Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Zumo XT power requirements

Hibobb

I have my Zumo XT mounted on the T7, everything works great and the power comes from the 2 amp switched accessory connection.

My question is:

I want to occasionally use the ZUMO on my kick-start dirt bike (XR400R) that has no battery.

My thinking is to use an external battery pack, like the backup power for your cell phones. 

Can I use the Zumo supplied cable (USB to Mini USB) to connect my unit to the backup battery?

The cable is intended to link to my computer to do updates to the software and I am "guessing" it will charge the unit also.

Has anyone done this? Please no "I think so answers"... if I screw up I might burn out my expensive toy!

Best Portable Power Banks 2021: Anker, POWERADD, RAVPower, Luxtude -  Rolling Stone

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

It should be fine.
When you use the cable to hook it up to a computer it also charges.
USB had a uniform power of 5V, it's only the amperage that may differ but for charging that only says how fast it's charging.
Some outlets have a USB-C only but i don't think those are on a powerbank. I have double 240V outlet with 4 USB ports for charging and one of the 4 is USB-C only.

This is from Garmin. It confuses me!!

Note: Do not use the USB cable to power the device on a motorcycle. This could be low current and cause corrosion.

The provided vehicle power cable MUST be used in the vehicle in order for the device to operate and charge the battery simultaneously. 

The device cannot be charged by a USB cable in the vehicle unless the provided vehicle power cable was a USB cable and adapter.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@Ray Ride4life "It should be fine" sound like one of those things a lawyer tells the politicians to say, to limit their liability...

I agree, this sound logical, but.... has anyone done it?

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

7 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@Ray Ride4life "It should be fine" sound like one of those things a lawyer tells the politicians to say, to limit their liability...

I agree, this sound logical, but.... has anyone done it?

My bad... it will most definite not damage the device but i'm not 100% sure it will charge because i had the Zümo 395 before and that didn't charge on the USB port in the car of my ex but that port was probably a data only just for a stick with music.
There are also USB cables with different wiring and some are also data only.
Just plug it in and see if it charges, if not try another cable.
But remember that de XT will not be waterproof when plugged in so when you get into mud use the internal battery.

• 7 months later...

Yes, but only if the powerbank has enough current to actually charge the GPS while using it. Many of the motorcycle-borne USB chargers and powerbanks do not supply enough current, which is why they say not to do what you are asking about. It's essentially the same thing as plugging your phone into a very low amperage charging block. IDK about yours, but my phone pops up a warning notification about that. Your kick-start bike should still have a 12-volt source SOMEWHERE on it. Does it not have any lights at all? No battery?

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, PNGL said:

12-volt source SOMEWHERE on it

The bike in question is a 2002 Honda Xr400R. Kick start, No battery, No big capacitor, lights are 12V, but... it is 12V AC, I have found no regulator/rectifier (selenium rectifier for old guys).

What I ended up doing was stealing the battery out of the wife's scooter and strapping it to the back fender.

Ran my GPS all day

image.png.5b6468c5d04cedb6289f90a4393ecdee.png

Edited by Hibobb

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Wow. That's odd, but then again I've never had a dirt bike. Only ever messed with street legal stuff, which all had 12v DC somewhere. Here's what you could use: 

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Convertor-10-28V-Regulator-Waterproof/dp/B07TJQZZG5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1VTJGORWXWJ2O&keywords=12v+ac+to+dc+converter+12v&qid=1669757842&sprefix=12v+ac+to+dc+converter+12v%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-4

3A DC should be way more than enough for the dock and charging wire, considering it only gets a single amp to charge with on USB power.

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

@PNGL, Neato! Simple and cheap, like me!

@mpatch, If I was running something big, like Baja lights, that would be the ticket.

Thanks to both you you!!

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

FYI, the Battery on the Zumo XT last a really really long time.   Another way to power the GPS is to use a VERY small lightweight lithium battery.  Charge it before you ride and make a mount somewhere on the bike for the battery.  

You should have about 50 watts of power available. So if you have a headlight and run the gps it might be an issue. I’m not sure how sensitive the gps is to power drops.

With most electronic crap inconsistent power supply messes with them. 

Every had a bike that the lights got brighter when you revved it?

Edited by mpatch

6 hours ago, mpatch said:

With most electronic crap inconsistent power supply messes with them

Thanks, that makes sense. I could put a headlight switch on the bike if I am short on power. 

Maybe add a small battery (as @Redneckj suggested) to steady things a bit.

Not high on the priority list right now, snow is falling, 9F tomorrow.

Thanks to all...

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~