Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Improving cooling on a T7

Rekiem

Hi everyone

I would like to know your opinions and thoughts to improve the cooling system on a T7.

I'm asking because on my old xt660za it was really hard to get the radiator fan to turn on, even on sumer time At 40°C. You needed ride really hard to turn on radiator fan. 

Last weekend on my T7 radiator fan was turn on/ off all the time. Water cooling level is ok.

Thanks.

And what was the temperature of the coolant of the bike during that moment?

• Like 1

Did you have a temp gauge on your old XT660xa? Hard to compare if not.

Some people here "flash" their ECU and the change richens the fuel mixture... it runs a bit cooler so they say.

I am OK with the stock setup and the fan coming on often. Yamaha knows what they are doing. I have read no reports of overheating on this motor. When the fan stops coming on is when I would be worried!!

Note:

Farmer boy near me changed his electric fan on his air cooled Honda ATV to come on "All" the time. I thought that was a pretty simple idea.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

3 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

And what was the temperature of the coolant of the bike during that moment?

About 104 108°C. It's ok. It works the same as my brother's T7. Just I would like if we can improve It. It happens when you are riding on technical off road places. Specially when you are climbing at low speed.

Edited by Rekiem

3 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Did you have a temp gauge on your old XT660xa? Hard to compare if not.

Some people here "flash" their ECU and the change richens the fuel mixture... it runs a bit cooler so they say.

I am OK with the stock setup and the fan coming on often. Yamaha knows what they are doing. I have read no reports of overheating on this motor. When the fan stops coming on is when I would be worried!!

Note:

Farmer boy near me changed his electric fan on his air cooled Honda ATV to come on "All" the time. I thought that was a pretty simple idea.

No a temp gauge on my old xt660za that I had. But I asked a Yamaha dealer. They said It was normal on a xt660. No overheating on my T7. Just I would like if we can improve It because on sumer temperature  will be much more hot.

22 minutes ago, Rekiem said:

Just I would like if we can improve It because on sumer temperature  will be much more hot.

When it gets hotter the fan will work more.
I bet if it needed more cooling Yamaha would have programmed the fan to start sooner.
When you mess with it you might end up running too cool in colder temperatures which can be worse than a bit warmer in summer.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

What about moving to Canada?🤣

Will be great! I Love your country. The weather it's a Shet on sumer here. You need an air conditioning machine to sleep every night on sumer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rekiem said:

Well, i m not from Canada, but from the Netherlands. But i see pictures here from canadian T7 riders that they still have snow ...

Will be great! I Love your country. The weather it's a Shet on sumer here. You need an air conditioning machine to sleep every night on sumer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Ride4life said:

When it gets hotter the fan will work more.
I bet if it needed more cooling Yamaha would have programmed the fan to start sooner.
When you mess with it you might end up running too cool in colder temperatures which can be worse than a bit warmer in summer.

Or a biger radiator. I installed two radiator biger than stock ones on a crf450R. It works.

1 minute ago, DuncMan said:

Or Britain!! 😂

Lovely country as well. I will improve my off Road skills on wet tracks.

• Like 1

There is another option i saw yesterday in this video.
Wait when he talks about the silicone coolant hoses.

• Like 1

When i had my ktm 950 adv, riders talked out overheating cos engine is covered by fueltanks. Many changed their coolant for "engine ice coolant", claiming drop in engine temperature. I never tried and have no idea if it works.

• Like 2

I don't know. I never hear about engine ice coolant. Silicone coolant hoses could be an improve. Also I'm thinking ad a second radiator fan with a manual switch. 

When on a crf450R I had overheating you would run out of clutch. I think will be so expensive find a big radiator for a T7.

Let's see.

Personally i would not worry about overheating. I think the yamaha engineers built modern liquid cooled engines that can cope with it.

I travelled 200.000+ km on an aircooled DR600 with small oilcooler, in all climates and stop and go traffic at 40c. Sure engine got very hot, but it never gave up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Personally i would not worry about overheating. I think the yamaha engineers built modern liquid cooled engines that can cope with it.

I travelled 200.000+ km on an aircooled DR600 with small oilcooler, in all climates and stop and go traffic at 40c. Sure engine got very hot, but it never gave up.

The new T7 WR already has an oil cooler. Yamaha improve cooling system. I would like know if WR T7 has 2 radiator fan. I think so. When you are riding with very hot engine you lose performance in the engine and clutch. For 30 or 40 euros I can install a cheap fan. The bike has room on the radiator. I want to use the auxiliary outputs on the sides to make it work. I will not modify the operation of the standard fan. 

But I want to study it seriously.

AMRFEV.png

Amplio stock en Electroventiladores para tu moto de Motocross y Enduro. Tenemos todo lo que necesitas en GreenlandMX, centro especializado Off-Road

¿Estáis buscando un Ventilador para moto? Listamos los 10 MEJORES del momento, con sus características, OPINIONES y OFERTAS. ¿Te lo vais a perder?

Yeah I was wondering about this as well, there seems to be enough room for s deeper rad, or a bigger fan. When it's hot out and I am running at low speed fan never seems to shut off. Wish it was a tad oversized to handle the heat honestly, I'm in ohio, not sure how you could be in Florida or something and just not have the fan on 100% of the time. 

If there was a bigger fan i knew of I would prolly get one 🙂

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

Yeah I was wondering about this as well, there seems to be enough room for s deeper rad, or a bigger fan. When it's hot out and I am running at low speed fan never seems to shut off. Wish it was a tad oversized to handle the heat honestly, I'm in ohio, not sure how you could be in Florida or something and just not have the fan on 100% of the time. 

If there was a bigger fan i knew of I would prolly get one 🙂

Mike

Yeah, radiator looks like just a on road radiator use. A really thin one. Totally agree there is room for a bigger fan or a wider radiator.

The T7 has a sufficient cooling systwm for average riding .....moat modern bikes the fan comes on/off often .....at low ground speeds....designed too...dont worry.

the T7 suffers from thensame dilema all modern machines do....overly lean mapping and cat reatriction....both of which produce incredible heat

in fact they map the bikes overly lean not only to use less fuel but to really cool the cat as it only works well when its freakin hot.  

then therea the byproduct of the cat restriction which is heat held in the exhaust/engine

best thing you can do for any modern machine is a tune and or cat removal

Not a ridiculous race tune but a sensible tune that runs cooler amd makes more/better power/response

engine will run significantly cooler especially at lower ground speeds when under loads....tune can also lower the fan temp too which is always a good thing

if you arent willing to tune and or decat then live with a tea kettle and its associated problems....only option is to address symptoms rather than the actual problem heat production

• Like 2

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

19 hours ago, Terez said:

The T7 has a sufficient cooling systwm for average riding .....moat modern bikes the fan comes on/off often .....at low ground speeds....designed too...dont worry.

the T7 suffers from thensame dilema all modern machines do....overly lean mapping and cat reatriction....both of which produce incredible heat

in fact they map the bikes overly lean not only to use less fuel but to really cool the cat as it only works well when its freakin hot.  

then therea the byproduct of the cat restriction which is heat held in the exhaust/engine

best thing you can do for any modern machine is a tune and or cat removal

Not a ridiculous race tune but a sensible tune that runs cooler amd makes more/better power/response

engine will run significantly cooler especially at lower ground speeds when under loads....tune can also lower the fan temp too which is always a good thing

if you arent willing to tune and or decat then live with a tea kettle and its associated problems....only option is to address symptoms rather than the actual problem heat production

Here (Catalonia) we have to pass a technical inspection on vehicles with circulation permits. On motorcycles it is from 4 years after first registration and then every two years. When the bike is ten years old it has to pass inspection every year.
If you modify or add any accessory, They must have their approval (homologation card). When I have to take the bike to pass the technical inspection I will have to bring the homologation card of my Leo Vince exhaust. If I remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust, the inspection will not pass because the machine that measures the exhaust gases will say that it does not comply with Euro5 regulations. 

You can also find a police control where they verify with a portable machine that your motorcycle complies with the vehicle's technical data sheet. Tire size, noise, HP,...

If you remove the mirrors or the turn signals so as not to break them when you go off road. If the police catch you they will fine you.

Yeah no freedom for Riders on my area.

Edited by Rekiem
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

That sux....we only certify our vehicles when registering it in  our bame here in Canada.....for now

enjoying my freedom while I can 😎

• Like 2

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

Once I sent my ECU in and got it re-mapped, my temps stay right around 185 now. Re-mapping will help alot-

• Like 1

Will be great have two ECU. One standard other one re-mapped. But I'm a poor boy. I'm thinking install 2 small radiator fan. Each one on  radiator corners. 10cm X 10cm. They will run with a manual switch. Totally independent from the standard fan. 

Now I want replace my steel crash bars for an aluminium ones. Then I'll improve the fan.

I found with mine cooling fan rarely comes on anymore, but when I first got it, on and off all the time on the trails. What changed? Me. I found that at speeds below 25mph just keep it in a gear to keep the rpm below 3000 and the cooling fan won't be going on and off.

• Like 1