Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Speedometer not indicating

Lungulu

Question

Hello all, my new tenere 700 took a little beating today and now is not indicating any speed and the ABS light doesn't go out as it thinks it is not running. Everything else is working perfect. Anyone had this issue and knows how to fix it or will I have to take to the dealer?

22 answers to this question

Have you checked the ABS sensor(s)?
They are known to be damaged in some cases and if i'm correct the ABS sensor doubles as the speed sensor.

That's why ABS rings with a slightly different hole pattern is available for correcting the speed indicator to a more accurate reading.

First thing I would check in the front wheel sensor.

image.png.e18b344f7bcea22756722633d4605b36.png

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Lungulu said:

Hello all, my new tenere 700 took a little beating today and now is not indicating any speed and the ABS light doesn't go out as it thinks it is not running. Everything else is working perfect. Anyone had this issue and knows how to fix it or will I have to take to the dealer?

Beating? Has the abs sensor been smacked and moved/ become disconnected? 
I take it was working before and not like some dealers had done and assembled the bike incorrectly? 

9 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Beating? Has the abs sensor been smacked and moved/ become disconnected? 
I take it was working before and not like some dealers had done and assembled the bike incorrectly? 

Whoops. Bit late. Other replies didn’t show. 👍

Edited by Dougie
  • Haha 1

Hello folks, have visually checked everything and could not find any fault, loose connector or stripped wire. Checked all fuses and cleaned everything. Will take her to the dealer and see what they come up with.

Latest update with everything checked twice or three times the problem persists. Had the bike in to the dealer for warranty. They changed the front ABS sensor. Bike went well for 5km and the problem was back. Now I am quite desperate because the bike is back at the dealer and they say as they are unable to locate the cause, they will change the whole wire harness. Do you agree with them? Do you think that it is so difficult to locate an open connection or shorted wire?

Finding a electrical problem can take up a lot of time so i don't find it a strange idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lungulu said:

Latest update with everything checked twice or three times the problem persists. Had the bike in to the dealer for warranty. They changed the front ABS sensor. Bike went well for 5km and the problem was back. Now I am quite desperate because the bike is back at the dealer and they say as they are unable to locate the cause, they will change the whole wire harness. Do you agree with them? Do you think that it is so difficult to locate an open connection or shorted wire?

They're guessing at the fix.  Replacing the wiring harness complete is grasping at straws.  It may be just an open circuit on the dashes circuit board.  And that is one of the reasons I dislike taking my bike to the dealer for anything.  

They need to prove the trouble location and then replace parts as needed.  

Also, why would they replace only the front ABS sensor and not both?  WTH

I wish I was your neighbor so I could trouble shoot this for you.  

• Like 1

Thank you Landshark, already thought I was alone with my opinion. First time I brought it in on April they said it is the front sensor because OBD was saying so. I knew that it was strange as I tested both sensors rear and front and there was no fault in the sensors themselves. I did not want to go any further because I was afraid about loosing warranty. As the problem persisted I took it back again end of May. They had the bike for a week when they finally called me and said that they could not find the flaw and were told by Yamaha to proceed changing the whole wire harness. At first when I heard that I was very upset because I thought that if they were unable to find the fault how would they be able to take the whole bike apart and put it back together right. I am very scared as the bike is new. Got it since February with just 1800km on the Glock. I would have gone through every cable/connector with a simple tester and test light to locate the problem. Never ever did I take any of my bikes to a dealer but this one as it is new. By now I do not really know what to do. Leave it to be repaired or get it back faulty and try on my own.

• Like 1

I would get it back and ride it as it is until the wiring harness shows up.

With current supply chain issues you never know how long it might take to get a harness.

When the harness shows up let them switch it.  Might be without the bike for a day for the install.  No way I would leave it there with no idea how long it might sit before the parts show up.

I would look for a wiring diagram and trace the circuit.  Could be something as simple as a connector not fully inserted and having a poor connection, but I would think they would have checked that during their inspection.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Thank you williestreet, if I left the bike there is because they told me last Friday that managing the order, getting the harness delivered and completely installed will take place all in one week. Meaning that I should have the bike back by next Friday. What makes me wonder why they don't do things as they are supposed to. Or they really don't know how to or it is cheaper replacing the complete harness. Anyways will I go for my bike next Friday and with some luck it will be fixed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Any luck getting it fixed?

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

Any luck getting it fixed?

I too am curious as to the outcome of this.  If you include @Lungulu, the poster will be notified of your question vs waiting for them to revisit the thread and read your post.  

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I’m always frustrated when members come for advice and the drop off the radar and don’t follow up- answers could others in the future

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lewie said:

I’m always frustrated when members come for advice and the drop off the radar and don’t follow up- answers could others in the future

Exactly. None of the rest of us learn anything when this happens.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Hello everyone and please excuse the delay but there is not really any news about it. As suggested by williestreet at the time, I went to collect the bike without being repaired in order to use it which I am.  There is quite a delay for ordered parts to arrive. In my case did they receive some spares but those being the same sensors they already changed and had to order again with the resulting addition in time. Imagine if the bike was not running what a frustration. I am told that the parts will arrive on July 11th which is next Monday. On Tuesday the 12th I will leave the bike at the dealer. They told me that it will take them two days to change the whole wire harness. In the meantime I have also the engine control light running steady solid but could not notice any other fault. I will surely be back reporting on any news about this regard. Please excuse but as I could not tell anything new I left the post untouched in order to be back on a later stage with hopefully good news. I also want to state that I called Yamaha headquarters in my desperation them being very interested and concerned about the regard. I told them even to give my money back or give me a brand-new bike. They did not lent me another bike as mine was running which is true. The thing is that I am sure that the spare has arrived earlier than normal due to my protests. I also am not so much concerned as before about the workmanship as they are calling me from the headquarters every week to tell me where the parts are at exactly and telling me that they will assist the mechanics at all times. So for this parts my congrats to Yamaha. Again, please excuse all of you for the waiting and be sure that I will be back with any news.

• Like 6

Thank you very much for the update!

• Like 2

Good morning folks!

Had my bike back yesterday from the dealership and want to share my experience with you as I think that there is more to it then initially expected. As you know did I have the ABS light running steady and the ABS itself did not work. Had the bike to the dealer and they changed the front ABS sensor with no success. Had it back to the dealer again to change the whole wiring harness. They showed me the harness before and after the change. They did a perfect job marking all screws after torque with colored wax. They cleaned the whole bike with a pressure washer to check waterproofness of the connections, it is shiny as new. They say they reprogrammed the whole ECU and rode the bike for about 80km in all conditions. Everything is working correctly by now and what I felt and think is important, the bike starts so much better now than before. It took about three times longer to crank than it does now. I am incredibly happy with the result and encourage everyone not to rely on the first dealers opinion. If you have doubts like me, call Yamaha, the response you get is outstanding. Thank you

• Like 4

Hello guys! 

I would like to share a very similar issue with my T700. 

I began to notice that the ABS light stayed on and the speedometer was incoherent until it reached the point of marking 0km/h permanently.

I checked all ABS sensors, clean areas, remove brake discs, etc...

Finally my mechanic found the problem that was causing both the ABS light to stay on and the speedometer to not work properly (which caused it to not count the kms on the odometer).

The cause was that the front brake cable had been damaged due to rubbing against the metal radiator guard.

The solution was to reinforce the cable and protect that area of the radiator so that it does not rub again and prevent it from damaging the cable.

Now everything is working properly again!

I hope that my experience will serve others and that we keep in mind that an ABS fault can also come from the brake wiring.

image.jpeg

Edited by PJT700
upload image
  • Like 3

Hello folks,

never had anymore issues ever since but it seems a very common problem with the T7 electronics when there is nearly any other.

As I said in the posts above Yamaha changed the sensor together with its cable twice on my bike and as you know the fault was living in the main harness itself. But good to know that in your case it was just that.

Edited by Lungulu
  • Like 2