Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear brake pads disappeared at 1/8”

NeilW

I changed out my tires and noticed I had 1/8” on the rear oem brake pads. I ordered new but went for a 350 mile ride Saturday knowing that I use the front brake about 90% of the time and 100% in the dirt. Of the 359 miles, 77 were dirt. The rest was freeway and highway.  Very little stopping. I got home and washed the bike and see ZERO brake pads ( material) and light scoring of the disc. 
So warning- on oem pads if you see 1/8” left, don’t use the rear brake at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Neil 

What is your total mileage?

7 hours ago, NeilW said:

I changed out my tires and noticed I had 1/8” on the rear oem brake pads. I ordered new but went for a 350 mile ride Saturday knowing that I use the front brake about 90% of the time and 100% in the dirt. Of the 359 miles, 77 were dirt. The rest was freeway and highway.  Very little stopping. I got home and washed the bike and see ZERO brake pads ( material) and light scoring of the disc. 
So warning- on oem pads if you see 1/8” left, don’t use the rear brake at all. 

What will be your choice or name brand of replacement brake pads.?  Mine will need replacing soon I'm sure. 

While doing my T7's 8,000 mile service last week I too found the OEM rear pads worn to about 1/8". I installed a new pair of the Galfer semi-metallic pads recommended and sold by Camel ADV, and during the first ride following installation unintentionally locked the rear when entering a dirt corner. That brought a smile to my face as I said "that's never happened before on this bike" and I realized how much better the new pads really work than OEM. Recalibration of brain and right foot is on-going.  😀  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be ordering a pair soon.  I'll be replacing the rear tire as well so do them both at the same time.  

Anyone else have a preferred brand with good results? 

My'21 T7 rear brake will be an exception. Rear brake has a great feel. It works great. Bike has about 10100 km. Rear brake pads are a half worn. But I'll replace soon. What Brand? I don't know. Maybe Yamaha(brembo) if I can affort It.

Edited by Rekiem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

While doing my T7's 8,000 mile service last week I too found the OEM rear pads worn to about 1/8". I installed a new pair of the Galfer semi-metallic pads recommended and sold by Camel ADV, and during the first ride following installation unintentionally locked the rear when entering a dirt corner. That brought a smile to my face as I said "that's never happened before on this bike" and I realized how much better the new pads really work than OEM. Recalibration of brain and right foot is on-going.  😀  

I changed out my stock pads which were shot at about 5300 miles with pads from CamelADV. Saw a similar improvement in the braking with the new pads.
Did my 8000 mile last weekend and the new rear pads still looked good. Changing the plugs was a bit of a chore. Much easier on the GS 😀

• Like 2

I swapped the OEM for Ferodo sintered like i used always.

• Like 1

I guess I just don't brake as much, looking at my rear brake pads about half worn at 8100 mi. I am basing the half wear estimate by comparing mine to my wife's bike which only has 700 mi.

That being said I am very interested after reading "jdub53's" comments on increased braking power with the change of pads. I have always hated the lack of feedback that you receive from the rear brake.

• Like 1

• Moderators

20220518_080504.jpg.3c46966617d731154776bd47e50bfdde.jpg

3 hours ago, Landshark said:

I'll be ordering a pair soon.  I'll be replacing the rear tire as well so do them both at the same time.  

Galfer rear pads from @Camel ADV and MotoZ RallZ 150. Current mileage is 5,487 on this rear, still showing 6/32" tread remaining on the center lugs. Try not to get distracted by the badass exhaust. 😉

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

8 hours ago, katana said:

Hi Neil 

What is your total mileage?

5500 miles (about)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Landshark said:

Galfer front and back. 

• Like 1

I installed Galfer FD138G1396 Sintered Front Brake Pad and  Galfer FD165G1054 Semi-Metallic/Organic Brake rear Pads last week. Going on a trip next week  next week so ill be putting

them to the test. 

• Like 3

I changed mine with galfer at 3k miles. The oem pads still had life left but felt very vague. The galfers made a big improvemnt on feel and stopping power.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NeilW said:

@NeilW I think you may be riding your toe on the brake pedal... What you described is not normal.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Here's mine at about 4600 km on them.  I'm going to replace them but not until I get a few more miles out of them.

20220519_132840.jpg.f2f0943dad9c3eafa19e6281a351a62e.jpg

5 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Here's mine at about 4600 km on them.  I'm going to replace them but not until I get a few more miles out of them.

20220519_132840.jpg.f2f0943dad9c3eafa19e6281a351a62e.jpg

I am just saying that from 1/8” (3.175 mm) to absent was  somewhere on a 350 mile ride. I’ll post a photo of the remnants shortly as I just got the Galfers in the mail. 

4 hours ago, NeilW said:

I am just saying that from 1/8” (3.175 mm) to absent was  somewhere on a 350 mile ride. I’ll post a photo of the remnants shortly as I just got the Galfers in the mail. 

Here they are. Or rather what isn’t left of them at 5500 miles 

48367CD9-1771-491A-95BC-30DB9DB17804.jpeg

147EC129-3BF9-4093-9A99-904233516FCA.jpeg

17FF0709-16A2-41A4-A175-7B1B9CB6E937.jpeg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NeilW said:

Here they are. Or rather what isn’t left of them at 5500 miles 

48367CD9-1771-491A-95BC-30DB9DB17804.jpeg

147EC129-3BF9-4093-9A99-904233516FCA.jpeg

17FF0709-16A2-41A4-A175-7B1B9CB6E937.jpeg

Thanks for the pics.  Those are some ugly to say the least.  

I have a little less than 3000 miles of use on mine.  I ordered new Galfers yesterday and when they arrive they will be installed.  Thanks for that @NeilW.  

On 5/18/2022 at 6:20 AM, Landshark said:

Galfer.  Had similar problems as others and Galfers improved lifespan and performance.  No brainer in my mind.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Landshark said:

Thanks for the pics.  Those are some ugly to say the least.  

I have a little less than 3000 miles of use on mine.  I ordered new Galfers yesterday and when they arrive they will be installed.  Thanks for that @NeilW.  

6 hours ago, Eric W. said:

Galfer.  Had similar problems as others and Galfers improved lifespan and performance.  No brainer in my mind.  

And it is so easy to replace the pads, front and rear. If anyone reading is hesitating because of concern it is hard. It is simple.   watch this video 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2