Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wiring flood lights

S.Ga.Rider

I got a premade kit from Amazon. It's fused with a relay.  I'm assuming there are no issues wiring the battery connection side to the spare power wire I have on the right side aux connector? I have my GPS wired to it but the 2nd power wire is open. I was going to use that as keyed power for the lights and either ground it to the bike or tap into the ground wire in the aux connector. I've read a few horror stories about fried ecu's on this bike from lights😬

Edited by S.Ga.Rider
  • Like 1

I've plenty of wiring in my day, this is one bike I would do an abundant amount of research on before splicing wires.

• Like 1

Order a Thunder box from Sportbike track gear.  Super easy to get switched 12v power.  

healtech_thunderbox_tb_u01__56558.164194

Purchase the HealTech ThunderBox Advanced Power Distribution Module TB-U01 from SportbikeTrackGear.com. Get the lowest price, free shipping deal, easy exchanges and no restocking fees - Guaranteed!

• Like 3

I have installed a few sets of spots before.  I always split the kit wiring to take the relay positive which goes through the switch, to a switched supply.   Less chance to fry the fuse if the spot wiring gets damaged. 

I installed a voltage sensing relay with a inline breaker, all my aftermarket lights, gps are wire in without splicing into the bike besides positive and negative connections to battery terminals.  The picture shows the relay I used. Relay closes the contact when started and voltage is above 13.3v and disconnects when voltage drops below 12.8.  I've had it installed for a few months works great if the bike sits for more than 3-4 weeks I disconnect the inline breaker otherwise the draw will down the battery. The relay installed it pulls 11-12mA.

IMG_20220219_135407521_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jesse

No need for any of these extra devices on a bike with 4 switched circuits from the factory. 

The horror stories you’re hearing about with lights are from people incorrectly splicing into the high beam wire to trigger their aux lights. 

To answer your original question, what I would do is power the GPS with the 2 pin circuit and use the 3 pin circuit for your lights. 

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 6:53 PM, BMRT7 said:

No need for any of these extra devices on a bike with 4 switched circuits from the factory. 

The horror stories you’re hearing about with lights are from people incorrectly splicing into the high beam wire to trigger their aux lights. 

To answer your original question, what I would do is power the GPS with the 2 pin circuit and use the 3 pin circuit for your lights. 

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Why would yamaha put the plugs on the bike if it was going to fry the ecu. I may go with my orignal thought and wire it into the spare power wire on the right since its not being used and just taped off. 

• Like 1

If anyone else has a similiar question, It works fine. I powered the lights by the 2nd power wire in the 3 pin connector and ran the ground to the negative battery terminal. Now I have keyed power to the lights and switch. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 5/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, S.Ga.Rider said:

If anyone else has a similiar question, It works fine. I powered the lights by the 2nd power wire in the 3 pin connector and ran the ground to the negative battery terminal. Now I have keyed power to the lights and switch. 

I’m new to the T7 and haven’t removed any panels or covers to expose wiring. The PO wired a Zumo XT mount and I can see the cable along the right side of the steering tube and inside the right-side panel near the headlight. I also see a 2-pin accessory plug under the right-side panel below the seat. I don’t know if that’s the connector you’re referring to, or something different. Where are the connectors you mentioned, located? What has to be removed to access them?

My goal is to power led driving lights (through their own switch) when the key is turned to Power On. I’ve wired lights and other accessories before, on my old V-Strom. I’m new to this bike and looking for guidance on where to find what I need.

Thanks!

The connectors are behind the radiator cowls on both sides - the right hand 2 pin is used by the 12v port on the left of the bikes dash

you should have a spare 2 pin on the RH side and a 3 spin spare on either side- they may be taped up to the look- just look you’ll see them one the panel is removed 

check my pics in this post

Edited by Lewie
  • Thanks 1