Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clank sound from the handlebars area

indispus

Hello! I have the following problem that I am trying to solve: a `clank` metallic sound from the upper side of the handlebars / clamp when I push hard in on the forks. What can it be? How can I try to solve this?

Scenario 1: When I do a hard front brake and the suspension dives in, it makes the `clank` sound. 

Scenario 2: While standing, I hold the front brake and push hard on the handlebars. The same sound...

Checks:

- I've checked the front disk brakes and the calipers. Everything is solid down there.

- I've checked the handlebars screws, they are all tight, there is no play.

- Also all fork screws are tight.

I think the sound comes from this area... (center of the picture)

PXL_20220420_062305577.jpg

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 Rally Edition / 2018 Husqvarna TE 250i / 2008 KTM EXC-450 R

• Supporting Vendor
16 hours ago, indispus said:

Hello! I have the following problem that I am trying to solve: a `clank` metallic sound from the upper side of the handlebars / clamp when I push hard in on the forks. What can it be? How can I try to solve this?

Scenario 1: When I do a hard front brake and the suspension dives in, it makes the `clank` sound. 

Scenario 2: While standing, I hold the front brake and push hard on the handlebars. The same sound...

Checks:

- I've checked the front disk brakes and the calipers. Everything is solid down there.

- I've checked the handlebars screws, they are all tight, there is no play.

- Also all fork screws are tight.

I think the sound comes from this area... (center of the picture)

PXL_20220420_062305577.jpg

I've had the aluminum stem nut back off a few times. It makes a hell of a racket over rough terrain. It's an easy one to check. If not that, then @Ray Ride4life 's suggestion of the steering head bearing would be the next thing I'd check.

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

When pulling the front brake, try to push/pull the bike forward/backward on the handlebars.

If it's the stemhead bearing, you should also be able to feel it in the handlebars.

• Like 2

Definitely the head bearing top nut. Needs to be tightened with a crazy torque value. Had this happen once, loosened itself offroad. Had it tigthened to spec and put a little scratch mark on one side of the nut to keep an eye on it. Hasn't come loose ever since...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

When pulling the front brake, try to push/pull the bike forward/backward on the handlebars.

If it's the stemhead bearing, you should also be able to feel it in the handlebars.

Just did that. Nothing.

The click only occurs when I push really hard on the handlebars.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 Rally Edition / 2018 Husqvarna TE 250i / 2008 KTM EXC-450 R

2 hours ago, Spuzvica said:

Definitely the head bearing top nut. Needs to be tightened with a crazy torque value. Had this happen once, loosened itself offroad. Had it tigthened to spec and put a little scratch mark on one side of the nut to keep an eye on it. Hasn't come loose ever since...

You are right! After I have tightened the top nut, the sound was gone. Thank you very much for your advice!

Edited by indispus
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, indispus said:

You are right! After I have tightened the top nut, the sound was gone. Thank you very much for your advice!

Welcome, glad you resolved it, it's a really strong sound that makes one worried otherwise.

• Thanks 1

The top nut on my steering stem has also come loose a few times. Took me forever to figure out what was clanking over pot hoels. I can get at it with a crescent wrench but can't crank on it. I'll need to take the risers off one of these days and get the torque wrench out to do it properly. 

I am back. After a proper off-road ride the clank sound is back again. So... torquing the top nut, that is made from soft aluminium, is not the solution.

Next, I am planning to remove the upper side of the fork and torque what is holding the bearing in place. I will need a special tool that I don't have to torque that... 

This is the torque wrench that I will need to torque the steering nut: 90890-01403 / YU-33975

steering-nut-wrench_big9089001403-01_e595.jpg.075eebab4dfe421b46b2b1802905523d.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redneckj said:

front caliper loose?

Checked. Caliper and front disks are solid.

• Like 1

Is the header pipes loosely tightened, causing the pipe to bang against the engine?  Just a thought.  

On 4/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, indispus said:

I am back. After a proper off-road ride the clank sound is back again. So... torquing the top nut, that is made from soft aluminium, is not the solution.

Next, I am planning to remove the upper side of the fork and torque what is holding the bearing in place. I will need a special tool that I don't have to torque that... 

You do not need a torque wrench.

Take the upper triple off.  There are 2 nuts on top of the bearing, the upper is to lock the bottom.  Remove the upper lock nut and tighten the bottom nut slightly.   There should also be a small spacer/washer that fits over the top nut and down through the slots in the nuts to hold them relative to each other. remove this first.  Just use a pair of channel lock pliers or whatever you have to add a bit of preload to the bearing and remove any play.  Move the forks side to side and just make sure to not over tighten and cause binding.

Put the top lock nut back on and tighten.  Check again for binding.  When putting the upper triple back on make sure to tighten the aluminum steering stem nut first to pull it down and the 4 pinch bolts for the forks always get tightened last.  

This isn't rocket science and absolutely no need to torque these nuts or have special tools to set a small amount of bearing preload. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

If you or somebody else over tightened the bottom triple tree it can smash the upper fork tube 

@indispus , I'm definitely not a certified mechanic but I did recently dismantle the steering head assembly to clean and regrease the bearings and inspect the bearing races. If you were hearing a "clank" it would be worthwhile to inspect those races for damage, or even better have a qualified person do the inspection and reassembly.

The service manual says to initially torque that bottom nut to 75 Nm, back it off 180 degrees, then retorque to 7 Nm. Then torque the aluminum top nut to 148 Nm. I'm fairly sure @williestreet has a lot of wrenching experience, but without torque wrenches I'd never have known whether I was setting torques anywhere near accurately. Not doing it right might end up with the same problem again, so expert help would be useful.

Edited by Uncle M

• 3 weeks later...

Did you manage to resolve this sound @indispus? It’s seems that I’ve got a similar clunk coming from the front forks also.  Raised its head today with only 1200kms on the bike and is very noticeable on any rough terrain when the suspension stroke is over half way. 

Yes, I have managed to fix the problem. I went to Yamaha dealer to check it, and they just tightened the top screw to the right torque. After that the issue was gone. 

• Like 1