Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Normal engine temperature?

Dave D

Question

4 weeks into owning my T7. Just curious as to normal engine temperature and any issues for anyone? This is my first LC engine so still getting used to running temp / fan cut in. Seems to be 100 deg C or higher in most traffic. Ambient is around 12 - 17 deg C here at the mo. Sound normal? No funny smells. Where do the hot dogs go? Thanks all.

5 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Dave D said:

4 weeks into owning my T7. Just curious as to normal engine temperature and any issues for anyone? This is my first LC engine so still getting used to running temp / fan cut in. Seems to be 100 deg C or higher in most traffic. Ambient is around 12 - 17 deg C here at the mo. Sound normal? No funny smells. Where do the hot dogs go? Thanks all.

šŸ˜‚šŸŒ­. Yes they run hot, itā€™s fine. Some of the guys here have flashed the bike to have richer overrun, lower temp fan activation etc. Iā€™m in wales so very rarely been worried about the xt6 overheating either.Ā 

• Like 1

Seems normal. My fan kicks in around 100Ā°C also. Usually, I get these temps only in slow speed traffic / stop&go scenarios (comparable ambient temps like in your case).

Ā 

I think comparison of "engine temps" between different models or manufacturers are to be taken with care, it heavily depends on where/how the temperatures are being measured.

• Like 1

Awesome. Thanks folks. The temperature gauge on all my AC bikes was my nose! New baby panic over. Cheers.

Edited by Dave D
  • Like 1

I do just as much off road as on, mine would get to 218 deg before fan kicked on off road-technical riding and that was not acceptable to me so I had my ECU reflashed, it not only runs cooler, but it is less jerky in lower gears with less engine braking. The fan will now come on at about 205 deg and it runs better.

Never looked at it.
It runs fine, love the bike and that's it.
If it's overheat probably i light comes up, if not all's just fine.
Stop worrying and start having fun.

• Like 4