycle. Police have launched an investigation after the footage, filmed in the city of Encarnacion in...

• Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

9 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

OK, in Nevada you cannot own (to ride) a motorcycle when you cannot reach the ground with both feet if i understand correctly.
But how about when you live in another state where that is allowed, does that mean you cannot ride in or through Nevada?
Here in Europe we are one.... NOT.
However i as a Dutch owning a Dutch registered bike only need to comply to Dutch rules and can ride my bike in all of Europe.
In some country's i may need some extra's like maybe a high vis jacket/vest for when i brake down and get stranded beside the road or even one while riding but for instance in France you need to have reflective stickers on your helmet but i don't because those are not possible to put them on and take them off like a high vis jacket.

In the US you have to comply with each State's laws. Like helmet laws, Some states allow no helmet. You cannot transit through a helmet law state without a DOT helmet securely on your head.

That helmet part i can understand but not be able to cross a state because you cannot reach the ground with the second leg is ridiculous. Sorry, you need to go around or lower the bike and i don't care what my neighbour state says.

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

That helmet part i can understand but not be able to cross a state because you cannot reach the ground with the second leg is ridiculous. Sorry, you need to go around or lower the bike and i don't care what my neighbour state says.

I really doubt it would be enforced. In California there is a law that a tire of the motorcycle must be touching the curb ( sidewalk) if the bike is parked perpendicular. Like two or three bikes parked in a spot that would normally have a parallel parked car. Never enforced. 

Here's how to handle the weird laws in each state-

Don't. Just go ride. Stand if you want. Put one foot down. Pick up a hooker on the corner. It's a free country and we should act like it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

In Alberta, it is illegal to lift your bum off the seat! Like, when a buddy of mine riding his Harley something lifted his bum off the seat going over the rough railway tracks with a cop behind him. Yep, a ticket. To be fair, he probably deserved a ticket FOR SOMETHING, but not for lifting his arse off the seat going over some tracks!

That being said, I think that was an anomaly from a grumpy cop picking on a loud bike. I've flaunted that law a number of times and never have had a discussion with the local constabulary...yet. Now the law of having both tires on the ground at all times will likely get me...😇

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I stand up on mine all the time.  The parkland peace officers have seen me coming and I'm in standing mode but no reaction from them.  That would be hard to make it stick in a general court of law.  But good to know that there is a law against it just in case...

Not USA, but BC Canada (close enough)...

We are NOT allowed to stand as it is considering "stunting"...even if your butt was just off the seat for a brief moment when a trooper sees you...yup it is a ticket

• Sad 1

Funny. I remember a question on the BC motorcycle learners license similar to “If you are riding over irregular ground (train tracks or similar), what is the best way to ensure you maintain control?”. Correct answer was to lift your butt off the seat by standing on the pegs, something along those lines. Only question I remember getting wrong, my son missed it too when he went for his learners a year or 2 back. Do what it says in the learners test, get a ticket!

• Sad 1

Wow $121 Canadian for lifting your butt off the seat

Sitting Safely – Seating Requirements

Under the motorcycle safety laws the seating requirements are as follows:

• The operator of a motorcycle must be seated astride the driver’s seat

Motorcyclists are over-represented in road trauma statistics. In British Columbia motorcycles are estimated to make up about three per cent of insured vehicles, yet...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

Motorcyclists are over-represented in road trauma statistics

Quite logical, your not protected by a cage.
I know lot's of situation where staying seated results in a higher risk of getting thrown of your bike and therefore are more likely to get a road trauma.
Speed and or lack of proper gear are the biggest causes of trauma.
I thought we had some brainless people in the rules department but they seem to have more braincells than i imagined. Any less and they could not keep themselves alive but the rulebook people on your side of the pond are clearly missing some cells more.

16 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Quite logical, your not protected by a cage.
I know lot's of situation where staying seated results in a higher risk of getting thrown of your bike and therefore are more likely to get a road trauma.
Speed and or lack of proper gear are the biggest causes of trauma.
I thought we had some brainless people in the rules department but they seem to have more braincells than i imagined. Any less and they could not keep themselves alive but the rulebook people on your side of the pond are clearly missing some cells more.

arent you barking up the wrong tree ?  i mean. USA is not like europa. and in some cases you can be happy its that way.

its not like eu has the best rules.  and all the road closings in the Netherlands only make sure other places are also over crowded by motorcyclists and thus also nominated for the list of Forbidden for motorcycles.

lets not start about "off road" paths.. as you can only ride dirt tracks that are open-road or if you got permission of the land owner.

and the open-road dirt tracks often get closed for motorcycles  [and no im honnest i once in  a wile did not see a sign somewhere]

9 minutes ago, CoreCass said:

arent you barking up the wrong tree ?  i mean. USA is not like europa. and in some cases you can be happy its that way.

its not like eu has the best rules.  and all the road closings in the Netherlands only make sure other places are also over crowded by motorcyclists and thus also nominated for the list of Forbidden for motorcycles.

lets not start about "off road" paths.. as you can only ride dirt tracks that are open-road or if you got permission of the land owner.

and the open-road dirt tracks often get closed for motorcycles  [and no im honnest i once in  a wile did not see a sign somewhere]

I stated that our rulemakers are brainless and closing everything causing more people wanting to use the same roads because those still are open is one of the reasons.
Calling those people in the States worse is because they make rules causing danger instead of keeping riders safe and that are two different discussions.

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

Motorcyclists are over-represented in road trauma statistics. In British Columbia motorcycles are estimated to make up about three per cent of insured vehicles, yet...

yup...don't get me started with some of other rules here in BC...

On 3/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, Hibobb said:

And now to Paraguay, where laws are a little less strict...

3D7DF4B700000578-0-image-a-20_1487696459

This is the bizarre moment a young couple were caught on camera having sex while riding a motorcycle. Police have launched an investigation after the footage, filmed in the city of Encarnacion in...

Just when you think you have seen it all after ten years as a medic and now four as a patrol officer. This makes me realize that nope, I haven't. Who knows how much I haven't seen yet.

“Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.”  Albert Einstein

I am sure even Albert Einstein would had never seen this one coming.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” - Albert Einstein

Those two were doing a lot more than kissing. 🤪🤣

On 3/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, TimmyTheHog said:

We are NOT allowed to stand as it is considering "stunting"...even if your butt was just off the seat for a brief moment when a trooper sees you...yup it is a ticket

Well If that “stunt”ever  puts me in better control of the bike when needed, I’ll risk the ticket & argue my point in court. 
   It may be on the books but I’ve yet to be confronted for it here in BC. Nor do I spend much time standing when riding roads though.

1 hour ago, Hammerhead said:

Well If that “stunt”ever  puts me in better control of the bike when needed, I’ll risk the ticket & argue my point in court. 
   It may be on the books but I’ve yet to be confronted for it here in BC. Nor do I spend much time standing when riding roads though.

I stood for nearly 800 miles riding my T700 home from Los Angeles. My butt hurt so bad from the stock seat. I sat over 60mph but stood otherwise. Total miles was 1120 in 3 days. 

On 3/29/2022 at 10:47 AM, NeilW said:

Funny! All the big talk about safety in that article, but point to the required DOT certification only. Unless that is Canada's own DOT and the not US' DOT, and Canada's DOT does not have their heads up their rear end like our DOT, then I would be more willing to accept their suggestion on safety. 

Because the US' helmet standards by the DOT is an absolute joke. More like a slap in the face of every rider with enough good working neurons to understand how unsafe DOT certified only helmets are. Hell, even SNELL standards are a joke. I only buy helmets with ECE or FIM standards.

"No true friends let friends ride with DOT only approved helmets.

Only drunk friends allow friends to ride with Snell approved helmets.

Only true and caring friends don't allow friends to ride with nothing less than an ECE approved helmets.

And only true lovers don't allow their loved ones to ride with nothing less than FIM approved helmets." ~ Yashnia Galiani

Edited by Yasenia
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, TimmyTheHog said:

Hell, Get the ticket and when you go in to see the judge just tell him you had a "medical necessity" to stand up.  "Your honor, I had a real bad case of indigestion an I had to fart. I briefly got up because I thought it was going to be a went one." Or tell him that your hemorrhoids were killing you. 🤪😏

• Haha 2