Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

On Time Maintenance

Cornflake

Question

Hi there everyone!

I’ve been riding my 22 t7 around town to break it in the last 800 miles. It had the first service right on time at 600 with an oil and filter replacement. I recently had an opportunity open up with work and I’m able to take a week vacation so I’m trying to get the bike up north for some fun. The only issue is my scheduled 1000 mile service is too far away. I want to head out tomorrow and I estimate by the time I get back the bike will be at about 1,200 miles. Do you guys think I’m likely to experience any significant problems? I know how that sounds. I love doing things by the book and I understand if it’s not right it’s not right but I also know not everyone strictly adheres by the book. Would you have any concerns doing this? 

16 answers to this question

600 miles then 6,000 miles

image.thumb.png.b89767cf54426a9527bed3bbfa9cb123.png

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Ah yes, thank you everyone. I took a look at my manual and I see now I was getting the maintenance interval confused with the recommended throttle application. It also appears to have a slightly different maintenance interval than previously posted. 

83B2001C-96C3-4399-90DE-8E8B4782BF07.jpeg

69B34093-E03E-41ED-8AD2-DB231FD57372.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, my owners manual (2021 USA) has the 4,000 mile intervals, I just checked. The clip I posted was off an owners manual I found on line. I thought it was odd at 6,000?? I don't know what to say about this other than follow the manual that came with your/my bikes...

This is what it shows on the on-line manual I showed. Maybe it is the European manual? Odd the service intervals are so much different (by 2,000 miles or 3,000km). Do any of you European guy have thoughts on this??

image.png.de5877cb754c8e477ced78147680f309.png

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

16 hours ago, Cornflake said:

Hi there everyone!

I’ve been riding my 22 t7 around town to break it in the last 800 miles. It had the first service right on time at 600 with an oil and filter replacement. I recently had an opportunity open up with work and I’m able to take a week vacation so I’m trying to get the bike up north for some fun. The only issue is my scheduled 1000 mile service is too far away. I want to head out tomorrow and I estimate by the time I get back the bike will be at about 1,200 miles. Do you guys think I’m likely to experience any significant problems? I know how that sounds. I love doing things by the book and I understand if it’s not right it’s not right but I also know not everyone strictly adheres by the book. Would you have any concerns doing this? 

Don't worry about going over in mileage before the 2nd service.  It will be just fine.  Change the oil and service the beast when you get back.  Do check fasteners and such for tightness along the way and visually check all else.  

Relax on your holiday and let your bike do it's job.  Worry when you get back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Yes, my owners manual (2021 USA) has the 4,000 mile intervals, I just checked. The clip I posted was off an owners manual I found on line. I thought it was odd at 6,000?? I don't know what to say about this other than follow the manual that came with your/my bikes...

This is what it shows on the on-line manual I showed. Maybe it is the European manual? Odd the service intervals are so much different (by 2,000 miles or 3,000km). Do any of you European guy have thoughts on this??

image.png.de5877cb754c8e477ced78147680f309.png

European manual, MBK builds "our" T7s.

Here is what mine says:

20220409_135506.thumb.jpg.2eb6b751e9728b2df6de90362371768e.jpg

P.S.: Perhaps French build bikes have better quality, and need less frequent service!

Oh wait, no... must be something different.

Maybe rust/corrosion needs more time to securely build up, 4000mi might be too early?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

P.S.: Perhaps French build bikes have better quality, and need less frequent service!

Oh wait, no... must be something different.

Maybe rust/corrosion needs more time to securely build up, 4000mi might be too early?

IMHO T7 it's a cheap bike. Cheap components, cheap frame paint, etc...

The reality is that Yamaha has lowered its quality standards a lot in the last 20 years.

17 minutes ago, Rekiem said:

IMHO T7 it's a cheap bike. Cheap components, cheap frame paint, etc...

The reality is that Yamaha has lowered its quality standards a lot in the last 20 years.

It is a cheaply built machine.  Profit is the name of the game.  That's not to say it's a piece of junk as it is not.  I do all the maintenance on this machine and will eventually change out any of the junk I don't like.  I guess I'm used to KLR that needed a lot of help if you so chose.  I could have just rode the T7 machine out of the box but I'm annul and like to fiddle with stuff to make it better.   Keep in mind I don't have rust anywhere, probably because the the riding atmosphere here better for the bike.

I hope we can keep you  interested in keeping the T7 and making it your own while doing your own maintenance @Rekiem

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Landshark said:

It is a cheaply built machine.  Profit is the name of the game.  That's not to say it's a piece of junk as it is not.  I do all the maintenance on this machine and will eventually change out any of the junk I don't like.  I guess I'm used to KLR that needed a lot of help if you so chose.  I could have just rode the T7 machine out of the box but I'm annul and like to fiddle with stuff to make it better.   Keep in mind I don't have rust anywhere, probably because the the riding atmosphere here better for the bike.

I hope we can keep you  interested in keeping the T7 and making it your own while doing your own maintenance @Rekiem

Don't get me wrong. I love It, it's not a piece of junk. I take care of It like all bikes that I've had. No corrosion on mine as well but I think It will last like my XT660ZA, just 4 years (96800 km). I know It, I use a lot my motorcicles. I do many km with them.

• Like 1

I agree, profit seems to be one of Yamaha's main objectives (of course).

The nitpickers left their footprints on quite some parts, but the engineers did so as well.

Cosmetics and comfort (partially) seem to be affected mostly by the former, reliability by the latter.

Just found some small dark spots on my rear spokes (after 400km of dry roads, albeit with some salt residuals on one ride).

The price is imho not really competitive any more. But it sells well anyway, and I love it nevertheless.

I have no experience with any other manufacturer, but it seems like things are exactly opposite on, for example, KTMs.

Edited by Tenerider

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

MBK builds "our" T7s

@Tenerider Who is "MBK'?

It is VERY surprising that there is that much difference in the maintenance schedule. Maybe it has to do with the different styles of riding you guys do

American motorcyclists, 4,000 mile oil changes

mark hyde ktm Promotion OFF 64%

European motorcyclists, 10,000 km oil changes:

No photo description available.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

12 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@Tenerider Who is "MBK'?

It is VERY surprising that there is that much difference in the maintenance schedule. Maybe it has to do with the different styles of riding you guys do

True!

MBK is a french contract manufacturer for Yamaha. They actually build our bikes over here, according to EU law they are even the official manufacturer.

@Tenerider A French Scooter Company making half of the T7's? This explains a lot of the malities you guys are having issues with!

• Like 2

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 4/8/2022 at 7:33 PM, Cornflake said:

Hi there everyone!

4 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@Tenerider Who is "MBK'?

We do like to use extra virgin olive oil in our machines this side of the pond  😉

• Haha 2