Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Motoadventureman's long term test

Motoadventure

The old T7 was fantastic at getting itself out of thick mud in a river bed the Anakki wilds griped and the lie bottom end of the motor just dragged the bike out. Tyre pressures where 16psi front and 20psi rear a little high   I think but kept them up to preserve the rims. Any advise on tyre pressures for trail riding will be gladly received. 

ECABD690-72CC-4177-8740-1C5EEE736CA3.jpeg

B8EFCBB5-8329-4EC6-A543-3950CFA350B6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Dragging the T7 about is also a whole lot easier with the yam pannier rack having handles also protects the rear and helps picking it up when you fall off 

E8A2E325-A863-4A62-BD60-9146918E105A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

The old girl was steady as a rock on the fast dirt roads as stable as anything. Sat down as 100 + mph just looking for the next corner. This bike hooks up in any condition and the power is that smooth it does not need any electronic aids to help 

04F091C7-1847-4D80-9333-4E0D4FF6FA95.jpeg

• Like 3

The old girl was steady as a rock on the fast dirt roads as stable as anything. Sat down as 100 + mph just looking for the next corner. This bike hooks up in any condition and the power is that smooth it does not need any electronic aids to help 

Looking at the fuel it has averaged 47mph on the full trip with over 1000k off road and riding on the motorways of France and Spain fully loaded with camping gear at 130km or around 90moh. This is a truly go anywhere and do anything bike 

42775796-DF23-4A1F-91F2-60ECEF08EC79.jpeg

AE3A9915-72E7-4513-9B72-4C3053817B33.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Motoadventure said:

Good to hear. Some folks on ADVrider have been wondering...

What's the handling like with the luggage?  Is it ok, heavy, big impact, etc. ?

Not really focusing on the top case but the pannier luggage.

How is the bike with the pannier luggage? 

What about in the trail?

cheers Mick.

2 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

What about in the trail?

cheers Mick.

It’s OK the panniers has all the camping gear in stove petrol type and tools etc weight was 15kg each. I put 35psi in the rear tyre and 32 psi front. I also wound up the rear suspension 7 clicks measuring the bike empty and loaded to get it back to the same height. I did have a lighter flighty feel with the front but was OK.

cheers Mick 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do like the top box as I dump the panniers in hotels etc and use it for all the items for the trail. Also have a carry bag with clothes and toiletries in which can be taken in hotels and on ferries locking the helmet in the box. 

• Thanks 1

Not yet 😀    Winter is rolling in quickly and 690 is going to storage before too long.

The T7 isn't due here in the US until mid 2020 at least. This would be my first set of luggage though.

Currently I ratchet strap (2) 60 ltr LOMO bags to a back plate. Thanks for sharing your luggage experience.

Custom extended aluminum rear rack plate with holes for hooks hold the gear solid.

Surprising how well it handles.

T7 on the way !

Safe travels. cheers.

Charles

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 2.51.21 PM.png

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Motoadventure said:

Have you got any trips planned ADV? 

Longer trips are coming in the future !

Thank you Mick. Cheers and safe travels to All.

T7_RED_W_BAGS.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Great info as always, thanks Mick. It is going to be a long wait until "Early Spring 2020" here in Canada, but thankfully we have you posting these great in depth updates. Its nice to see this machine getting put through the paces. My main concern has been protecting the rear, as I have no interest in panniers. It is safe to say that the Yamaha "Side cases stay set" is a decent choice at this point, as it looks like it has served you well. I suppose my only alternative is strictly protecting the exhaust only with something like this R&G Exhaust protector, which looks to me like a compromise for sure. 

Exhaust Protector for Yamaha YZF-R1/R1M '15-, Yamaha MT-10 '16-, Kawasaki ZX10R '16- and Honda CBR1000RR / SP / SP2 '17- & Royal Enfield Himalayan '17- models

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

2 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

What about in the trail?

cheers Mick.

Tell em to get their butts over here to the Tenere 700 forum! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The road to Andorra, ashamed to say we failed after 2 hours of riding in thre snow we where turned back by a snow plough. 

IMG_5970.jpg

• Like 1

Following a mostly successful trip I have had a few days back to work and pondered in the events and bike. I was totally surprised with the T7’s long distance capabilities and can confirm is was more comfortable than my GS 800 Adventure. The fuel economy averaged out at 47mph over the 3,000 miles, ridden quite hard and about 1,000 off road. Cruising on the motorway and toll roads was also great doing 130km across France and Spain with ease.  

CCD9466F-59E9-4737-B9E5-6C0F8B3BEA1E.jpeg

• Like 2

Seat height I struggled with as I have 30” inside leg to bought the lowering bones for the rear shock and lowered the forks in the yokes about 12mm which helped. I have just taken delivery of the Yamaha low seat so should help. It’s personal preference but when trail riding I like a low bike and be able to get my feet on the floor makes things a bit easier 

• Like 1

Thanks for the review!

As I am rocking only 29" inseams, it seems I would I have to go with both low link & low seat until I am comfortable with the bike.

Now for that 12mm drop of the fork, was it just for the height or was it also for the geometry when you drop the rear link?

Also as dumb as this sound, do you mind/have a picture of you on the bike with the leg threw over standing still?

Highly appreciated if you do...

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 2

Just found out how to post YouTube video's. I am no threat to Mr Spielberg 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi away from home for a day or so I will get a photo over as soon as I can. I just dropped the forks 12 mm to even things out a bit. 

The bike was OK standard  but for trail riding a prefer it lowering. 

Cheers Mick 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 12/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, TimmyTheHog said:

Thanks for the review!

As I am rocking only 29" inseams, it seems I would I have to go with both low link & low seat until I am comfortable with the bike.

Now for that 12mm drop of the fork, was it just for the height or was it also for the geometry when you drop the rear link?

Also as dumb as this sound, do you mind/have a picture of you on the bike with the leg threw over standing still?

Highly appreciated if you do...

I’ve 29” inside leg(s) and just the lower seat and I cope just the best ☺️

• Like 1