Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lowering links

Mapbook

I am considering a set of links to lower the saddle by 20mm as i am struggling to get my leg over (no pun intended)

how will this effect the handling?

34 minutes ago, Mapbook said:

how will this affect the handling

IT HAS BEEN DOCUMENTED THAT SHORT GUYS WILL FALL LESS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Mapbook said:

I am considering a set of links to lower the saddle by 20mm as i am struggling to get my leg over (no pun intended)

You can also change the way of getting on and off the bike.

8 hours ago, Mapbook said:

Don't listen to those guys cause their crazy or something.

I have 20 mm lowering links and it does not seem to change anything except the bike is 20 mm lower.  I had adjusted the fork up by 15 mm and then I put them back to original and couldn't tell the difference between the 2 positions.  You won't notice any handling differences at all.   

• Like 5

Any one know the torque values for the link bolts?

(In Newton metres)

thanks

Ta, torque is 49nm just fitted the lower links, i will try it out next week when i have fitted a set of bar risers i've just ordered.  

Edited by Mapbook
update

• 1 month later...

Not to offend anyone but if you're paying attention you should notice a change in handling and suspension action from a lowering link and/or a change in front ride height.  I installed the OEM lowering link (18mm) and found the change in rear suspension action very acceptable.  I dropped the front 10mm to compensate.  With this setup the steering is slightly slower (ie, more stable but takes a little more effort to initial a turn).  Overall I like it this way, but I liked the stock setup even more.  I might test a few more mm of reduced front ride height.  At 5'6" with a 29" inseam I'm willing to take the slight degradation in handling so that I can get at least one toe down.  If you install a lowering link and leave the forks in the stock location, I think the steering would be unacceptably slow, and your front wheel traction will suffer.

I also feel that a large change in rear linkage would be bad.  I suspect 18-20mm is the most that you can go without ruining the way the suspension works, and the bike's balance and handling.

There are other ways to lower a bike if you need to drop it more, but they are more expensive and you'll lose precious ground clearance.

I also tried the OEM lower seat, and did not like it.  Very little improvement in the ability to get a foot down, and definitely less comfortable than the stock seat.

• Like 1