Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

CCT slowly failing

Prestone

Well i have pulled the trigger on an APE CCT, the stock one is slowly giving up on its life, rattle at start up, rattle from 3500-5000 revs and it gets worse and worse, it should arrive next week, dont need to take any chances and have my engine grenade on me.
have tried to tighten it a few times but it just backs out again. Its a complicated and delicate little gizmo, maybe to complicated and delicate infact.

Any one else with this annoying problem on their T7 ?

It has only done 4500 km so far so it is still on the yamalube stuff from the first 1000 km service

And you think a camchain tensioner will fail at 4500km?
The Honda VFR VTEC had bad tensioners and those failed often between 35.000 and 45.000 so even with a bad type you should be able to put a zero behind it.

30 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

And you think a camchain tensioner will fail at 4500km?
The Honda VFR VTEC had bad tensioners and those failed often between 35.000 and 45.000 so even with a bad type you should be able to put a zero behind it.

Well it would be far from the first CCT to fail in a CP2 or CP3 engine this early on, in fact it was so bad on the early models that they changed the design of the CCT and made it oil pressure assisted instead of just only spring pressure, but still you can be unlucky and get a bad one, like mine.

1 hour ago, Prestone said:

Well it would be far from the first CCT to fail in a CP2 or CP3 engine this early on, in fact it was so bad on the early models that they changed the design of the CCT and made it oil pressure assisted instead of just only spring pressure, but still you can be unlucky and get a bad one, like mine.

Get it straight back to them if it’s genuinely failed. Weird though in such a reliable motor. Definitely a loose chain?

Edited by Dougie

The T7 has a two year warranty just  take it to the dealer ( that's what would do ) and I'd definitely not fiddle or adjust it that will void the warranty mate.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, stu uk said:

The T7 has a two year warranty just  take it to the dealer ( that's what would do ) and I'd definitely not fiddle or adjust it that will void the warranty mate.

Luck guys, the US bikes only have a 12 month warranty.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

43 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Lucky guys, the US bikes only have a 12 month warranty.  

Obviously they need more help....

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

The warranty on Yamaha here in Denmark is 5 years if you take it in to the dealer for every service or repair… i never did that on any of my bikes in my 34 years of riding, i have allways made my own service and repair…. I did go in for the first 1000 km oil change on all my bikes, that way i could keep the warranty until next oil change.

take it to the dealer, well i could do that, and then argue with him about whats wrong with it, maybe even get a new CCT after a lot of waiting..  for me its easyer to just order the APE one and put it in when it lands in my mailbox, and never look back 😉

Edited by Prestone
  • Like 3

A little update.

The APE thing is now mounted, silence at last 😊

when i took out the stock CCT the ratchet mechanism in it didnt work at all, it was just bouncing happily fort and back when i applyed pressure to it on the bench, after a bit of fiddeling with it the ratchet came back to life and would stop it from collapsing… the only thing that has held my chain tight was the oil pressure, no wonder it made so many noises.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prestone said:

A little update.

The APE thing is now mounted, silence at last 😊

when i took out the stock CCT the ratchet mechanism in it didnt work at all, it was just bouncing happily fort and back when i applyed pressure to it on the bench, after a bit of fiddeling with it the ratchet came back to life and would stop it from collapsing… the only thing that has held my chain tight was the oil pressure, no wonder it made so many noises.

That is scary. My Tenere has 17000km and I can hear the chain rattling a little bit on and off at idle when the oil is very hot. Most people wouldn’t notice because it is very minor. I think I need to inspect the CCT just to be reassured. 

A little bit is quite normal and nothing to worry about, mine was a lot, like marbels in a tin can when accelerating.

• Sad 1