Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pro taper and Tenere Barkbusters


Jo John Johnson
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello guys!

 

I bought some pro taper bars and the tenere specific bark busters for my bike. Did I mess up? After doing some researching it looks like I have to tap the bars. What would be an easier solution; getting different bark busters or tapping the handle bars that I bought? And is it true I have to grind off the nub on the back of the controls to get them to fit on after market bars?

 

Sorry for the ignorance and thanks to any one that can help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jo John Johnson said:

Hello guys!

 

I bought some pro taper bars and the tenere specific bark busters for my bike. Did I mess up? After doing some researching it looks like I have to tap the bars. What would be an easier solution; getting different bark busters or tapping the handle bars that I bought? And is it true I have to grind off the nub on the back of the controls to get them to fit on after market bars?

 

Sorry for the ignorance and thanks to any one that can help!

Well two options on the “nub”, remove it, or drill a hole in the bars. You could say the bar is then weakened. But it’ll still be pretty strong. A small round hole isn’t like a crack or fault. There are holes in everything used for strength (beams, bulkheads etc.) I removed the nub on previous fits, and put electrical tape around the bar for extra grip under the clamp/throttle cable housing. You could remove some of the nub, and drill partly the way through for location, just a detent. That’s if you already know the right comfortable location 
 

Edited by Dougie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I broke the nub on the OEM bar because i wanted to turn the handlebar but leave the controls in the old position.
The first owner bend the handlebar and Saturday i bent the new one i got from the dealer, probably because of the hole (it's bend somewhere round the hole position).
I nor ordered a Renthal Fatbar and i will tap a tread in it (M16 x 1,5) to be able to use what i already have.
Hopefully this one last more than a month and a halve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jo John Johnson said:

Hello guys!

 

I bought some pro taper bars and the tenere specific bark busters for my bike. Did I mess up? After doing some researching it looks like I have to tap the bars. What would be an easier solution; getting different bark busters or tapping the handle bars that I bought? And is it true I have to grind off the nub on the back of the controls to get them to fit on after market bars?

 

Sorry for the ignorance and thanks to any one that can help!

Instead of tapping the bars, you could get the expanding inserts that BB uses with many kits.  There is a size for most any bar Inner diameter. 

 

The bigger question, which I hope someone else can answer, is whether the inboard clamps end up in the right location.  The Protaper bar may be wider and/or have a different taper or sweep, such that the clamps don’t work.

 

In my experience, mixing and matching Barkbusters is a dark art.  I would think about a kit that BB (or someone here) can verify fits.

 

BTW which Protaper bar, the Adventure or another?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zero600 said:

Instead of tapping the bars, you could get the expanding inserts that BB uses with many kits.  There is a size for most any bar Inner diameter. 

 

The bigger question, which I hope someone else can answer, is whether the inboard clamps end up in the right location.  The Protaper bar may be wider and/or have a different taper or sweep, such that the clamps don’t work.

 

In my experience, mixing and matching Barkbusters is a dark art.  I would think about a kit that BB (or someone here) can verify fits.

 

BTW which Protaper bar, the Adventure or another?

I bought the Protaper Contour bars. I read somewhere else that they were a pretty close match to the OEM bars, which I didn't have a problem with so I went with those. But now after realizing I have to drill holes for location and tap the bars for hand guards, Im considering just purchasing some OEM bars. Now my next post is going to be a question on where to source those bars lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Well two options on the “nub”, remove it, or drill a hole in the bars. You could say the bar is then weakened. But it’ll still be pretty strong. A small round hole isn’t like a crack or fault. There are holes in everything used for strength (beams, bulkheads etc.) I removed the nub on previous fits, and put electrical tape around the bar for extra grip under the clamp/throttle cable housing. You could remove some of the nub, and drill partly the way through for location, just a detent. That’s if you already know the right comfortable location 
 

All of that sounds terrible lol. Now I just want to get some new OEM bars. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah 🙂

 

Quite a few people here seem to get replace their bars, so you should be able to find someone willing to part with their OEM bars.  Best of luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

@Jo John JohnsonAre you still looking for OEM bars?

 

Ironically, it is ME that is now swapping to Protaper bars.  I had the Protaper Adventure on my last bike and they really eased my wrist/elbow pain.

 

LMK if you need the OEM bars, coming off my bike next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Zero600 Yes! I bought some pro taper bars that I regret just because I don't want to do all the work of tapping and drilling holes. How much you selling for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.