Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dumbass gas tank

Terez

Luvin the T7 .... rilliant bike in almost every area

but ....I rhink thebsame engineer reaponsible for the tail light assembly designed the gas tank

1st off ....what is the point of a plastic cover ??  Severely limits tank bag options, scuffs damages easily, looks cheap, reduces tank volume for the same given space, introduces unecessary fasteners...and then the cherry on top is a heavy clunky gas cap that is separate ...and needs the key to go back on 

huge fail

a tank without stupid faschia sculpted the right shape with an integral aviation style flip up cap like the superT would have been ideal

rant ended ....bike is awesome tho😎

• Like 1

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

10 minutes ago, parkys100 said:

Yes and the plastic cover is brittle ,hence cracks easily .

Acerbis 22l is the answer.

Hell yeah. They could’ve just built an ally tank in same shape as acerbis and it would’ve been awesome. As an option maybe so people could choose range or lightness. 

I guess the idea is that a cracked plastic cover is easier and cheaper to replace than a dented tank.
Not saying it's the best idea but people nowadays have the tendency to stop thinking about consequences or better options after they had the first idea. Same you can see in the solutions to safe our planet, al quick solutions and everybody with just a little common sense can see the problems in the future and in some cases ignoring the problems already exist like wanting everyting electric in a time we don't even have chips enough for all gadgetry on the gas gosling bikes and cars. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

Hell yeah. They could’ve just built an ally tank in same shape as acerbis and it would’ve been awesome. As an option maybe so people could choose range or lightness. 

You think so Dougie? I don't like the shape of the acerbis tank. It looks like the shape would make it harder for a tank bag to stay put without trying to slide in the rider. It does look nice though.

21 minutes ago, Yasenia said:

You think so Dougie? I don't like the shape of the acerbis tank. It looks like the shape would make it harder for a tank bag to stay put without trying to slide in the rider. It does look nice though.

Yeah, the only downside for me is that you can’t put your chosen colours and decals on it. The shape keeps as close as possible to the original profile with the plastic cover. You hardly tell the difference physically. For tank bags there is the French baglux setup. Not sure if the basic one would fit the acerbis but you can pay extra for personalising/tailoring. 
mine will be kept ready for distance travels. 

@Redbikejohn my butt/seat combo is only good for 200 miles.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

It's just a bean counter decision I think, a plastic top would be a lot cheaper than a stylish painted up metal tank.  Has anyone seen the metal tank below?  I think I got a glimpse of it when mounting my bars, a very basic/rough looking thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@Redbikejohn my butt/seat combo is only good for 200 miles.

Lol mine too but I commute on mine and don't like refilling mid shift block .... 12hr shifts.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, Terez said:

and then the cherry on top is a heavy clunky gas cap that is separate ...and needs the key to go back on 

huge fail

a tank without stupid faschia sculpted the right shape with an integral aviation style flip up cap like the superT would have been ideal

What he said!!!

I dropped my gas-cap today and broke a corner the the cheap brittle black plastic cap.

No replacement plastic cover available (just held on by four small screw... should have been easy).

Noooo, you have to buy the $200 cap assembly (with different keys?)!!!

Tonight I got the super glue and/or 2-part epoxy out.

No, I don't want to hinge mine and I do not want to buys a $50 acerbis gas cap protector shield.

I just want to vent right now....

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

The $10 ETSY printed part to flip open the gas cap is the best mod to date!    Not really but it’s worth the  $10 no doubt.

Offroad (dirt) bikes are never painted. They use colored plastic and decals. Because paint would scratch, but the plastic can scratch and still be the right color.

Maybe this tank was inspired by the same thinking? If it gets scratched, the cover will not lose color, it will still be black. If it was painted metal, the tank would lose paint and rust.

Don't know, but that might be why it has a plastic cover. Just my 2 cents.

If you want to attach the cap to the tank take a look here: Free flexible hinge

Edited by Chris1974

The 660 had a plastic tank, they should have stick to that.

Than you also could have 1 or 2 litres more within the same shape and outer size.