Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hi from Surrey UK

MidLife

Back in the saddle again after a major accident in 2016 which left me very broken.  But the damaged parts have been replaced and the rest mended itself Sonia time to do something stupid once more as I try to relive my teenage ambitions.

I have the T7 which is mainly  for off road adventures.  Inalei have my Ducati v4s for long distance on-road adventures.

love the T7 simplicity and how easy it is to maintain without having to involve a dealership.  Lots of mods already applied.  Heading down to the French Alps for the first distance trip later in the year before heading much further afield in the coming years.  Africa hopefully.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, MidLife said:

Back in the saddle again after a major accident in 2016 which left me very broken.  But the damaged parts have been replaced and the rest mended itself Sonia time to do something stupid once more as I try to relive my teenage ambitions.

I have the T7 which is mainly  for off road adventures.  Inalei have my Ducati v4s for long distance on-road adventures.

love the T7 simplicity and how easy it is to maintain without having to involve a dealership.  Lots of mods already applied.  Heading down to the French Alps for the first distance trip later in the year before heading much further afield in the coming years.  Africa hopefully.

Welcome ! It's an awesome bike and especially when you make some further improvement mods. I've done plenty to mine and every one has been worth it. I've done some local off-roading around the midlands and two trips to Spain with some off road routes in the Pyrenees and Picos de Europa.

Enjoy

Rich

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Welcome ! It's an awesome bike and especially when you make some further improvement mods. I've done plenty to mine and every one has been worth it. I've done some local off-roading around the midlands and two trips to Spain with some off road routes in the Pyrenees and Picos de Europa.

Enjoy

Rich

Thanks Rich.

Just re-read my post and spotted a load of typo's.  lesson here is don't type on an iPad with fat fingers and post without reading it first :-)

One of the reasons I join the forum was to get insights into mods that actually work and advice on routes.  many "off road capable" bikes never seem to go beyond the curb side but what drew me to the Tenere was the abundance of evidence that this bike spends a lot of time in the dirt, way beyond the gravel track.  For a mid size adventure bike it really seems to tick the boxes, and for those planning to go way out there it ticks the important one which is "keep it simple stupid".  One ECU and very simple engineering without being tethered to complex electronics. is why I chose this instead of the KTM.

Off to Wales for the Tenere experience weekend at the end of this month for two days.  Any advice welcome from those that have done it (or anyone to be honest).  I will be using Leatt knee braces as I almost severed a ligament in my previous accident.

Cheers

Col.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MidLife said:

@MidLifeYou can be our safety coordinator.  

Welcome aboard.  Post often and share your experience here for all to learn.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Landshark said:

@MidLifeYou can be our safety coordinator.  

Welcome aboard.  Post often and share your experience here for all to learn.  

Ha!  I’m not lacking in the experience part of the job requirement and it would be a nice change to be on the other side and the ongoing crisis 🤪

Edited by MidLife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DuncMan said:

Welcome ML. Where in Surrey are you. We moved to the Isle of Wight from Chertsey 5 years ago.

Hope you are enjoying it.  My folks live on the island and I’m there a lot. 

im just down the road from Rykers cafe

Edited by MidLife
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Ahh ok! Shoot me a message if you're ever down here on the bike. 👍

Likewise, if you’re up here for sure give me a shout 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MidLife said:

Thanks Rich.

Just re-read my post and spotted a load of typo's.  lesson here is don't type on an iPad with fat fingers and post without reading it first 🙂

One of the reasons I join the forum was to get insights into mods that actually work and advice on routes.  many "off road capable" bikes never seem to go beyond the curb side but what drew me to the Tenere was the abundance of evidence that this bike spends a lot of time in the dirt, way beyond the gravel track.  For a mid size adventure bike it really seems to tick the boxes, and for those planning to go way out there it ticks the important one which is "keep it simple stupid".  One ECU and very simple engineering without being tethered to complex electronics. is why I chose this instead of the KTM.

Off to Wales for the Tenere experience weekend at the end of this month for two days.  Any advice welcome from those that have done it (or anyone to be honest).  I will be using Leatt knee braces as I almost severed a ligament in my previous accident.

Cheers

Col.

Cheers Col.

There are lots of mods you can do. Search "top 10 mods on here". Some are free or cheap. The best thing I did to transform the riding position for me (I'm 6 3) was bar risers, turn the bars forward a tad and the Rally Seat. In proper stand-up mode, it so comfortable and the balance is amazing. I've done a lot to mine including full Rally Raid Tractive rear shock and open cartridge forks, raised the forks 10mm for faster steering (much better and dead stable), a second set of dedicated Excel off road wheels with a 2,5 inch rear so I can use real 140 off-road rubber, arrow titanium down-pipes and a carbon rear can, ECU re-mapped by Dave Wood racing, Bark busters with alloy in them, T7 rally tail tidy, Yamaha LED indicators,  Yamaha uprated bash-plate, Yamaha crash-bars and centre stand, titanium footrests for a WR450 (fit straight in), Enduristan throw over panniers (no side rack needed), Adventure spec rear rack to name a few things ! The bike was already awesome as stock, it's now so much better.

Enjoy.

Rich

5 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Cheers Col.

There are lots of mods you can do. Search "top 10 mods on here". Some are free or cheap. The best thing I did to transform the riding position for me (I'm 6 3) was bar risers, turn the bars forward a tad and the Rally Seat. In proper stand-up mode, it so comfortable and the balance is amazing. I've done a lot to mine including full Rally Raid Tractive rear shock and open cartridge forks, raised the forks 10mm for faster steering (much better and dead stable), a second set of dedicated Excel off road wheels with a 2,5 inch rear so I can use real 140 off-road rubber, arrow titanium down-pipes and a carbon rear can, ECU re-mapped by Dave Wood racing, Bark busters with alloy in them, T7 rally tail tidy, Yamaha LED indicators,  Yamaha uprated bash-plate, Yamaha crash-bars and centre stand, titanium footrests for a WR450 (fit straight in), Enduristan throw over panniers (no side rack needed), Adventure spec rear rack to name a few things ! The bike was already awesome as stock, it's now so much better.

Enjoy.

Rich

Thanks for listing some of the mods you've done. The suspension is probably where I would go next.  so far I have:

• Kriega T7  OS Base Fit with 18ltr bags, 5 ltr bag etc.  no frame needed an only two straps to remove the whole lot.
  • GP Mucci bash plate
  • tail tidy
  • Camel high exhaust (arrow)
  • rewired the ABS so I can turn it off properly when needed
  • change the wire loom a bit so I can swap the spark plugs easier
  • Camel anti bobble tower bars
  • stock wheels but with Motoz Tractionator Adventure tires which grip very well.
  • Short level set
  • Camel 1 finger clutch kit
  • Pivot pegs
  • Touratech break pedal extension
  • KOSO heated grips
  • OEM radiator grill
  • tie down points instead of pillion pegs (cos nobody wants to go on the back)
  • front fork guards
  • rear ABS sensor protector
  • small LED indicators (cheap so I don't care when I smash um)
  • Garmin XT with power mount (wired through separate breaker and fuse)
  • probably other stuff which I can't remember. oh yeh, a look of "how much did you spend this month!" from my wife.

5 minutes ago, MidLife said:

Thanks for listing some of the mods you've done. The suspension is probably where I would go next.  so far I have:

• Kriega T7  OS Base Fit with 18ltr bags, 5 ltr bag etc.  no frame needed an only two straps to remove the whole lot.
  • GP Mucci bash plate
  • tail tidy
  • Camel high exhaust (arrow)
  • rewired the ABS so I can turn it off properly when needed
  • change the wire loom a bit so I can swap the spark plugs easier
  • Camel anti bobble tower bars
  • stock wheels but with Motoz Tractionator Adventure tires which grip very well.
  • Short level set
  • Camel 1 finger clutch kit
  • Pivot pegs
  • Touratech break pedal extension
  • KOSO heated grips
  • OEM radiator grill
  • tie down points instead of pillion pegs (cos nobody wants to go on the back)
  • front fork guards
  • rear ABS sensor protector
  • small LED indicators (cheap so I don't care when I smash um)
  • Garmin XT with power mount (wired through separate breaker and fuse)
  • probably other stuff which I can't remember. oh yeh, a look of "how much did you spend this month!" from my wife.

Wow, impressive !

For a massive change in suspension for not much money, I changed the rear spring out to a 90Nm. Only £80 and a huge improvement. I'm tall but slim, so 13 and a half stone. That made a great difference both on and odd road. I then succumbed and bought the Rally Raid shock as I'd already got the front fork inserts !

Rich

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Wow, impressive !

For a massive change in suspension for not much money, I changed the rear spring out to a 90Nm. Only £80 and a huge improvement. I'm tall but slim, so 13 and a half stone. That made a great difference both on and odd road. I then succumbed and bought the Rally Raid shock as I'd already got the front fork inserts !

Rich

I'm 6ft and 11 stone so that sounds like the best option or me as well.  really appreciate the guidance.  Now need to persuade my lovely accountant to let me spend more money and not too long after I informed her I will be away for her birthday with my mates in France.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Wow, impressive !

Rich

I was thinking of changing the rear spring - I think I’m a little heavier and just doing road riding but maybe something I’ll look into

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lewie said:

I was thinking of changing the rear spring - I think I’m a little heavier and just doing road riding but maybe something I’ll look into

It's really hard to get the correct static (and riding) sag with the standard spring. I had to wind in 22 out of 24 max clicks on the preload adjuster to get it anywhere near right. With the 90Nm spring, it was only 5-6 clicks on the adjuster to get the correct static (and riding) sag. It's a huge improvement for road manners as well as off road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

It's really hard to get the correct static (and riding) sag with the standard spring. I had to wind in 22 out of 24 max clicks on the preload adjuster to get it anywhere near right. With the 90Nm spring, it was only 5-6 clicks on the adjuster to get the correct static (and riding) sag. It's a huge improvement for road manners as well as off road.

rear without luggage I can get the static and race sag pretty close, front is the worse and could only get one or the other so went with setting the race sag up right.  when you start to add weight (luggage not pork pies) then it starts to be a real problem.  So far I only really do a bit of road and then pretty harsh off road which requires a slower speed.  when I hit the faster European trails and corrugations I think the rebound is going to be a problem.

Oh, I am going to change my tires to TKC 80's as they are a bit softer and will be kinder to me on the long trip down to the French Alpes.  but around here in the mud, the Tractionators are excellent.

anyone got a view on that?

Edited by MidLife
  • Like 1