Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Coolant

Toppie

Question

A question for the learned assembly:

Routine checks around my 2022 bike today showed a low coolant level with a stone cold motor.

The bikes done 3200 kms from new.

A check at 1000 kms showed the level about  midway.

The user manual says it should be at the top mark (full) level at cold.

This looks like more than normal usage to me.notsure

Also,  does the coolant colour look correct?

The bike runs great.  Doesn't overheat and there's no signs of leakage.

Opinions welcomed ('specially positive ones):008:

Coolant.JPG.f6c056d9ce899da2547d693698b04900.JPG

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

15 answers to this question

A few days ago I added about 40ml of  the coolant to my T7. For the first time after about 14000 km. When the engine is cold, the level of the coolant  should be midway or a little bit higher. But it should not be to the maximum when it is cold. It can be to the maximum when the coolant is warm.

The color of the coolant on your picture is ok.

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that prompt reply @slawmir.

Your answer eased my concern a bit. I've always maintained my coolant level to the level you suggested.

I was a little puzzled when I read in the manual (page 16:5) to add coolant to the maximum level mark.

It also says not to exceed this level as this would reduce the volume left to allow for expansion. 

(There is actually quite a bit of tank volume left when the coolant level is at its full mark)

I'm thinking that I'll be adding coolant to about ¾ up from bottom mark to top mark.

Edited by Toppie
  • Like 2

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

@Toppie I found perhaps different or maybe better service manual for your T7 and there is said that the engine should be warm up for several minutes before checking the coolant level. Page 92, table of contents 3-27.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1975494/Yamaha-Tenere-700-2020.html?page=92#manual

By the way, the T7 is my first liquid cooled bike.🙂 

• Thanks 2

On 5/3/2022 at 10:18 AM, slawmir said:

@Toppie I found perhaps different or maybe better service manual for your T7 and there is said that the engine should be warm up for several minutes before checking the coolant level. Page 92, table of contents 3-27.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1975494/Yamaha-Tenere-700-2020.html?page=92#manual

By the way, the T7 is my first liquid cooled bike.🙂 

Based on the manual, after heating the engine, the middle of point A and point B is where coolant level should be. Correct?

IMG_1722.jpeg

The book is a little confusing. Coolant should really be checked cold. The “run the engine” bit is for after topping up and checking after it’s settled again to get a true level. If it’s been sat, and cold, the coolant is already settled to the true level. 

• Thanks 1

@Dougie

ive just been to check mine ( on the side stand) and could see no so I removed the bottle as it’s literally nearly empty 

can I just top up with orange coolant?
midway between L and F ? Stood upright ( not easy alone) 

like above my coolant appears to be orange but yamalube is blue

will this be ok?

IMG_5917.jpeg

IMG_5918.jpeg

Edited by Lewie

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Can anyone advise please

crazy but my local dealer closes on a Saturday 

Yes bud, put bike level if you can or get a neighbour, top it up slowly. Then run it a few mins. Turn off. Wait a few mins to settle then check again. Top up to the max line. 
types of coolant shouldn’t be mixed. Who did your last coolant swap (if any). May as well stick to the yammy stuff. If In doubt, just top up with water in an emergency, then replace later. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Thanks 

the above antifreeze / coolant look ok?

Sorry, just edited my entry😁
Sticking with yammy fluids is a safe bet. No cause for them to grumble in any warranty claim etc. But I’ll put any coolant in temporarily as it’s better than none. But then I’m a Land Rover man. 😂
just never put a coolant leak stopper in unless your in the desert and it’s life saving. The stuff ruins engines. Not relevant now but thought I’d mention it in a coolant thread. 🍺

Edited by Dougie

Just strange the yamelube is green and my fluid is orange 

Toppies looks orange too

Edited by Lewie

@Lewie  yours looks a little weird to me.  Kinda radioactive like.  As Dougie suggested I'd put water in it just to bring it up to level until you can purchase the proper coolant.  Then personally I'd flush and fill the bike with all new coolant of the proper spec to the right level.  It probably needs it anyway.  Then you know what you have is right.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DT675 said:

yours looks a little weird to me.  Kinda radioactive like

Funny!!! 

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

As suggested I’ve topped it up with some distilled water to 1/2 way 

I’ll drop in to the dealers Monday- only has 3800 miles on it

IMG_5922.jpeg

• Like 1