Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Replacing Bars; Keeping Guards

eddylindenstein

Hoping someone can help me out..  I am not a fan of the stock sweep of the T7 handlebars.  I ordered the Pro Taper Evo Adventure bars to replace them with.  I'm curious if I can retain the stock handguards with the new bars somehow?  

Why do you want to keep those weak plastic bits?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Why do you want to keep those weak plastic bits?

T7 Barkbusters kits are sold out everywhere.  The Hepco kit looks great, but fits over the existing handguards.  I don't want to swap the handlebars until I have the guards.

Acerbis. Look great, offer protection like Barkbusters, according to several reports.

Mine did take the T7's whole weight today, small scratches - nothing else.

i also got the acerbis.. used barkbusters but my clutch cable got damaged by them [apperenly you need to order and aditional item with long waiting times to prefent this]

thy have different plastic's that fit the aluminium bracket

also if the bars have threads you should be able to. if not than you need to thread them.

watch it with the thread type.  i made a mistake with that as well.. and now i use the plug style fastening of acerbis.

Edited by CoreCass

3 minutes ago, CoreCass said:

i also got the acerbis.. used barkbusters but my clutch cable got damaged by them [apperenly you need to order and aditional item with long waiting times to prefent this]

thy have different plastic's that fit the aluminium bracket

also if the bars have threads you should be able to. if not than you need to thread them.

watch it with the thread type.  i made a mistake with that as well.. and now i use the plug style fastening of acerbis.

Would you mind giving me a link for the Acerbis kit you got - like anything I'd need to get?

6 minutes ago, eddylindenstein said:

Would you mind giving me a link for the Acerbis kit you got - like anything I'd need to get?

no problem hand guard Acerbis X-Factor

plastic's you can see them at acerbis them selfs. as not all retailers have all.

as long its a x-factor or atleast matching with the bar it self.

cross-enduro-universal-hand-guards-acerb

Cross Enduro Universal hand guards Acerbis X-Factor Black is available at a great price: discover our extensive catalog and buy only the best products for your road trips.

Edited by CoreCass

3 hours ago, eddylindenstein said:

Hoping someone can help me out..  I am not a fan of the stock sweep of the T7 handlebars.  I ordered the Pro Taper Evo Adventure bars to replace them with.  I'm curious if I can retain the stock handguards with the new bars somehow?  

Most aftermarket handlebars need to be threaded to accept the stock bar end weights so you can use the stock handgurds.

Just pickup a properly sized tap to thread your new bars.

If I remember correctly the thread is M16x1.5 .