Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

48mm KYB SSS Forks installed

jeff4ex@yahoo.c

G'day

It's been a long project with lots of learning along the way, but I have successfully installed 48mm KYB SSS forks into my Tenere 700.

I took the project on while in C19 lock down. 

I've attached a short video on how I did it, the required parts and modifications I did to the bike.

I understand that this is not for everyone and the standard or upgraded 43mm forks will be fine for 99.9% of Tenere 700 riders. 

As mentioned in the Video, I believe Cory from @Camel ADV may have a kit in the pipeline, which would make this a lot easier.

As for the bike feel/handling, its next level.

Cheers Jeff 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor
11 hours ago, jeff4ex@yahoo.c said:

G'day

It's been a long project with lots of learning along the way, but I have successfully installed 48mm KYB SSS forks into my Tenere 700.

I took the project on while in C19 lock down. 

I've attached a short video on how I did it, the required parts and modifications I did to the bike.

I understand that this is not for everyone and the standard or upgraded 43mm forks will be fine for 99.9% of Tenere 700 riders. 

As mentioned in the Video, I believe Cory from @Camel ADV may have a kit in the pipeline, which would make this a lot easier.

As for the bike feel/handling, its next level.

Cheers Jeff 

Well done! Swapping these fork in to the T7 is very involved but worth the time and effort IMO.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

28 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Well done! Swapping these fork in to the T7 is very involved but worth the time and effort IMO.

A little Birdie told me that Yamaha will be releasing SSS forks as GTYR upgrade parts to fit directly on the T-7, and a future T7 will come with them as stock.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Vendor
42 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

A little Birdie told me that Yamaha will be releasing SSS forks as GTYR upgrade parts to fit directly on the T-7, and a future T7 will come with them as stock.  

They'd be crazy not to.

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

It was definitely worth the effort Cory, different bike.

@CruizinNo doubt like the Norden 901, it will more than likely cost half the price of the bike. 

Edited by jeff4ex@yahoo.c
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2022 at 1:25 PM, Cruizin said:

That’s awesome news!! I hope they release them soon!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I'm starting a full 48 mm swap. I bought almost everything I need to make the mod. I found a yz450 25 mm offset trip clamp. In the video you mention the bottom bearing is the same as the t7 one. I checked yesterday and found they are not the same dimension. The t7 suppose to be 30x55x18 and yzf 30x52x16.  If I understand, the inner bearing is maybe the same but the cup od is larger and the bearing will fit direct in t7 cup...  I did not remove the t7 one to confirm the bearing size... Thanks

11 hours ago, yamyam said:

Hi guys, I'm starting a full 48 mm swap. I bought almost everything I need to make the mod. I found a yz450 25 mm offset trip clamp. In the video you mention the bottom bearing is the same as the t7 one. I checked yesterday and found they are not the same dimension. The t7 suppose to be 30x55x18 and yzf 30x52x16.  If I understand, the inner bearing is maybe the same but the cup od is larger and the bearing will fit direct in t7 cup...  I did not remove the t7 one to confirm the bearing size... Thanks

That's part number 93332-00008-00, which I think is 30x55x17. I just replaced that bottom bearing with a new one when I did my swap, so I know the part number is correct at least.

Are you talking about using the yzf bearing with the T7 cup?

advgoats.com

Are you talking about using the yzf bearing with the T7 cup?

Yes, so the id shaft is the same but not the od of the cup.  Are you reusing the t7 triple clamp 'axle' to press fit into the yz clamps? You did a bushing for the bottom one?  I found a bearing that can fit with the the upper yz axle with the t7 cup measurement instead of swaping the axle. But, it's only 12 mm thick... 

1 hour ago, yamyam said:

Yes, so the id shaft is the same but not the od of the cup.  Are you reusing the t7 triple clamp 'axle' to press fit into the yz clamps? You did a bushing for the bottom one?  I found a bearing that can fit with the the upper yz axle with the t7 cup measurement instead of swaping the axle. But, it's only 12 mm thick... 

I don't have yzf triples, but yeah. Offhand it would make more sense to use the T7 steering tube if you can rather than the yzf, but I have no idea what the yzf dimensions are so maybe it doesn't matter. I'd pull the rubber cup off the steering tube of the T7 and measure the diameter there to see if it would fit the bottom yzf triple.

I'm not that familiar with bearings, but I think the cup needs match the OD and height of whatever bearing you're using, especially for tapered bearings.

What are you doing for the lugs?

advgoats.com

What are you doing for the lugs?

For sure the t7 axle don't fit the bottom yz clamp. You can see in the video the bushing to compensate de difference.  I'm using newer yz 48mm forks.  I found ktm stiffer spring and get advice to lower the stock travel. Some did it to 260 mm with good result. I 'm looking to find more infos for this mod...

There are a lot of variences in yzf components between different models, so you'll probably run into a lot of quirks along the way that others haven't.

The lugs on the yzf are completely different also, which might be the biggest challenge. One rotor, no abs sensor (which the T7 uses for speed/odo), and I'm assuming a different axle.

advgoats.com

Just finished the SSS conversion on mine with Cory. Went with a Tractive Xtreme Pro +25mm in the rear and 20mm lowering link to get the geometry back. Unreal difference in handling…until I cartwheeled the bike at the Desert 100 in Washington a couple weekends ago!! Time to rebuild I guess. 

1B8C8EC9-DF7F-4A2E-A6F7-F8F60062E16A.jpeg

B497AD3A-B7D6-4582-861F-7103C4A302B5.jpeg

DA833DFD-7E95-48DC-BF20-4EB7286A6EDE.jpeg

CE080AAC-95FA-437E-A56D-68EACDA8B81E.jpeg

IMG_4338.jpeg

Edited by YYCADVRider

16 minutes ago, YYCADVRider said:

Just finished the SSS conversion on mine with Cory. Went with a Tractive Xtreme Pro +25mm in the rear and 20mm lowering link to get the geometry back. Unreal difference in handling…until I cartwheeled the bike at the Desert 100 in Washington a couple weekends ago!! Time to rebuild I guess. 

1B8C8EC9-DF7F-4A2E-A6F7-F8F60062E16A.jpeg

B497AD3A-B7D6-4582-861F-7103C4A302B5.jpeg

DA833DFD-7E95-48DC-BF20-4EB7286A6EDE.jpeg

CE080AAC-95FA-437E-A56D-68EACDA8B81E.jpeg

IMG_4338.jpeg

Oof what happened? Are the forks and triples still good?

The Soupy's adjustable links are worth the extra dollars to get the geometry and height the way you want them, I think. I was a bit skeptical, but they're pretty robust.

That front bit sucks anyway, just build a tower!

• Like 1

advgoats.com