Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Coming Next Weekend. Hi

JJT7M

Hi all,

I haven't even sat on my new T7 yet but thought I'd say hi and ask if there are any "Musts" for new owners of these bikes? I hope get it home next weekend after its had its first 600 mile service at only 540 miles, which the previous owner put on it.

How long do these engines take to run in? And how should I ride it?

And any other T7 owners on here from the Wokingham area?

Many thanks 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@JJT7M  Hi bud. Guess you posted when everyone was on the piss? 🍺😂. Or loads of posts pushed it out too quickly. Yeah, it’ll sound a bit weird to start with, a bit like the gearbox is screwed. Then a little after first service, it starts sounding much nicer, and a bit meatier at the exhaust. You can ride it fine straight away. It says to take it easy ish, up to 1600 but it’s done by then. Mpg will get better too.  Have a good read before about issues( not mechanical, aren’t any) with seats and screens etc before buying stuff. If you really want an extra tall screen you can have my puig to try first. I went shorter. I’d put money on you getting some sort of new seat. 😉There’s quite a few of us in uk, but fairly spread out I think. I’m sure we could meet up for a ride/camp and a pint one day. 
which colour did you go for? 

Edited by Dougie
Added name
  • Like 2

Yes, welcome aboard @JJT7M

Be sure to post up a pic of the new bike and your riding area.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

There she is below... Also my bespoke luggage system/camera bag. I spend almost an hour in a shop yesterday looking at expensive bags and packs, turns out I had something  just as good in the cupboard at home.

The other photo is my other bike... Transalp 650. I can say without hesitation that I have definitely upgraded. The only thing my old bike does better is wind protection and luggage due to its very handy panniers. Anyway, she's up for sale if anyone know of someone looking for Transalp.

So I clocked up another 100 miles today in an effort to get her run in. I was suffering with the gearbox and hitting annoying neutrals between gears but I seem to have found a way to reduce that now. However, I can't get use to the strange array of noises coming from the engine. The dealer assured me its normal for a CP engine. ??? I think something is amuck. Time will tell. 🙂 

Well, Dougie, the seat is not as nasty as I feared, but I think you're right, sooner or later I'll want to do some distance and be begging for some comfort. I used to ride my Transalp in Wales a bit when I lived in Worcestershire. Heaven compared to where I live now. Can't wait to take the T7 for day to my old haunts.

And Duncman, My father lives ten minutes for Lymington. I'd love to visit the Isle of White for a day trip when I'm staying with him. I have visions of thousands of Red Squirrels scampering about the place. 🙂  I remember the cost of a ferry for a car for one day was outrageous, any idea on bikes?

Sorry for the lame photo, Landshark. 😄

IMG_4187 (1).jpeg

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4192.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JJT7M said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

There she is below... Also my bespoke luggage system/camera bag. I spend almost an hour in a shop yesterday looking at expensive bags and packs, turns out I had something  just as good in the cupboard at home.

The other photo is my other bike... Transalp 650. I can say without hesitation that I have definitely upgraded. The only thing my old bike does better is wind protection and luggage due to its very handy panniers. Anyway, she's up for sale if anyone know of someone looking for Transalp.

So I clocked up another 100 miles today in an effort to get her run in. I was suffering with the gearbox and hitting annoying neutrals between gears but I seem to have found a way to reduce that now. However, I can't get use to the strange array of noises coming from the engine. The dealer assured me its normal for a CP engine. ??? I think something is amuck. Time will tell. 🙂 

Well, Dougie, the seat is not as nasty as I feared, but I think you're right, sooner or later I'll want to do some distance and be begging for some comfort. I used to ride my Transalp in Wales a bit when I lived in Worcestershire. Heaven compared to where I live now. Can't wait to take the T7 for day to my old haunts.

And Duncman, My father lives ten minutes for Lymington. I'd love to visit the Isle of White for a day trip when I'm staying with him. I have visions of thousands of Red Squirrels scampering about the place. 🙂  I remember the cost of a ferry for a car for one day was outrageous, any idea on bikes?

Sorry for the lame photo, Landshark. 😄

IMG_4187 (1).jpeg

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4192.jpeg

And yes the noises are normal. Nice one mate. 👍

• Like 1

Looks good.  I'm glad you have it in your possession.  Once you change over to synthetic oil the noises will lesson and it will become easier to shift.  Big difference.  Wait until your first service to put in synthetic oil.  

• Like 1

Thanks Duncman! Id love that! 

Bike update... over 900 miles on the clock now. Still having issues with false neutrals and its normally happening at junctions and roundabouts when changing down. Its going to get me into trouble sooner or later. Having a blast the rest of the time and look forward to using the higher revs once I'm happy she's run in nicely.

No accessories or tweaks added yet. I think I might restrain myself for now and go to the ADV bike festival in Warwickshire first and hopefully see all the different goodies on offer in the flesh. Anyone else thinking of going to that event? Ive never been before, however it seems they have a dedicated Tenere area, tent, talks etc. My backside is screaming at me to improve the seat first. I agree with it.

• Like 1

Welcome from Kent

i was in the habit of pulling up in maybe 3rd at lights (dipping the clutch) then having problems getting to 1st but started changing down the box beforehand 

must admit I’ve had no flash neutrals - 

obviously you’ve the beast colour too

963BBCA1-4ABB-4C0A-A511-8837D9CD35AE.jpeg

On 4/18/2022 at 5:31 PM, DuncMan said:

Oh thank goodness. When I saw the first photo I thought a dealer had ripped you off with TransAlp, telling you it was a T700! 🤣 If you ever head down this way, just message me and I'll take you on a tour of the island and we'll swig coffee whilst watching those pesky red squirrels scampering about us! 

Oh dear... I've only just figured out what the Quote button does... Sorry DuncMan, please read my previous addition..

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, Lewie said:

Welcome from Kent

i was in the habit of pulling up in maybe 3rd at lights (dipping the clutch) then having problems getting to 1st but started changing down the box beforehand 

must admit I’ve had no flash neutrals - 

obviously you’ve the beast colour too

963BBCA1-4ABB-4C0A-A511-8837D9CD35AE.jpeg

Thanks for the welcome Lewie. 

I had issues similar to my bike when riding the demonstrator. So it might be fair to say there's an element of operator error. 😄

Yeah, nice. I'm sold on black rims. Not sure why I like them more that coloured. Have you read in the owners booklet about cleaning the matt black paint? I have no idea what to use. 

Read the manual  - surly you don’t need to do that unless you have a problem 😂

I too noticed it on the demonstrator on my test ride. 
what mods have you planned

6 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Read the manual  - surly you don’t need to do that unless you have a problem 😂

I too noticed it on the demonstrator on my test ride. 
what mods have you planned

Hi Lewie

non for now... however there's a guy on Denmark called https://www.tenere700.net/profile/3762-wulf1970dk/  who has a very interesting tailpipe by HP Corse. 

I hope to go to the ADV Bike festival in Warwickshire this year. I have never been but I get the feeling that's the place to see all the accessories on offer and talk to people who have them and get some feedback. If there was a wide screen that would reduce the buffeting on my shoulders, that'd be great for the motorway hauls. Oh, some lighting is high on my wish list.

How about you? I notice your bike looks shop fresh. Mine is second hand and the rear rack and front bars where already fitted.

Yeh I bought it new (last bike I bought new was an 03 bandit)

Done the tail tidy - I think some heated grips and I’d like to add a double usb on the right hand side although the headlight removal looks like a mission. Possibly like to get a rally seat too

2 minutes ago, JJT7M said:

Hi Lewie

non for now... however there's a guy on Denmark called https://www.tenere700.net/profile/3762-wulf1970dk/  who has a very interesting tailpipe by HP Corse. 

I hope to go to the ADV Bike festival in Warwickshire this year. I have never been but I get the feeling that's the place to see all the accessories on offer and talk to people who have them and get some feedback. If there was a wide screen that would reduce the buffeting on my shoulders, that'd be great for the motorway hauls. Oh, some lighting is high on my wish list.

How about you? I notice your bike looks shop fresh. Mine is second hand and the rear rack and front bars where already fitted.

Oh, I mentioned seat improvements in an earlier post. that and the screen are priority, once I find out whats available.