Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front suspension sag

łorsoł

Good day. 

Can any body tell me what is a static sag of front suspension, with ORIGINAL springs, oil, etc. Factory static sag at front? 

Thanks in advance. 

XRV750 / DRZ400S / G650X / 2T 200EXC / ADV990R / TIGER800XCE690R / TE510 / T700

Photos and movies: https://sites.google.com/view/lorsolek

Pretty sure its 30mm

I am 210 naked...I get 70mm of rider sag sitting on the bike in street clothes

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

Thanks Terez.

Maybe somebody will have 120seconds to go to garage and confirm please... 😉

We are trying here to upgrade stock front suspension with bigger valves, adding +30mm at the same time. But for now fully extended fork has 260mm and then, when I lower the bike to check a static sag with only bike's weight - I have 200mm. I should be around 25-30mm I think, not 60mm down only with the weight of the bike. I still use stock springs. 

Edited by łorsoł

According to my notes when checking all of my T7's stock suspension measurements before any adjustments were made, front static sag was 52mm with full fuel tank.

52mm.... Much more then I thought. But mine 60mm at the moment is not that surprising anymore. Still, far from a common 10%-30% rule. 

Thanks a million for that, I completely forgot to take this measurement before we started working with upgrade. 

Think I did the same as you want to do now. I went with 6.3 N/mm springs and Racetch 20mm valving. The only tricky part was with needle setting. Apart from that nothing serious. I am now having static sag of 41mm. 

Check and measure the set in tripple clamps. I know it's a stupid thing, but often neglected

Should have added that the dynamic sag was 67 mm (~ 215 lbs in riding gear). So on my T7 static sag at 52 mm was 25%, while dynamic was 32%. Seemed strange but checked it a couple of times, always the same result.

Jdub53, thank you for all info, very helpful. 

Tomaszch, upgrade we are working on is a bit tricky... 🙃 my friend removed original inserts and used the other one - KYB 43 OC. You can see on the photo (friend's photo), original insert is from T7, next to it is the one I have installed at the moment. So valving is 25mm instead of 20mm, also this main 'rod' or whatever proper English name it has, is thicker - 12,5mm instead od 10mm. As you see, a bit brave project, but friend of mine is determined, still learning and searching and we'll see how it goes hehehe... 😆

spacer.png

Right, OEM valving is 20mm. I went with 35mm. That was over a year ago and forgot what the dimensions were. I just changed the complete piston stack. It does make the forks more managable in the dirt. Compression damping gains in regulation, but I have to say that after some time, I wouldn't do it again. I would just simply buy Tractive or Ohlins open or closed cardridge kit. Good luck tough, it sure does look like a challenge

Just went out and checked closely using calipers

Bike stock condition, no extra guards or gear attached, 3/4 tank gas

45mm of static sag

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

Thank you very much Terez, appreciate that. 🙏

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 6:25 AM, łorsoł said:

Good day. 

Can any body tell me what is a static sag of front suspension, with ORIGINAL springs, oil, etc. Factory static sag at front? 

Thanks in advance. 

Both mine stock have been 35mm with 3/4 tank

Edited by Paul