Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

NM BDR Sec 7 (Expert)

WookinPaNub

Quick Summary: Moderately to significantly challenging, readily doable on T7 with / without other rider support.

When: May 6, 2022

Direction: South to north (given the obstacles, this is not the preferred direction)

Number of Riders: Solo 

Ride time Bottom to Top: 1.25 hours (last 15-20min are back on hardpack gravel/dirt)

Rider Skill Level: 50 years old, good physical shape, above average riding skillset

Motorcycle Setup: Bare setup (no luggage) on the T7 with the minimum required items + 1.5L water. Ran 22/24lbs on the tires (definitely helpful to do).

General Route:

• About 15 minutes in the first obstacle is a decently long uphill on fist size loose rock
  • Intermittently there are potentially deep ruts and various rock gardens
  • About 30-40 minutes in is the 'difficult' section you'll find on a number of YouTube vids. Down a ravine with a tight left, shortly followed by a tight right with limited time to pick a good line up over some decent sized rocks and a 7-10" ledge across the middle of the uphill.
  • Following this are some additional obstacles but not overly technical, and the last 15-20min are back on hardpack

Notes:

• Knowing how to slip your clutch to maintain controlled consistent traction over uphill obstacles is extremely helpful
  • The trail does spiderweb in places, often rejoining but not always, gpx tracks are important in addition to the paper map
  • I saw no one on this section of the trail, and there is no cell service.
  • The T7 performed well on the tight uphill turns on obstacles, good clearance on the rocks (never bottomed out), well balanced in complex spots. 

• Like 6

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, WookinPaNub said:

Quick Summary: Moderately to significantly challenging, readily doable on T7 with / without other rider support.

When: May 6, 2022

Direction: South to north (given the obstacles, this is not the preferred direction)

Number of Riders: Solo 

Ride time Bottom to Top: 1.25 hours (last 15-20min are back on hardpack gravel/dirt)

Rider Skill Level: 50 years old, good physical shape, above average riding skillset

Motorcycle Setup: Bare setup (no luggage) on the T7 with the minimum required items + 1.5L water. Ran 22/24lbs on the tires (definitely helpful to do).

General Route:

• About 15 minutes in the first obstacle is a decently long uphill on fist size loose rock
  • Intermittently there are potentially deep ruts and various rock gardens
  • About 30-40 minutes in is the 'difficult' section you'll find on a number of YouTube vids. Down a ravine with a tight left, shortly followed by a tight right with limited time to pick a good line up over some decent sized rocks and a 7-10" ledge across the middle of the uphill.
  • Following this are some additional obstacles but not overly technical, and the last 15-20min are back on hardpack

Notes:

• Knowing how to slip your clutch to maintain controlled consistent traction over uphill obstacles is extremely helpful
  • The trail does spiderweb in places, often rejoining but not always, gpx tracks are important in addition to the paper map
  • I saw no one on this section of the trail, and there is no cell service.
  • The T7 performed well on the tight uphill turns on obstacles, good clearance on the rocks (never bottomed out), well balanced in complex spots. 

This sounds like a great section, I hope to ride it someday. Do you have any pics?

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, WookinPaNub said:

Some screen grabs from the GoPro

Screenshot_20220507-150324_1Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-150338_1Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-150422_1Gallery.jpg

Looks fun. Have you done any of the other BDRs?

6 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Sounds like a great trip. I re evaluated my definition of "expert" T7 riding when I started watching Cory @Camel ADV's videos. 

Yeah. I'm waiting for Seeker 3 - Attack of the Camel.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Looks fun. Have you done any of the other BDRs?

Couple sections of the New Mexico, couple of Arizona, over half of Utah, and most of Colorado. I've found Colorado the most scenic and Utah the most challenging (see my trip report on Lockhart Basin). Gotta a feeling that is right up your alley.

Edited by WookinPaNub
Include link to trip report
  • Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

I appreciate the positive comments posted above about my riding, I'm glad people enjoy watching my videos of bad decisions. However, I am uncomfortable with that feedback being posted here in @WookinPaNub's thread as it distracts from his trip notes and detailed comments about the challenges of this particular chunk of the BDR. This section sounds awesome and I hope I can follow his lead and get down to ride the route sooner than later.

Feel free to sing my praises all you like in my thread ... don't be afraid to lay it on real thick 🤣

Cory

• Like 3