Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oxford heated grips - connect where?

Daniel M

Hello guys!

I hope this question isn't to dumb - here we go:

The Oxford heated grips are suppose to be connected straight to the battery I believe, is there a reason for this or is it ok to connect it to the "empty" slots that are available for auxiliary lights and similar are suppose to be connected to?

Grateful for answer

You can hook the Oxford heated grips to one of two switched 12v wires on the accessory plug.  On the right side of the bike behind the front side panel.  The panel that has the turn signal in it.  

Or, get a Thunderbox from HealTech and connect the Oxfords to it.   

2 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

You can hook the Oxford heated grips to one of two switched 12v wires on the accessory plug.  On the right side of the bike behind the front side panel.  The panel that has the turn signal in it.  

Or, get a Thunderbox from HealTech and connect the Oxfords to it.   

Thanks for your answer, so the Oxford doesn’t draw to much electricity for the “extra” ports?? 

Thunderbox?

10 amp connector

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Why don't you want to hook up to the battery? It's designed for it and has an automatic shut down.. Save your self the trouble and keep those Aux plugs for lights, 12v charger etc.. 

Edited by Fraz's T7
Spelling

3 hours ago, Fraz's T7 said:

Why don't you want to hook up to the battery? It's designed for it and has an automatic shut down.. Save your self the trouble and keep those Aux plugs for lights, 12v charger etc.. 

For me at least, the reason not to hook into battery is just because many times these automatic features have let me down. Oxford is designed to cut off power automatically after a while, but if it doesn't, I'm stranded with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere. 

Another thing is that there is only so much power you can draw. Ultimately it's about how much power your alternator can push.  Aux plugs (light, heated grips, 12V dash output) are 14 amps combined. I'm guessing that's few amps shy from max current that bike will produce on low rpms when all the other electric stuff is on.

So saving aux plugs to other stuff really doesn't make much sense to me. If you go over the 14 amps you'd need to start checking if your battery is actually recharging on all rpms. If you blow aux plugs fuses, you know your nearing the limit. I split my 10amp aux in to four so I have heated grips, GPS, additional 12v dash outlet and one free extra plug for future. Oxford grips pull around 4 amps, GPS less than 1 amp and 12v outlet with my gear around 2-4 amps. So 1 amp in spare in worst case scenario with 10A aux plug. 

So no hassle and I can always rely that if I have key in my pocket, I won't get stranded to wilderness with dead battery because my additional electronics will draw the battery empty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1