Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Tenere 900

Rekiem

If true, this would IMHO be a step into the wrong direction - but they would probably sell lots of them anyway 😉

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

Yamaha like all motorcicle companies just wants sell with a good profite.

A light weight T7 with a better ground clearance will be a great improve IMHO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rekiem said:

Yamaha like all motorcicle companies just wants sell with a good profite.

A light weight T7 with a better ground clearance will be a great improve IMHO.

I agree! More towards a dual sport, not towards a bigger touring bike.

I think the T7 is still a great do-it-all bike.  Works fine offroad, works fine onroad, and works fine in between 😉

• Like 3

It’s been discussed before, it’s inevitable and will sell. Think of it as a super Tenere to compete against the Africa twin and Norden  etc. They wouldn’t get rid of the 7. They’d have to be idiots. Your right though, they should also do a “xt700e” type version (ours almost is) too, with smaller tank and less weight. Easy and cheap to have these few variants. I’d have a 900 for touring on long roads. Wouldn’t get rid of the 7 ever though 

Edited by Dougie
Spelling
  • Like 2

I think a T5 enduro would be a better move.

That could compete with the CRF450.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I think a T5 enduro would be a better move.

That could compete with the CRF450.

I have had a '94 Honda XR600RR. It was a 590cc. I would say a T6. A 450 it's a small engine on road IMHO.

Edited by Rekiem

2 minutes ago, Rekiem said:

I have had a '91 Honda XR600RR. It was a 590cc. I would say a T6. A 450 it's a small engine on road IMHO.

To reduce weight you also have to downgrade if you want to loose weight at a reasonable cost.

I like to see the Tenere as a more offroad biased bike and therefore focus on that kind of use.

A 500 will get you where you want, just at a lower pace but when you get there you just keep going because weight is less of a limitation.

Look on YouTube to Itchy Boots, she crossed all of South Africa on a CRF 250 and at the end she did the Kalahari Rally with it.

Now she's crossing south and central America on her way to Alaska on a CRF 300.

Mostly offroad but still a lot paved.

You want to ride on roads and have power? Buy a R1, a bit more comfort take a Tracer but offroad less is more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

To reduce weight you also have to downgrade if you want to loose weight at a reasonable cost.

I like to see the Tenere as a more offroad biased bike and therefore focus on that kind of use.

A 500 will get you where you want, just at a lower pace but when you get there you just keep going because weight is less of a limitation.

Look on YouTube to Itchy Boots, she crossed all of South Africa on a CRF 250 and at the end she did the Kalahari Rally with it.

Now she's crossing south and central America on her way to Alaska on a CRF 300.

Mostly offroad but still a lot paved.

You want to ride on roads and have power? Buy a R1, a bit more comfort take a Tracer but offroad less is more.

I know what you are talking about. You are right. I respect It. I have a Yamaha '07 XG250. It's most fun bike ever. You can ride on road as well but it's really fun when you use It off road.

Edited by Rekiem
  • Like 1

t6 would be nice.

to compeat with the 690's 

btw lyndon poskit did a world tour with a 690. even rally'd it.. planned to do the dakar with it but then thy limited the cc's and had to get a 450 specially for dakar.

did the Mongolia rally and African rally, with the 690 he original build for world travel and rally.

preceding itchy by a few years.

but yea less is more in dirt.  tough my opinion on world travel is to have a good do all.

if you also commute a little more is desired.

the honda crf is a nice adition and show's some brands do listen. its just pity its honda 😛  with its wacky face on the rally version.

almost like bmw with the wink head lights. but worse.

hes one of my inspirations.  itchy boots as well. and all the dakar legends of the old and new. [ill only hope ill be as good]

bike-build.jpg

Lyndon Poskitt of “Races to Places” has both ridden and raced around the world on a motorcycle he built. What does it take to build a bike for such a feat? […]

• Like 2

Having owned a T7 for 2 years & ridden multiple bikes with the CP2 motor & the Triple, Yamaha made the right decision with the CP2 for the current iteration of the T7 & target market...the triple is too wide down low, heavier, has a power band not as amicable for the dual sport side of the equation & not as fuel efficient. Yamaha's Triple is more likely to evolve as a replacement of the Super Tenere 1200 going forward vs a T7 stablemate. The industry is starting to downsize & formulate less costly bikes as us wealthy baby boomers run our course & that well of disposable income dries up...new bike sales of feature laden, large displacement/weight motorcycles will continue to shrink...while other demographics such as women & less affluent markets continue to increase & drive manufacturers. Adventure bikes, which have become the highest demand in the market, will continue to develop sub categories...expect manufacturers to follow the trend of multiple versions from the same platform like BMW, KTM & Triumph....that being said do not expect Yamaha to develop & introduce new models as quickly as KTM/Husqvarna.

• Like 1

I'd buy a T9. The Super T is a bit long in the tooth, although it works great and I don't have any intentions of selling mine until I can find a suitable replacement. In my ideal world, the T9 would be a touringish bike to replace the Super T as that engine is too wide and heavy for a true off-road focused machine. The 900 engine is so much sweeter (aka Tracer!!) than the Super T's 1200.

As for a smaller bike, I have installed a street kit on my WR450, and other than gearing (too low and easily remedied) it would work great as a direct competitor to the CRF450. I think a 550/600 would be a great addition to the Tenere line, based upon a WR single to keep it light - under 300lbs.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

49 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Im more excited about the prospect of Yamaha making the R-9 sportbike with that engine.

For sure.  An R9 would be an absolutely fantastic street-use sportbike.  Wouldn't compare to either R6 or R1 on a track, but for streets?  Mmmm.  That'd be a killer sportbike.  I mean, that's basically where my Tracer is, having torn off most of the touring addons and stripped it down to larger-MT09 status.  Proper aerodynamics would get a lot more top end speed out of the CP3 (it's also heavily drag limited) but it's way more usable power than the R1 on the street, and much more "fun" in that you're actually using the gearing instead of just tooling around in first and second.  

It would help a lot with the problem you run into with the MT series that they are... Lets say, controversial in appearance.  The XSR900 helps for the retro-favouring folks, but if you're after sportbike looks and ergos and fast-on-the-street performance, Yamaha doesn't really have anything for you.  

58 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

They may when they see the low sales number for the R-7. 

You think so?  All I've seen has shown 100% of the R7's available sold. Yamaha  Total numbers may be low-ish compared to some bikes, but you could argue there's low numbers of T7's sold under that same mindset.  They're hard to get.  I've certainly not seen R7's languishing on dealership floors.  Yamaha shows the 2022 R7's fully sold out already.   For sure, though, an R9 sportbike would sell like freaking hotcakes.  The R7 is basically a North American New Rider's sportbike; like an R3/Ninja 400 for people who want more reasonable performance and a slightly larger bike. 

I feel the CP3 is basically a gimmie for a new Super Tenere.  The CP3 is (IMHO, anyways) a much better engine than the Super Tenere's 1200cc twin.  Just a much more modern take on it.  There's no width issue there, given that the Tracer is no wider than the Super Tenere.  It won't be a competitor for the T7; just a larger ADV bike more intended for two-up adventure touring, less technical offroad and more on-road performance, more in competition with the other ~900 class ADV bikes than the real big boys which appear to be in decreasing popularity these days (cost probably being a huge factor there).   Not really the bike for me for adventure, though; the extra power and weight are if anything a disadvantage offroad.  I do hope they go full electronic throttle on the T7 though just to include cruise control without it being a hugely expensive addon. 

• Like 1

Looks quite nice for a bigger road/rough road tourer. Still lighter than the massive machines, with a fair bit of power for the autobahn. Let’s hope they don’t put a ten litre fuel tank on it. 😳😂

and FFS Yamaha, put the F^*@#%^! speed blocks on it to start. 👍

• Like 1

There is what people would like and reality. A 900 would weight more and be more street oriented. A 450-600 would weigh less and be more off road oriented. The 700 is a great balance between street and off road. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, Tenerider said:

If true, this would IMHO be a step into the wrong direction - but they would probably sell lots of them anyway 😉

The heavier the bike the more crap you can carry, the more crap you carry the heavier the bike.  It's a vicious circle.

1064564997_VICIOUSCIRCLE.jpg.221dc72b9e24c9e80f6a956577b0d06e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if they make a T9, you'll see more of them at Starbucks than you will on back roads and DS'ing-700 is tall as is, add more weight = less fun, unless you are Pol Tarres. These bikes don't need more power, they need less weight to make a better experience.

• Like 1

T3 Twin, 350 lbs, 40hp... lean and fun!

Retune the R3 motor and put in it an adventure setup.

T9.... oink!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

10 hours ago, Hibobb said:

T3 Twin, 350 lbs, 40hp... lean and fun!

Retune the R3 motor and put in it an adventure setup.

T9.... oink!

Now you're talking like a WR250R owner.

Did i really read that someone here suggest T5?  That would compete with CRF450?   Did you forgot that Yamaha makes WR450F?

True that there is no competition for KTM690, but these are selling low volumes, does not mater in what colour and name KTM is going to call it (Husky, GasGas or KTM). Plus Japanese bike will never compete with austrian single cylinder engine - they are just not brave enough to produce 74BHP from single piston... they couldn't even make that on our CP2 🤣

T9 is the natural way - they need to have a competition for bigger 890 from KTM. If they do it properly it should be still enough light for an adventure bike. As long as it wont go over 215kg it should be good fun.

I would love T9 - i'm not Pol Tarres, i wouldn' mind extra 15kg offroad for a gain of let's say 40 Bhp... but it need to be a crossplane twin, God forbid three cylinders!

27 minutes ago, Boondocker said:

Now you're talking like a WR250R owner

No, but I know it is a great bike. I have 3x the fun with a light off road bike. I own a Honda XR400R and Suzuki DR350, both air cooled singles that are unstoppable. They are crude and unsophisticated, like me.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 7/19/2022 at 5:24 PM, Hibobb said:

No, but I know it is a great bike. I have 3x the fun with a light off road bike. I own a Honda XR400R and Suzuki DR350, both air cooled singles that are unstoppable. They are crude and unsophisticated, like me.

I sold my venerable DR650 after the Ténéré 700 made it redundant. Does that make me slightly less crude and unsophisticated?  Do love my WR250R though.

1 hour ago, Boondocker said:

Does that make me slightly less crude and unsophisticated

Boone, As your T7 and WR both have fuel pumps, fuel injection, liquid cooled, ect... Yes, you have moved up on the evolutary scale. You now have to shave daily, use a flowery deodorant, use a napkin and not your sleeve. If in Europe, you would even be required to wear your hair in a man-bun. 

• Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~