Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

KTech Piston Kits?

checkyour6

Hi!

I can't find anything online that answers my question so I am asking here..I already have higher rate springs for my weight (210).

1. Can the Ktech piston kit for front AND rear be installed at home? I do all my own work and have had my forks apart before, so I'm fairly certain I can work it out.

2. There are no videos online anywhere that I can find.. has anyone installed both?

3. Is it better just to revalve? People online seem to be saying the stock valving on the rear shock with a higher rate spring is still OK and just to leave it.?

4. I'm in Colorado near Denver, and I can't find anyone to revalve/reshim OR install the Ktech kit, so If i should have someone just do one of these options, any suggestions?

I am about done with the bike, i'm just having a hard time figuring out what to do with the suspension.

Go to the ADVrider.com site, forums, beasts, japanese polycylindered, tenere 700 suspension thread.  Page 1 by a fellow named Motociclo.

I followed this thread and just finished installing new shimstacks with mid valve.  Never done this kind of stuff before, but the info is on that thread!  Changed the bike for the better, this is with the springs for my weight, 200lbs with gear and skid plate included.  Baby heads and cross trail roots just get eaten up and spit out, big g out whoops are no big deal, same trail can now be ridden about 30kph faster.

You have the best wealth of knowledge that i can find on our bikes on that thread.

7 hours ago, checkyour6 said:

Hi!

I can't find anything online that answers my question so I am asking here..I already have higher rate springs for my weight (210).

1. Can the Ktech piston kit for front AND rear be installed at home? I do all my own work and have had my forks apart before, so I'm fairly certain I can work it out.

2. There are no videos online anywhere that I can find.. has anyone installed both?

3. Is it better just to revalve? People online seem to be saying the stock valving on the rear shock with a higher rate spring is still OK and just to leave it.?

4. I'm in Colorado near Denver, and I can't find anyone to revalve/reshim OR install the Ktech kit, so If i should have someone just do one of these options, any suggestions?

I am about done with the bike, i'm just having a hard time figuring out what to do with the suspension.

If you have the tools and a bit of knowledge you could do the forks yourself, but the shock is a different story

3 hours ago, Colddog said:

Go to the ADVrider.com site, forums, beasts, japanese polycylindered, tenere 700 suspension thread.  Page 1 by a fellow named Motociclo.

I followed this thread and just finished installing new shimstacks with mid valve.  Never done this kind of stuff before, but the info is on that thread!  Changed the bike for the better, this is with the springs for my weight, 200lbs with gear and skid plate included.  Baby heads and cross trail roots just get eaten up and spit out, big g out whoops are no big deal, same trail can now be ridden about 30kph faster.

You have the best wealth of knowledge that i can find on our bikes on that thread.

I’ve read that whole thread! I have a lot of mechanical experience, I’ve just never done forks other than spring changes.

Do I just need to look at his valving specs on that first page and order the correct shims?  I want to add the mid valve, I’m just not 100% on it, maybe it’s easier once you have the suspension apart and looking at it.

I also did some more reading tonight and I might just leave the shock as is, and go up a higher rate.  I’m 210 without gear and ktech sold me an 80nm.. I think I should be a 90nm.

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

If you have the tools and a bit of knowledge you could do the forks yourself, but the shock is a different story

I think I will just focus on the front.  

I think I’m too low of spring rate in rear and should be 90nm not 80, I’ll fix that first one 

This helped me a lot with the mid valve build, had to put in 2 spacer shims to set float.  I built my own holding tool but the motion pro tool is better.

I used the shim stacks recommended for .65 fork springs and 100 kg weight.  I put in the 90 rear spring, went from 22 of 24 clicks preload to set sag with stock spring to 2 clicks preload to set sag now!
youtube also has a good series by an author called “Steps to Podium”. All about shim stacks, midvalve etc.  Watched it many times till I talked myself into it!  Wasn’t that bad of a job to do, ktech will probably have a full tutorial for you, racetech does for their gold valves.

12 hours ago, Colddog said:

This helped me a lot with the mid valve build, had to put in 2 spacer shims to set float.  I built my own holding tool but the motion pro tool is better.

I used the shim stacks recommended for .65 fork springs and 100 kg weight.  I put in the 90 rear spring, went from 22 of 24 clicks preload to set sag with stock spring to 2 clicks preload to set sag now!
youtube also has a good series by an author called “Steps to Podium”. All about shim stacks, midvalve etc.  Watched it many times till I talked myself into it!  Wasn’t that bad of a job to do, ktech will probably have a full tutorial for you, racetech does for their gold valves.

thanks, I’ll look into these!

I ordered a 90n spring for back, and will just leave the oem valving on the shock.  

I will stick with the ktech piston kit on the front as it’s pretty much just a drop in.  I realistically just don’t have the time at the moment to delve too deep into learning to re-shim, so hopefull the ktech kit works for me.  

Edited by checkyour6