Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Idiots guide to USB install please

Lewie

I’d like to add a double usb to my T7 (UK) maybe with a battery state led

just a few questions 

if I wire it direct to the battery  presume it stays hot inc the led display so possibly causing drain

my other option is to one of the 2 pin spare plugs (presume these can be bought from eBay) on the lhs of the bike is this correct ?
has anyone discovered one that ‘pops in’ rather than a full front end tear down (kind of freaks me out on a new bike)

i prefer the style of cap on the original 12v socket as it covers the whole unit- what the members views on this?

My bike is not garaged but I have a very good cover 
thanks all

• Moderators

@Lewie Yes, you are correct,  if you connect a battery state LED directly to the battery you will have a current draw, how much depends on what is attached. Most attach electrical accessories to the oem auxiliary connectors provided on both sides of the front fairing. This thread discusses installing heated grips, but does address connector sources and amperage ratings.

An option for monitoring the battery state is using a plug in usb adapter that has a voltage display built in.  I've used mine for battery monitoring and powering a dash cam for almost years with no issues from rain or washing the bike.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1670-azjw-t700-build-mnt-records/?do=findComment&comment=18838

AINOPE Car Charger Adapter, Dual QC3.0 Port 6A/36W Fast USB Car Charger All Metal Cigarette Lighter USB Charger Voltage Display Compatible with 11/11 pro/XR/X/XS/8, Galaxy Note 8/S9/S10+/S8-Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08138GVMH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_9XK4G6E2DFMXW9HHC8PX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks all 

am I correct in thinking  I need a female 2 pin plug to connect to the loom

s-l400.jpg

<p dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">5 off. 2.8 mm 2way female connectors white. Condition is "New". Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class.</p>

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Thanks all 

am I correct in dating I need a female 2 pin plug to connect to the loom

s-l400.jpg

<p dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">5 off. 2.8 mm 2way female connectors white. Condition is "New". Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class.</p>

Yeah that is your best way forward.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/2/2022 at 6:43 PM, tenerecanada said:

Yeah that is your best way forward.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:18 PM, Lewie said:

Thanks all 

am I correct in thinking  I need a female 2 pin plug to connect to the loom

s-l400.jpg

No connector needed

I used the plug connector from the cigarette lighter socket i.e. if fitting a USB unit to replace the standard 12 volt cigarette lighter socket then use its plug connector.  

I the refitted standard 12V socket on right and wired it straight to the battery, so it’s always live even with ignition switch off and fitted with a 10am fuse it will run compressor air pumps and you can battery charge through it.